Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Women's Health Issue...Help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Women's Health Issue...Help!! Reply with quote

Hey Ladies,

I hate to bring up such a gross topic but I really need some info in a hurry.

Here goes:

Can a gal get a treatment for a yeast infection (also known as thrush) in a pharmacy without a prescription? Or, am I going to have to make my way down to the doctor's office and act out some pretty vulgar charades just to get a prescription? Embarassed

Anybody know if Monistat, Canestin, or an alternative is available? And failing that, can anyone suggest any home remedies or preventative measures?

Thanks heaps for helping me out with this "taboo" topic!! Embarassed Much appreciated.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issue Help Reply with quote

Just been there and done that. Lovely humid Korean summers, line-dried laundry, and bathhouses.

The pharmacy said I had to go to a doctor. I talked to the doctor but was not examined. Explained the problem and said I'd like Diflucan (oral) or Miconozole (cream, etc.) I was given a prescription for Diflucan, and went back to the pharmacy and filled it.

Took about 20 minutes total. Cost: W10,000 for the doctor and W11,000 for 4 pills of Diflucan. I don't have insurance and was shocked still at how cheap it was.

The doctor told me never wash with soap, use a vinegar-water rinse. Yeasties love an alkaline environment.

If you've experienced this before, you probably know what you need. I had a Korean friend with me to interpret, but you should get far just with the words 'Candida' and 'Diflucan' written down in English.
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Viva Candida

It's not really a gross subject; it is a legitimate health concern.

Most (if not all) doctors and pharmacists here speak English as their textbooks are in English. So, no fear about having to re-enact your discomfort with bizarre bodily contortions.

Also, a natural remedy is to avoid eating all sugars; no bread, crackers, cookies, or anything that might have yeast and/or sugars in them. In addition, eat plenty of yogurt as it will destroy the yeasties. Furthermore, buy some acidopholous from the pharmacy (make sure it's refrigerated) and that will destroy the blighters.

(Do I need to mention that if you have a partner, he should also follow this routine as the next sexual encounter will create a ping-pong effect and you will continue to infect one another????) It happened to me once and it took a while before I figured it out; duh!

TM
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Women's Health Issue Help Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
The doctor told me never wash with soap, use a vinegar-water rinse. Yeasties love an alkaline environment.

If you've experienced this before, you probably know what you need. I had a Korean friend with me to interpret, but you should get far just with the words 'Candida' and 'Diflucan' written down in English.

Well, it's good to know that stuff (Diflucan etc.) is here...just had a yearly check-up at home and found that I too had a yeast infection. The doctor in America, however told me to wash with a mild soap, nothing deodorized or perfumey and also not to douche, cause that throws your pH balance out of whack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: