Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want Advice About SLR 35mm Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Want Advice About SLR 35mm Cameras Reply with quote

I want to buy a good quality SLR 35mm. I've been doing a lot of research on the internet. So far the name that seems to pop up the most is the Nikon N80. Does anyone have this camera or know anything about it? Most of the reviews were pretty good.
One thing I'm concerned about is the focusing. Most cameras come with AF (autofocus). However, I'm thinking I might like manual focus. But on some cameras that have AF the MF isn't very good when you switch over. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is a good camera that has good AF and MF? And I also want a camera that is compatible with other lenses and accessories. I read that the only problem some people had with the N80 was that not all Nikon accessories would fit it. I'm looking to spend up to 300 000won.
I'm not just looking for advice on this model. I'd like any advice on buying an SLR camera, important features, good model, etc.. Thanks.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Cannon EOS 66 last year. It cost me around 250 dollars I think, but I got it in Singapore, not Korea. I saw it on display at the local wal-mart 2 weeks ago for something like 400,000 won, i couldn't believe it. You probably could find it for a cheaper price at Yongsan or Technomart.

Anyway, it is a pretty basic SLR camera but its taken great pictures, I have no complaints. I haven't noticed a drop in quality when using MF as opposed to AF. You can buy accessories to it, but not sure about buying another lense for it.

I'm no expert on cameras or photography. I just wanted a camera that I could do more with than just your basic camera. I did some research like you, but unfortunately all the info I had was on cameras sold in the USA. It gave a good idea of how much I should pay, but when I asked for those types of models in Singapore, they didn't have them in stock. Instead, they had the asian versions of everything. i'm not sure why companies like Cannon do this since they have a USA version that is virtually a carbon copy of the one I bought. It just complicates things for us North Americans Smile. Anyway, keep that in mind while you're shopping as well.

And if you're leaving Korea anytime soon, you'll probably find it cheaper wherever you're going.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: 35mm Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I'm concerned about is the focusing. Most cameras come with AF (autofocus). However, I'm thinking I might like manual focus. But on some cameras that have AF the MF isn't very good when you switch over. Does anyone have any experience with this? What is a good camera that has good AF and MF? And I also want a camera that is compatible with other lenses and accessories. I read that the only problem some people had with the N80 was that not all Nikon accessories would fit it. I'm looking to spend up to 300 000won.

Try http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html for some other help. It's mostly digital cameras, but there's some 35mm help also.

Most autofocus SLR systems are essentially manual-focus lenses with a motor inside the lens or in the SLR body turning the lens into focus. Optically, switching into manual focus should result in equally good or bad pictures, but you should look at how this switching is done and if it's comfortable and easy to adjust the lens with one hand.

300k Won is a little low to invest in a Nikon system. I find their cheapie cameras kind of poor. Wait until you have been doing this for years, and then buy a good Nikon setup if you're so inclined. For now, buy something simple with easy to use controls and good lenses. If you buy new, look at one of the Minolta or Canon or Pentax offerings. Or, buy used, and look for an ME Super or something similar. I find that Korea has lots of secondhand camera stuff, at least in Busan.

Buy a 50mm lens and a good quality zoom, like a 70-210 (look for a zoom with a smooth moving barrel and a slightly purple tint on the lens front, which indicates antiglare coatings). Take the money you saved and take mountains of pictures, and practise different types of exposure settings, and work on framing and composing your shots. This is more important than fancy program settings and autofocus, although they are good inventions which are useful timesavers. My 2c.

Ken:> http://keneckert.byus.net/pictures/picbranch.html
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a canon EOS 5, and before that a canon REBEL-G both great SLR's.

The body on my EOS 5 cost me 650,000 won without lenses, but fortuneately I already had two lenses. 300,000 won will probably get you a low end camera with a crappy kit lens, which you will want to replace when you realize that it takes terrible pictures.

Go to yongsan or namdaemun for cameras
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

As far as Iam aware SLRs that only have manual focus have a focusing target (not the right technical term i am sure). Most auto focus SLRs don't have this so it is more diffifult to judge if the frame is in focus. If you want to do just manual focusing you can probably buy a good used camera for a cheap price. You can learn on that and see where to go. If price is no object get a digetal SLR. The new ones offer over 5 or 6 mega pixels. at that high of resoloution they equal a regular SLR camera when a photo is blown up to the same size as an A4 piece of paper. PLus you can choose the film speed, aperature, shutter speed, colour or black and white, etc.
I have a canon rebel 2000. same as the rebel g i think. It's a good entry level camera. For the price that it sells at, at least in Canada, it has the most bang for your buck.
Cedar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon N or F80 is a good camera. PM me for more details. It's a high level amateur camera, has tons of nifty functions which even the more expensive 90 and 100 do not have. It has five spot focus (or manual) it has multiple exposure, you can change film speed manually, rewind or reinsert film mid roll, etc. etc.

The bad points of the camera- the back is a bit tight. you have to clean it often to prevent scratching (unnoticeable on print film, however) adn the Auto focus is not as fast as some fo the higher cameras.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
The Nikon N or F80 is a good camera. PM me for more details. It's a high level amateur camera, has tons of nifty functions which even the more expensive 90 and 100 do not have. It has five spot focus (or manual) it has multiple exposure, you can change film speed manually, rewind or reinsert film mid roll, etc. etc.

The bad points of the camera- the back is a bit tight. you have to clean it often to prevent scratching (unnoticeable on print film, however) adn the Auto focus is not as fast as some fo the higher cameras.

Sounds a lot like the canon EOS 5. It has all those functions and more, I'm sure the nikon has more too, and it is considered the top end amateur bottom end pro. I just wish I had more time to pursue my hobby. I haven't really taken pictures in the last 6 months or so.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Canon EOS 500N (known domestically as one of the Rebel line if I'm not mistaken) that I've had for years and has taken great pics. As the others seem to indicate, you can't go wrong with an EOS.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/what-camera-should-I-buy

Actually, the whole photo.net site is really good. You can check out reviews (including one of the N80) and other stuff - should have the info you're looking for.

Incidentally, an N80 in Korea will cost way more than 300,000. I'm not even sure you could find an N65 for that, especially if you need a lens as well. Also, I agree with the King - don't get one of the kit lenses that often come bundled with the body, they're crap.

With regard to focus, all AF bodies can switch to manual but there are usually drawbacks - the ergonomics are often crappy, for example. If you want to use manual focus, you'd be better off just getting a manual body IMO. There shouldn't be a problem with quality simply by switching over to MF on an AF camera, though. It's just that without practice you may no be able to do as well as the camera.

Last note, to the poster with the Rebel 2000 - it's not the same as the G, it's a bit better/more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: