Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Indian or Thai food
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Best Indian or Thai food Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the best places in Itaewon for Thai and or Indian foods? I'm not a Seoulite but I'm coming this weekend and desperate for a good (non-korean) feed.. thanks guys
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the main drag in Itaewan there's an awesome Thai place called Pattaya. I strongly recommend it. The selection of food is quite large and all the food is good. The prices are also reasonable. There is an Indian place called Taj Mahal. Pick up a copy of the Korea Herald (English Newspaper). There's a map of Itaewan in the Ad section, maybe page 15. You'll also see the Islamic area marked by a Mosque on the map. There are a few Turkish restaurants up that way. I highly recommend any of them, but there's one right around the corner from the Mosque called Salam, it's very good.
Wombat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Indian food is in my kitchen; too bad I don't live in Itawon.

Very Happy

Wombat
JackSarang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know the name but...

There is an incredible Indian restaurant in Haebangchon, about half-way up the hill just past the 7/11 or LG25 whichever convenience store it is. Its very small, seats maybe 10 people, but its run by Indians and the food is great.
chomsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the road behind the Hamilton Hotel in Itaewon you can find:

Usmania: excellent Pakistani and Indian food in this and Taj Mahal- not really cheap but maybe worth laying out the $ if you need a good fix (all you can eat and a beer for about 20,000).

Taj Mahal: right across from Usmania: Indian (about the same price)

Both the above places have Pakistani or Indian cooks. The do a very good job -no fusion crap. Avoid the Indian place IN the Hamilton Hotel - the food looks good enough but you'll pay a fortune. There is a French place, an Indonesian food place, and several others in this same little road.

Pattaya: In the same road, not too bad I guess but a little pricey.
There are other places just about 200 meters up the main drag towards the Japanese places - a Thai suki place and another Thai place in the same building - not fusion, not too cheap, not bad, but not exactly Thailand either. Also some very good Egyptian and Turkish places in this area.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
The best Indian food is in my kitchen

Party at Wombat's place!!!
Anda

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

If you cut up the hill behind the second hand book shop instead of taking the main drag up the hill you will find a small Indian Restaurant that pretty good.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are all WAY OFF (except WOMBAT, maybe)...

the best indian food in seoul BY FAR is DAL located next to gyoungbeokgung palace in an art gallery. Hiddink was a regular here.

next in line would be GANGA, with 3 locations. 2 in Gangnam and one in Gwangwhamun.

third prize goes to Chakraa, which has the best buffet in Korea for W11,000. There are 3 locations, 1 in Haebongchong, as has been mentioned, one near the UN village (where the buffet is) and one in Gangnam.

there are 2 other great Indian restaurants in Gangnam, but they are expensive (more expensive than DAL, which is expensive) and I conveniently forgot their names.

the indian restaurants in itaewon suck much ass.

whoops! sleeping when i wrote this (edited for pattaya flub) Embarassed

Last edited by mack the knife on Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
chomsky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
you guys are all WAY OFF (except WOMBAT, maybe)...

pattaya is not indian food. i don't know why it was mentioned. Rolling Eyes

uhhh, because the orignal post asked about Indian and Thai....? Cool
helly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattaya was probably mentioned because the title of the thread was "Best Indian or Thai Food." I believe Pattaya is Thai (and better than Thai Orchid)

My two bits on Indian food:

Ashoka, in the Hamilton, is crap. Stay away. Never been to Usmania but Moghul (the place right at the top of the hill) is pretty good (someone else in here mentioned that it's called Taj Mahal. Has it changed?)

Dal is excellent, the best thing is the private room. Make a reservation for a group of 4 for the best seats in the house. We lounged in there for 4 hours one night.

I take Ganga over Dal (foodwise) anyday of the week but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Ganga has 5, not 3 locations. 4 are in Seoul: Apkujong (near Chilis), Cheongdam-dong (back in the neighborhood of expensive restaurants), Star Tower (Yeoksam Station), and Seoul Finance Center (near Kwanghwamun). There is also one in Pusan at one of the hotels in Haeundae.
Wombat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys. You're all missing the point. I said "my kitchen". Food ho! Leave Itaewon behind! Very Happy

Wombat
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAREFUL, WOMBAT!!

we might just be inclined to take you up on your [offer?]

BTW, i just ate at ganga tonight. mmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Last edited by mack the knife on Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
Guys, guys. You're all missing the point. I said "my kitchen". Food ho! Leave Itaewon behind! Very Happy

Wombat

Not all of us. Look at my post?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took note as well. Do you do naan? Biryani?
Wombat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I'll have to shave all your heads and smear your foreheads in ash. But that's no problem; also, I've got the bolts of saffron and orange cloth on order. I'll keep you posted. Laughing

Wombat

PS - I love cooking! I can makes heaps of yummy things - breads, papads, biryanis, vindaloos, chatnis, pickles, dals, bad-for-your-health fried things. Yay food!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: