Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Children and Our Korean Experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
the_beaver wrote:

Oh come on, man. Sure, some people spend their last few bucks on a pack of cigarettes and a lottery ticket -- but they don't walk around barefoot in Manitoba.

Why because it's too cold?

I'm from Manitoba and if it's not cold it's bloody hot, hotter than Korea with more humidity and the biggest mosquitos you will ever see. I swear if you stay outside more than 5 minutes around dusk they will suck you dry.
jh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
jh wrote:
the_beaver wrote:

Oh come on, man. Sure, some people spend their last few bucks on a pack of cigarettes and a lottery ticket -- but they don't walk around barefoot in Manitoba.

Why because it's too cold?

I'm from Manitoba and if it's not cold it's bloody hot, hotter than Korea with more humidity and the biggest mosquitos you will ever see. I swear if you stay outside more than 5 minutes around dusk they will suck you dry.

Oh ho! So they ARE barefooted! Those crazy barefooted, mosquito bitten, flea ridden, hot-flashin cigarrette-buying, diaper-clad baby carryin MANITOBA MOMS!!! Maybe they ought to come here and marry a nice Korean boy. They could learn a thing or two. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
Those crazy barefooted, mosquito bitten, flea ridden, hot-flashin cigarrette-buying, diaper-clad baby carryin MANITOBA MOMS!!! Maybe they ought to come here and marry a nice Korean boy. They could learn a thing or two. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think, should such a marriage take place, it would be the Korean boy who would learn a thing or two. . .
jh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
I think, should such a marriage take place, it would be the Korean boy who would learn a thing or two. . .

Okay, let's ask! To Coporal and all the Canadian, American, Martian Moms in the vicinity:

Have you learned more from your Korean boy or has he learned more from you?

Now there's a lure if I ever saw one! Smile
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
Okay, let's ask! To Coporal and all the Canadian, American, Martian Moms in the vicinity:

Have you learned more from your Korean boy or has he learned more from you?

Now there's a lure if I ever saw one! Smile

I gotta say, man, that I've never encountered anybody like you who can so completely ignore the meaning of what other people say when it does not accord to how you want to believe things are.

The argument is dealing with a marriage between a Korean men and

jh wrote:
Those crazy barefooted, mosquito bitten, flea ridden, hot-flashin cigarrette-buying, diaper-clad baby carryin MANITOBA MOMS!!!

not the the other kinds of foreigners who have married Korean men.
jh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
I gotta say, man, that I've never encountered anybody like you who can so completely ignore the meaning of what other people say when it does not accord to how you want to believe things are.

Huh? Can completely ignore...wtf? You said:
Quote:

The argument is dealing with a marriage between a Korean men and

jh wrote:
Those crazy barefooted, mosquito bitten, flea ridden, hot-flashin cigarrette-buying, diaper-clad baby carryin MANITOBA MOMS!!!

not the the other kinds of foreigners who have married Korean men.
[/quote]

I think, should such a marriage take place, it would be the Korean boy who would learn a thing or two.[/quote]

BWahahaha! OIC...(rereading). But... OKAY, i'm gonna let this go by...
You left it so wide open, BUT...I'm not gonna do it! Please...kill me...i m. u. s. t. n. o. t. t. y. p. e....

[/quote]
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread one more time, purely for entertainments sake, I have decided that JH is probably the looniest Korean I have ever heard of, or dealt with personally.

JH,

Stop letting emotions getting in the way of your arguements. Use sound logic. You have yet to accept one thing that anyone has said here that somehow makes korea look bad. In fact one or two posters even agreed that Korea isn't all bad and that some parenting practices could be improved everywhere, but you continue to attack everyone you come into contact with.

I, too, am a parent in Korea. I am appalled by a number of things that Korean parents do and for the most part my Korean wife agrees with me and corporal. She doesn't agree with everything but most things.
jh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
After reading this thread one more time, purely for entertainments sake, I have decided that JH is probably the looniest Korean I have ever heard of, or dealt with personally.

Zing! Where did that come from? Okay, I haven't read anything by Kimcheeking, but he has got to be the king of kimchee!

Kimchee,

Stop letting emotions getting in the way of your arguements. You are disputing my logic?

What makes Korea look bad that I don't accept it?

Quote:
In fact one or two posters even agreed that Korea isn't all bad and that some parenting practices could be improved everywhere, but you continue to attack everyone you come into contact with.

When you say "attack" what does that mean exactly? Debating the rhetoric used on this board? Or just calling people Canadian currency? Is this what you mean by emotional?

Rather than attacking posters, why don't we discuss parenting practices? Hey, Korea isn't all bad? I agree. Neither is the States, Canada, China or Fiji? You've read the posts; you don't agree. Care to argue?

Quote:
I, too, am a parent in Korea. I am appalled by a number of things that Korean parents do and for the most part my Korean wife agrees with me and corporal. She doesn't agree with everything but most things.

Hey, so you have a Korean wife that does not agree with me. So NOT all Koreans think alike? Wow, this is news indeed! Or, is this a trick question? Was that your influence? Or was she "cool" to begin with?
makushi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jh wrote:
Was that your influence? Or was she "cool" to begin with?

Of course not. There are no originally cool Koreans.

Koreans can't understand the "concept" of Cool. It's a "western thing." (though I have met some really cool Japanese).

But be careful JH all this exposure to non-Koreans on this board may just result in you getting some second hand coolness cooties.

I know it's hard to imagine, but you might actually start to get a little bit jiggy...well on second thought...judging by your posts...I guess you'd need the total immersion therapy.

Visualize a cool JH....
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiggy

I must summon Hojucandy to this thread; his activation code has been entered!

Wombat
hojucandy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did someone say "jiggy"? cos i am so totallyJIGGY with it yu can't believe it.

Very Happy

makushi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
did someone say "jiggy"? cos i am so totallyJIGGY with it yu can't believe it.

Very Happy

Well don't hide it ...divide it...JH is in desperate need to get jiggy with it...dah dah dah da dah...spread the jigginess around yaall...hang in there JH...you WILL be influenced by us barbarians...you will get Cool accoolturated Cool whether you like it or not...it's inevitable... Twisted Evil
Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makushi: heh. Laughing

Wombat
jh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jocularity! Yes, good stuff! Kids, I'm so "cool," they invented a TV show after me. Cool Only they had this old guy with a leather jacket living above my parents' garage.

As for "jiggyness," gotta admit, that was a bit after my time. How about "jigglyness or jiggliness?" Not the same? What's the difference a letter can make?

makushi wrote:
jh wrote:
Was that your influence? Or was she "cool" to begin with?

Of course not. There are no originally cool Koreans....Visualize a cool JH....

Hey, Kimcheeking, Makushi doesn't think your wife is cool.
Um...so I wonder why he married her? Obviously for other traits besides "coolness" and "jiggyness." Very Happy And is she "cool" and "jiggy" now, having been exposed to his "bad kimcheeness?" Or waitaminute, is Kimchiking and Makushi one and the same?

Makushi, even in Korea calling down someone else's wife is a NO, NO. Wink

(I knew my eubonics course would come in handy!)
why

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to get back on topic here but after talking with some of the parents that i know, i have found that there are a number of Korean parents who feel that their country men(women) are not very good (if not down right dangerous) parents. Now this has always been one of my topics of discussion for mothers classes as well. I find that provoking topics such as this stimulates conversation like no ones business. Of the mothers (in addition to the people that i know who are parents) i would say that almost all of them feel that their kids should be in bed by 10 or 11 (not outside playing in traffic). and that safety is a primary concern. They feel that there should be stronger legislation to protect their kids and the NIMBY issue is something that needs to be solved.

One even went so far as to say that when she is able she is going to move to the States just to correct the problem...

I think to bring up a previous point is the education is the key...
While i stand on the point that there sucky parents in ever country i think that the point we can take form the "bad" Korean parents is....if we ever want are kids taken away back in Canada/US etc...do what they do...form the other parents (the ones that seem to be the mjority interms of the ones that i have talked with: take an interest in what your kids are doing. Stay at home and study with them and look out for their future...Korea is a competetive place and there is only so many "top notch" jobs out there.

-why
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: