Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the black mark of deportation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starperson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: the black mark of deportation Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't finished my degree. Am I kidding myself if I think I can come over from Australia, teach English for three months, then come back and finish my degree? My boyfriend's there. Will I get caught by vicious immigration authorities and have the black mark of deportation forever on my record?
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you get caught you will be deported. The way you would be working is by doing privates, but this usually takes a small bit of time to really get into. The other way is by working for some shady hogwon without a contract. And with out a contract, the owner might not pay you for some reason, and you can do nothing about it.

It really sounds like you want to come over and see your boyfriend which is good, but you will be taking a risk if you work, and you can blame nobody if you caught but yourself.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

even if you get caught, they will only give you an EXIT ORDER
ask you leave the ROK in 8 days , but you can just get on a plane and come straight back..
could be fines to pay!
chi-chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO TO TAIWAN TO DO THIS!!!
You can visit your boyfriend cheaply from there.
Do not do this in Korea unless you are Kyopo!
Starperson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: So, Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. So, if I teach at a hagwon, my main risks are:

a) not getting paid at the end of the month
b) getting asked to leave ROK

With the getting asked to leave within eight days, does that mean that it wouldn't be classified as deportation?

Do you personally know anybody who's done this? What's the percentage that I'll get caught, do you think?

(By the way, I wouldn't do this for a year without my degree, I feel that I'm not ripping off other degree-holders by wanting a job for three months).

Two more questions:
1 - By 'privates' does that mean going around to individual student's houses and tutoring them? Does it pay enough to live on for three months if I'm diligent?

2 - Where could I get more info on the Taiwain idea?

Thanks for the help.
denz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

how much do you have, fellow aussie? is it possible to stay with your boyfriend (might be more unlikely than you think)? is he korean?

if your boyfriend can support you with a home and some rice. maybe hook you up with some privates. it's do-able.

i can't comment on the exit order thing. sounds like BS to me. from other things i've read deportation is far more long term, but like the radiohead song says 'i might be wrong...'

a lot of people are anti-privates on this board. (a great deal probably never mention it - that's the key me thinks). but there are a significant amount of illegals here.

if your stupid - you will be caught. if your not - you'll probably be fine. maybe.

goodluck - we all do strange things for love.

denz
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starlight wrote:

Quote:
Where could I get more info on the Taiwain idea?

www.tealit.com

I taught in Taiwan....if you think Korea is shady...try Taiwan...

So shady, it is in the absence of proverbial sunlight.

My boss sat me down for 30 minutes and explained exactly how he was evading taxes, evading the immigration people, breaking the law..etc.

I was like..."Hmm...yes. Interesting.." nodding my head and pretending to be proud of his work.
Starperson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no I can't stay with my boyfriend's family. So yes he's Korean. [/quote]

If your stupid - you will be caught. if your not - you'll probably be fine. maybe.

So what would be stupid? What would be smart? Is asking questions like this on this board stupid?
Do the naughty illegals generally just do private tutoring (privates) or do they teach classes?

Thanks Whiner so I guess Taiwan is a no-no at this stage.

Oh and I'll have probably less than $2000 unless I can get another job here before I go...so it'll be a big gamble if I do it. I can always enjoy a short holiday and come home to get money again to go visit again only to come home again to get money again to visit again...and then go back to uni to finish my degree and then go visit again and by then who knows what will have eventuated blah blah blah...is this considered off-topic?
Prof 88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: What exactly is deportation? Reply with quote

People mention being deported, but what exactly happens? Does Korea pay for an air ticket home for the deportee? Sounds good to some of us.
Prof 88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: My school deducted taxes, but I had no work visa. Reply with quote

Is this as shady as I think?
rainyqueen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the deportation, it does happen, there will be fines, and they don't pay for your ticket. I have friends that had to stay in jail until they had someone come through with the money.

Is it risky? Sure, but out of all the people I know that did privates/worked illegally at a hogwan - only two or three of them (out of alot!) were ever caught. The ones that were, came back and did it again.

Where does your boyfriend live? Seoul? It takes a long time to get into the privates, but if your boyfriend is Korean, he might have an 'in' for you. Your best chance would be working at a hogwan, where you know other teachers (so that you can guarantee you'll get paid).

Either way, good luck. Live your life to the fullest!!

Rainyqueen
rainyqueen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the deportation, it does happen, there will be fines, and they don't pay for your ticket. I have friends that had to stay in jail until they had someone come through with the money.

Is it risky? Sure, but out of all the people I know that did privates/worked illegally at a hogwan - only two or three of them (out of alot!) were ever caught. The ones that were, came back and did it again.

Where does your boyfriend live? Seoul? It takes a long time to get into the privates, but if your boyfriend is Korean, he might have an 'in' for you. Your best chance would be working at a hogwan, where you know other teachers (so that you can guarantee you'll get paid).

Either way, good luck. Live your life to the fullest!!

Rainyqueen
Pak Yu Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: My school deducted taxes, but I had no work visa. Reply with quote

Prof 88 wrote:
Is this as shady as I think?

they took taxes and the boss probably took his buddies out for soju everytime pay day comes around.

What are you going to do? Go to the tax office? How can you call someone shady when you're also breaking the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: