Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I too old?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Am I too old? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this site for some time now and have recently started to send resumes. I've learned lots from all of you and appreciate having this site. I am 45 years old and am wondering how this will affect my job hunt. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by fxman on Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your age will affect your job hunt a bit, but not much overall.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Age barrier Reply with quote

I am your age fxman and I have not encountered any problems. Smile

Happy hunting,

Kate
coolsage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: am I to old? Reply with quote

No, you're not too old. However, the fact that you cannot spell an adjective as small as "too" correctly, or even bother to Spellcheck the thing, suggests that you are a person without finesse or discretion. I hope that you have more language skills than your opening remarks imply. Otherwise, you'll be degrading the practice that those of us who have been engaged in this racket for some time have endeavored to do. If you choose to come here, clean up your language. Seriously.
fxman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to those with CONSTRUCTIVE things to say. As for coolsage, who pissed in your coffee? Are you the official high inquisitor of spelling and grammar on this site? So I missed an 'o' when typing tooooooo fast.
BFD. You better get some more piss coffee ready 'cuz ther are about a thousand more errorrrrs to be found all over the place. Oh and sorry if I don't put in happy faces and quotes and all manner of other fancy crap. this is the first time I've ever put something on some bulletin board or whatever this is called. So won' you please forgive me??BOO HOO You plick.
Ghostinthemachine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolsage take the beam out of your own eye.

Quote:
Otherwise, you'll be degrading the practice that those of us who have been engaged in this racket for some time have endeavored to do.

If you're going to pull someone else up on their language skills in a post at least make sure yours are above reproach first.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine on Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxman! i'd like to apologize for coolsage who lives in chunchon where you can practically see the NORKS building nuclear weapons. it's so close to the border. in fact the NORKS like to scare people by serving over tennis balls slathered with sloppily spelled slogans and lacking in gracefully executed, proper grammar. it sounds ridiculous, but it's no joke to live through let me tell you. why? the NORKS know that without english teachers south korea would be paralyzed, so they directly insult common usage using uncommonly vicious methods.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't someone just edit the subject? I'm sure many people were thinking the same thing, also realizing it was a typing mistake.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not picking on the original poster, fxman, however what "coolsage" posted has some merit to it. It does not matter I suppose in Korea about spelling, etc. But most companies around the world would not hire someone who submit's a badly worded article, etc. It shows lack of personal attention to detail and exhibits laziness which would affect the companies bottom line. They figure that if someone can't "do it" correctly then chances are they will not do a good job for the company. And they would be right. Too old fxman? Lot's of ESL people here far older than you!
Go for it but check out the school.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wombat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think how someone types on a message board is indicative of anything - their language skills, their intelligence, their capability as a teacher. Lighten up, everyone! I hate the way some people love to mindlessly quibble about the most insignificant things.

Fxman - my best friend is 45 and he has no trouble finding work here. Go for it!

Wombat

PS - For the sake of pointing things out, hellofaniceguy, it should be "Lots of people" instead of "Lot's of people". You know, since these things are so important.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're good at what you do your age will not matter.
There's a bit of hump sometimes.
but if "you da man", then "you da man"

There's an error in your topic title and it don't mean squat.
coolsage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: am I to old? Reply with quote

to FXman, myapologies. I made the idiot mistake of having a couple of cocktails before logging on to this board. And I'm a little stressed; serving up the goods for 500+ freshmen this semester has about done me in. I need a vacation, and I'm about to get one. Good luck on your job search. By the way, I'm 55.
rapier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fx man- its encouraging to know that people over 40 can still score teaching work in Korea. Who knows, I may even be in that position one day...!
Draven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

If we're picking nits, then...

hellofaniceguy wrote:
But most companies around the world would not hire someone who summit's a badly worded article, etc.

How does one 'summit' a badly worded article? Climb atop it? Rolling Eyes What does this say about you, hellofaniceguy? Just a typo, eh? Maybe you should afford the OP the same consideration that you obviously require.

Give the dude a break.

fxman, good luck with your job hunt. Smile
fxman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: peace Reply with quote

Hi guys, It's me again. Thanks to all of my defenders. Coolsage, apology accepted. I am not an english major or especially good at grammar. This is why at this time I am taking a TEFL cert class and studying grammar. I do aspire to be better. I have done some teaching (in other subjects) and have been told by qualified evaluators that I am good at it. I saw the error in the subject line after I submitted the query and didn't know how to change it. If anybody can tell me how to edit it I would like to know. I thank you all for your wisdom and advice. I now know that I am indeed "not to (sic) old". I would actually like to delete this whole thing from the board as I feel this horse has been beat to death.

Coolsage, I understand stress. I am also way too stressed. Good luck on your situation.

Peace out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: