Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If Korean Comedy Ruled the World
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: If Korean Comedy Ruled the World Reply with quote

I read an article in that champion of non-biased reporting known as the "Herald" today in which Korean comedian Hong Suk-chun commented "I thought 'Austin Powers' was studpid and childish". Fair enough, but he goes on to say "Our [Korean] humor is funnier than U.S. humor, we have many different intonations".

Granted, nothing in this world is more culture-dependent than comedy, and if you don't have an excellent command of the language you'll never grasp the subtle intricacies which are typically the highest manifestations of comedic art.

On the other hand, much comedy revolves around sight gags and other nonverbal methods of tickling the funny bone, and this is where i put my beef out to pasture. Approximately 88.6% of all attempts at comedy everywhere fail miserably. Period. Korea is no exception. I have never, once, laughed at any of the antics on "Gag Concert" or any other Korean so-called comedy, for that matter (yes, I've watched them a' plenty and in the company of my Korean wife). This garbage is way beneath lowbrow (lowbrow being what the U.S. excels at producing). Korean comedy is simply dull, uninspired tripe. Juvenile would be too positive a word for it (Ali g is juvenile. Jackass is juvenile). And I'm holding back here, folks.

Before coming to Korea I never watched a Jim Carrey film, but after living here for years I have come to realize that in the world of comedy, he is a doyen. Perhaps one never fully realizes how good a thing is until it is juxtaposed with something that truly sucks. And thus concludes our lesson for today.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin powers is childish but that is the charm of the movie and why I busted my gut watching it.

all humor is childish at the heart of it. Hong Suk-chun, doesn't realize that and is being very nationalistic in his outlook. Nationalism sucks.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction:

All humor is pain.
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
Austin powers is childish but that is the charm of the movie and why I busted my gut watching it.

all humor is childish at the heart of it. Hong Suk-chun, doesn't realize that and is being very nationalistic in his outlook. Nationalism sucks.

Which is all the more ironic considering how his fellow Korean comedians/entertainers ruined his career for being gay. Ha ha.
Avram Iancu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, when DID being gay cease to be funny ?
Tancred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i intensely agree with Mack. I don't watch TV here or anything like that so i can't say with certainty that all of korean comedy is like the kind that i've been witness to, but the shows that i've seen in restaurants or at other places....man oh man...that kind of comedy went out with the Three Stooges, and even they were funnier than this crap. And the soap operas! Good Lord! When i first came here i thought it was being done kind of tongue-in-cheek, but it's actually meant to be serious, and people watch in droves...

T.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to me comedy is Bill Hicks Denis Leary the much maligned Andrew Dice Clay and anyone who pisses off the mainstream. I don't see much edginess.....

I loved Married with Children and now Malcom in the Middle. I grew up on Soap and Mary Hartman Mary Hartman.

I don't see much of that here. Certain lack of sarcasm and I love good sarcasm and wit.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh come on you guys, what is funnier than watching cookie sheets fall on someone's head several times over an hour-long period. Rolling Eyes
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: If Korean Comedy Ruled the World Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
Fair enough, but he goes on to say "Our [Korean] humor is funnier than U.S. humor, we have many different intonations".

Just hearing *this* made me laugh pretty loud, though. Very Happy
simulated stereo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the Korean Chris Rock?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 15 years ago, making fun of the Korean president could have landed you in jail. The comedy now is much more risque than the comedy from the 80's.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we have many different intonations".

Intonations? What does that mean? He's not funny. I don't understand him. Therefore I don't think he is funny.

Austin would have a field day on a gay guy with a name like Hong suction.
Now that's funny.

Last edited by Leslie Cheswyck on Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... Non Stop makes me laugh.

I cant remember who said it, but 98% of everything is sh*t. That applies to comedy too.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about you guys, but I love watching celebrities getting beat up on TV. its so refreshing. its not the movie star worshipping, E channel nonsense they have here.

That said, I've watched Gag Concert several times and its always the same stupid thing. but koreans seem to think its hilarious.
rawiri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, last night i saw some korean celebs going at it with some pro wrestlers, that was funny as.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: