Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's that old documentation chestnut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneWasJohnny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: It's that old documentation chestnut Reply with quote

What I've got:

-TEFL certificate.
-2 years teaching experience (in Germany and Spain. Also some tutoring in Senegal and the Gambia, but on an informal basis).
-Proficiency in four languages. Native English speaker.
-Some university courses in both English and Education, but, errrr, not an actual diploma. Made it to my Junior year then split. No regrets, but here, then, is the $64: is anybody here at all teaching without a degree, and if so, how did you get around the immigration's requirements.? Are you teaching under the table, or legit? Did you find your position AFTER coming to Korea, or did you manage to dazzle a recruiter beforehand with your formidible resume, despite your lack of actual documentation?

I'm not a shirker, nor a reprobate. Just curious, really.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Degree is a requirement by Korean Immigration in order to get the appropriate visa for teaching English in Sth K. So the short answer is that without a Degree, no matter how well you sweet talk a recruiter, you won't ever be legally employed here which can lead to a number of problems (... but so can working legally for that matter Wink )

Here are some threads I've collected about Degree requirements and coming to Korea without a Degree that you might find useful.

Do I Need a Degree?

1. Korea Without A Degree?
2. What�s the Deal if One is on a Tourist Visa?
3. Degree
4. Just TESOL?
5. Degree requirement for Teaching in Korea
6. Visa For Teaching
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have been teaching in Germany, I assume you have EU permit of some kind. You can work anywhere in Europe without a degree if you have a CELTA or equivilent (sp?) experience. In Korea it is a legal requirement to have a degree.

GFM
OneWasJohnny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Food for thought Reply with quote

Thanks, Waterbaby, for those threads, they're certainly something to chew on.

Sadly, GFM, I do not have EU status, I had legal papers in Germany, but they have long since run out, and never bothered to get them in Spain, because I only stayed six months. As a North American, I have to do it country by country, there's no work visa that I am aware of that would cover me for all of Europe. Also, as a gross generalization, the money's not as good, mainly because you're responsible for providing your own accomadation, which can get quite pricey, especially once you factor in all the deposits and so forth...

I'm going to have to mull over my dwindling options. It's slightly off topic, but anyone know if it's the same story in Taiwan?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught a winter camp once in Taiwan and was going to get a full-time job there but got cold feet and landed back in Korea so I don't have much to add there. Check out the Taiwan Job Discussion Forum here on Dave's for detailed info and post your questions there.

You're certainly qualified to get a position teaching in China but it doesn't pay very well.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, if you want to work in asia without a degree, try china (outside shanghai where there is an abundance of teachers), indonesia or vietnam. schools still prefer a degree but it's not a legal requirement as far as i know.

GFM
OneWasJohnny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: The 3'rd degree Reply with quote

When applying for jobs in S. Korea, one hands over their diploma to whom? The recruiter? The school director? The Korean consulate? The immigrations police?

What stops people, besides their personal integrity, from turning in some bogus document forged on the Khao San road, or whereever?

Does the university ever actually get contacted by whoever it is who's got the document?
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 3'rd degree Reply with quote

OneWasJohnny wrote:
When applying for jobs in S. Korea, one hands over their diploma to whom? The recruiter? The school director? The Korean consulate? The immigrations police?

What stops people, besides their personal integrity, from turning in some bogus document forged on the Khao San road, or whereever?

Does the university ever actually get contacted by whoever it is who's got the document?

Basically all of the above have to see the diploma.
What stops people? Here is something to think about. IF you get caught you will be fined and deported. If you can not pay the fine, then you will sit in a Korean jail for a very long time indeed. I can not speak for every one on here, but my university was contacted and had to confirm that yes I had a degree (I went to a small private university--400 students or so.)
chi-chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
OneWasJohnny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Not to worry Reply with quote

chi-chi wrote:
They're starting to ask for transcipts now man, so hang it up.
I assume that too many people have been doing the fake degree thing so now immigration IS getting stricter. Suprise suprise...

I'm nowhere near the Khao San Road, and figure that probably even a fly-by-night school would be leery of hiring someone with a degree from "Harvurd" or "Yail". On the other hand, I would think that people able to forge a diploma would be able to forge transcrits as well, if they were so inclined. Probably cost more.

I'm really just curious, because it seems like such a dubious procedure, getting hired in S. Korea. I'm even loathe to part with my passport overnight for visa purchasing purposes, I would hate to have to hand over a document as valuable as a diploma to such a lengthy succesion of people; it would seem that the odds of it getting lost, damaged, or wilfully withheld somewhere along the line would be nigh inevitable. I can understand why immigration might need it, if that is the requirement for the issuance of the visa, but don't photocopies cut it for the rest? Generally, when being hired for other jobs, in other countries (including, of course, my own), flashing a copy of your passport and relevant visas, certificates, recommendations, et al, is considered sufficient.

I know, I know, "this is Korea, man!"

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: