Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Children and Our Korean Experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
why

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yah...i almost forgot...i remember something that i was once told by my mother..."just cause you can have kids doesn't mean you should...
Wait till you have your own and then you will know what i mean"

Good advice...too sad that the biological urge to procreate is so strong in the evolutionary challenged.

-why

Once you have em...you can't put them back...
harri2002

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile i joined today. makushi and corporal brought up a good point regarding the way korean mothers raise their children. as a korean-american i see that korean mothers lack disciplining their children when they are in public, sharing the space with other members of society. although my parents were very strict about not inconveniencing (is this a word?) other people, i can't help but notice that in restaurants there are korean children running around all over the place and their mothers don't seem to notice that there is anything wrong, just sitting there doing nothing. i think you foreigners should bring up these korean "flaws" to them constantly so that they learn how people from civilized societies live. there are people (like my parents) who are strict on children's behavior in public but they are few and most of korean population are not aware of teaching children about real manners and civility. please don't give up on koreans!
makushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harri2002 wrote:
Smile please don't give up on koreans!

Hey, as long as they don't give up on me Very Happy ...I will try hard to return the favor...sides...pretty tough to turn my back on the whole country...you know being married to a local and bringing up our two children here and all that...

I wonder if you parents were more strict with you because they felt some pressure to fit in in the states.

Anyway, welcome to the board! Very Happy
harri2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did live in the states as a small child so i guess my parents became aware of how westerners raise children and that it was good. but i spent a bulk of my pre-teen and teenage years in korea and my parents were strict then too. like i mentioned before about kids running around in restaurants, in korea i often saw my dad chastising a total stranger's kid. i don't know... this streak might run in the family because my first uncle is very strict with children and he has never lived in the states. i remember we had to "behave" at family get-togethers especially with that uncle.

there are criticisms about the way koreans raise kids in korean newspaper editorial sections now and then, but again vast majority of koreans in korea are not really aware unless they've experienced foreign cultures.

and yes, i do think more korean-americans are strict with children than koreans because of having to fit in in the states. but i don't think that's bad. after all it's for the better; raising your kid to be considerate of others.
makushi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harri2002 wrote:
. this streak might run in the family because my first uncle is very strict with children and he has never lived in the states. i remember we had to "behave" at family get-togethers especially with that uncle.

I get the feeling that most parents feel that disciplining their children is cruel. They don't get that when they are disciplining them they are teaching them how to act responsibly, safely, and considerately.

I have also noticed that where western parents would typically allow a child to do something strenous (like walking a long distance, standing on a bus, or carry something heavy) in order to build their spirit and toughen them up a bit, Korean parents usually try to remove all possible hardships from their kid's lives.
Ody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own observation is that American parents hold each other accountable for the behavior of their kids while Korean parents do not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: