Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those staying in shape...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rawiri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate,
theres no way white rice is the problem, that defies logic, how many fat koreans, chinese, japanese etc. do you see?, its just common sense, if your putting on a gut, run it off, eat all the rice you want!
gmat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone a little while ago referred to Koreans/Asians as fat skinny-people (skin, fat and bones with not much muscle). I thought that was pretty dead on.

Anyway, white rice can be a problem. A high glycemic-index carb. Carbohydrate foods that breakdown quickly during digestion have the highest glycemic indexes. Their blood sugar response is fast and high. This is not good.

If you check out www.bodyforlife.com for example, white rice is not one of the Body-for-Life (BFL) approved carbs. BFL is a plan for getting and staying in shape. Six small meals per day, adequate protein , lots of water, etc...

The carbs/vegetables approved on the plan include:
baked potato, sweet potato, yams, squash, pumpkin, steamed brown rice, steamed wild rice, pasta, oatmeal, barley, beans, kidney beans, corn, strawberries, melon, apple, orange, fat-free yogurt, whole-wheat bread, high-fiber cereal, rice cake, popcorn, tortilla, whole grains

broccoli, asparagus ,lettuce ,carrots, cauliflower, green beans, green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, tomato, peas, brussels sprouts, artichoke, cabbage, celery, zucchini, cucumber, onion

Other website to check out are the one Butterfly mentioned http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ or http://www.physiquetransformation.com/home.htm

ps. There is an excellent FREE e-book available for downloading at the physiquetransformation.com website. A good quick read. And no, I am not affiliated with these site. I found lots of good info there if you are trying to get in better shape, including getting rid of the spare tire - even if you are over 30 Hank Laughing !
rawiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look im sorry mate but i gotta disagree, all this scientific stuff is fine in theory and im sure there is ample evidence to back up whatever they have found, but COME ON!, its rice for crying out loud, so long as you burn off whatever your eating its sweet as, dont get caught up in all the b.s, just use your common sense, i.e ive been a lazy bugger the last lil while, neglecting exercise, spending 2 much time chuffing away in the pc bang, so i try not to eat too much, but once (tommorrow) i commit to the gym and exercise in general ill be cramming as much rice down my gullet as i can as its cheap, nutritionous sp?, cheap and above all cheap!.
gmat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is scientific, not a theory Laughing . I realize white rice is not a bad as say, OD'ing on Snickers bars. BUT.....

The guy asked if it could be a problem. Any nutritionist will tell you that over consumption of high-glycemic foods can cause health problems and weight problems. If you want a six-pack or to get rid of the gut the best way is to cut back on these foods. It is not rocket science.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, white rice isn't going to kill you though.

It really is all about calories in vs. calories out. It is very simple. Look at some healh and nutrition websites and you'll find this to be the most common advice. Lower your caloric intake and burn more calories through exercise in your daily routine.

Many websites will provide calculators with which you can figure out your daily comsumption of calories and what kind of diet/exercise routine you will need to have to lose the weight you want in the time you want.
wuzza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: exercise before you eat Reply with quote

I don't follow body for life to the letter (too difficult for me...) but one thing that someone has already mentioned is the exercising BEFORE you eat anything.

Your body has nothing to burn for the required energy, so it will go into your fat reserves. This has worked for me. After that, if you burn more calories than you intake, then you will lose weight.

Body for life recommends not eating for an hour or two after because your body's metabolism is still raised and burning the fat, though you should get plenty, plenty of water, or else your body will retain it if it's scarce.

If you want good abs, no amount of dieting will do it for you, you need to be doing crunches, sit-ups etc, or just go online and buy those electro-pads. A friend of mine swears by them, but I have no direct experience, and they are kinda expensive if they don't work. Actually I'd be interested in hearing from other people who've had experience with them.

Also, "experts" now say that weight training is better than aerobic for losing weight and burning fat. If you take it in moderation, your body should start to look like you want it over time, and you won't end up with bursting-veins he-man look either.

Good luck
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of protein powder would be good in a shake in the morning? I am trying to make a quick and nutritious breakfast. I will have breakfast at 6:30 then exercise at 8:30. I don't have time to eat after working out and I cannot exercise before 8:30. So, what is the best breakfast to eat at 6:30 if my main goal is to lose fat?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tembo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

Why can't you exercise before 8:30? Is the gym closed, or just that you can't get up that early. I ascribe to the cardio before breakfast routine. You ought just buy some Whey protein powder to mix with milk or water for breakfast. Drink it and have a carb too: banana, barley, whole wheat cereal...something like that. --Tembo
raytownloc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardio before brekfast works so well because you are burning fat directly... which is the goal, right? Plus it kick starts your metabolism first thing in the morning.

If I drank all the time and ate lost of rice I'd be soooo fat, but all the Koreans are skinny... how is that?
Cedar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are cooking at home, always add some other stuff to your rice- barley, black rice, millet- those sorts of grains cooked together with your rice will give you the same "Korean" meal, but much healthier than just white rice.

Koreans I exercise with sit down and eat two or three big bowls of rice (with side dishes and soup) at one shot. And they are truly hard.

Crunches does nothing to get rid of extra around the belly, it just hardens what is UNDER the extra.

Just my ten won.
A.I.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Tembo wrote:
You ought just buy some Whey protein powder to mix with milk or water for breakfast. Drink it and have a carb too: banana, barley, whole wheat cereal...something like that. --Tembo

Am I walking round with my eyes shut or just looking in all the wrong places? Where do you buy stuff like Whey Protein, creatine and other body friendly substances in Korea? I guess it doesn't help that I live in a small town- but if anyone could name some of the shops they buy their supplies at in any of the larger cities I can make a trip and stock up. You have no idea what a huge favour you will be doing me. I'm starting to lose my morning calm. Confused
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

A.I. wrote:
Am I walking round with my eyes shut or just looking in all the wrong places? Where do you buy stuff like Whey Protein, creatine and other body friendly substances in Korea? I guess it doesn't help that I live in a small town- but if anyone could name some of the shops they buy their supplies at in any of the larger cities I can make a trip and stock up. You have no idea what a huge favour you will be doing me. I'm starting to lose my morning calm. Confused

Namdaemun black market.
Tembo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Supplements Reply with quote

Soong Rae Moon underground Import Market in Namdaemun Market near Gate 1.

Here is a sample of what you can find...

ProLab Whey 5lb container W48,000
EAS Whey 5lb container W48,000
EAS Myoplex 42 packets W105,000
EAS Myoplex Delux 36 packets W105,000
Meso-Tech 14 packets W50,000
Meso-Tech Bar W3,500
TwinLab Gainers Fuel 1000 W35,000
ProLab Creatine Powder 600g W30,000
Weider Creatine Capsuls 150caps W20,000
ProLabGlutamine Powder 400g W33,000
GNC Glutamine W65,000
EAS Betagen 198g W40,000
EAS PhosphagenHP 2lbs W28,000

He's got much more. Not sure what all the above stuff is exactly, but if you're reading this you may. Heck, one guy even had competition sun tanning paint (No thanks!).

Anyway, the HOURS are: M-F 6am - 7pm; Sat. 8:30 - 7pm; closed on Sunday. Good luck to you!
A.I.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Tembo- you rock!
Tembo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Missing Wheat? Reply with quote

Hannam Supermarket has "wheatabix" (Mr. Toby's?)type wheat brick cereal. 5,000 won for 48 bricks. A lot cheaper than some cereal from "on base". So far that is the only "whole wheat" product that I have found in the normal shelf in Korea....is it hiding? -Tembo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: