Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! They're trying to withhold my vacation pay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butterface

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Help! They're trying to withhold my vacation pay Reply with quote

I was four days away from finishing my contract when my employer dragged me in and told me that I hit a kid earlier in the week. Which I did, but it was the kind of slap you could give to a sleeping person and they wouldn't even wake up. If there was a mostquito on his cheek, the mostquito wouldn't have noticed. A love slap. Nothing that I haven't seen other teachers do on a regular basis. Anyway, the kid cried to his mom and the mom cried to the school and the boss said, " I have to punish you, not because we think you did something wrong but because we have to tell the parents we did something." I said, go ahead. All they would consider is withholding my vacation-- vacation they never gave me in the first place but damn well better pay me for because it's in my contract. So I'm wondering, what can I do? How do I report them or is there any legal document I could site that explain that this is wrong and a blatant violation of my contract.
Furthermore, it's extortion. Once they got the money, everything was great. They didn't even want me to apologize; more proof that this was a scam to line their pockets rather than appease some angry parents.

thanks
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, well at least their not trying to withold severance pay (touch wood). I can't give anymore advice then to say that you might want to contact efl law or give them an email at [email protected]

CLG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about standing in the corner for three minutes with your hand up? That sounds like more suitable punishment than taking away your vacation pay. Echo CLG here - ouch! I doubt that there's anything in your contract about punishment pay... take CLG's advice and get in touch with EFL Law.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or perhaps punish the director

'I will pay my teachers all benefits to which they are legally entitled to'

I think 1000 times will suffice and if they don't make it beautiful they have to do it again.

CLG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: