Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing a Dog to Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverLeft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Bringing a Dog to Korea Reply with quote

I've done the research and I know it's relatively easy to bring a pet dog into Korea; but how difficult would it be to find a place to live once we're there? I've got a Jack Russell Terrier; from what I've read and heard, it's fairly common for people to own small pet dogs in Korea.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding a place should not be a problem. many people keep dogs in their apartments here. yu do not say where yu are from. if yu intend to take your dog home with yu when yu eventually leave korea, yu may have very expensive quarantine costs to pay, if yu are from australia or new zealand. i am not sure about other countries. check with your local animal quarantine services before yu leave home - or yu may not be able to take your dog home.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha
Where will you be living in Korea?
OverLeft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beginning my employment search, I'll likley end up residing in a larger center like Seoul or Pusan etc. (this fits my preference actually); due the the demand for teachers in these areas that's where I see myself starting. I'm from canada, and bringing a pet dog back will not be a problem.

I think I may have stated my question incorrectly at first; so I'll try again, since my apartment will probably be prearranged by my employers, will having a dog limit emloyment opportunities?
hojucandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OverLeft wrote:
since my apartment will probably be prearranged by my employers, will having a dog limit emloyment opportunities?

no - i don't think so.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OverLeft wrote:

I think I may have stated my question incorrectly at first; so I'll try again, since my apartment will probably be prearranged by my employers, will having a dog limit emloyment opportunities?

There don't seem to be any restrictions in apartment buildings on pet ownership here. The only problem I could see you having with having a dog would be if you had roommates. But then again, you should be insisting on a private apartment anyway.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure your dog is a "people" dog. Whenever I walk my dog I have hordes of little kiddies following me and petting him. Fortunately he's experienced this since he was a puppy and is totally spoiled from all the attention. Be prepared that if the neighborhood ajummas know his name they will scream at your dog to come over even if you're miles away. It gets slightly annoying sometimes. A lot of Koreans are afraid of dogs and will do anything to avoid them (even if it means darting out in traffic!) so if your dog is snarling and growling it will make your reception in the neighborhood a bit difficult. I've got a Jack Russell back in Canada and he is definitely not very friendly. Korea would stress him out with all the people trying to touch him and stick their faces in his face.
Corey Walker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: What about a Cat? Reply with quote

Hello there:

I have the same question as the first one in this thread, only it's regarding a cat. She is an outside cat (unfortunately), and is a purebred Norwregian Forest Cat (although we are not from Norway, but from Northern British Columbia, Canada). She is a friendly cat, and so far as I am aware, has never had a problem with anybody in the neighbourhood (and she visits ALL their yards -- this I don't like), and some kids told me once she comes over to their yard and they play with her. My landlord's kids play with her as well (one of them is 5, the other is a little younger or a little older).

I am hoping to find a friend or family member to take her here in Canada, but I don't want to miss out on job opportunities if they won't, and giving my precious Fluffy Cat over to the SPCA is not an option in mind.

Advice, suggestions etc. I would of course take her to a vet and have her examined, and the whole nine yards . . .

And bringing her back to Canadan may be an issue or no?

Thanks,
Corey
hojucandy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada's animal imports are administered by the canadian food inspection authority http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/

contact them for info on importing a cat/dog from korea

as a whole, koreans don't seem to like cats. this place is full a pampered tiny dogs (imitation dogs i call them), and bedraggled mistreated cats.
SuperFly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to get a pair of Doggles for him before you get to Korea OverLeft, those UV rays in Korea can blind them. I know, because I am really a dog.
sickboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can but you have three choices :

1) eat it

or

2) make it wear a sweater (with pockets, preferably)

or

3) carry it around everywhere

-sick
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Corey

Please please please - do not bring your beautiful cat, especially if she is an outside cat. If you bring her to Korea, you will definitely have to keep her indoors, as all other outdoor cats in Korea are feral and are the carriers of unimaginable diseases, including rabies. In addition, most Koreans are deadly afraid of cats, and if you imagine any kind of social life that includes people visiting your apartment, then you will be inviting trouble. I have seen young women faint or go into screaming fits at the sight of a small dog in my friends apartment, when he was having a party.

Some of the comments I have heard from Koreans about cats are the following: they are cunning as foxes; they are thieves; they are filthy; they bring bad luck; and so on and so forth.

Even some of the people that I consider to be moderately intelligent, will draw their breath in with a hiss when I show them photos of my cats and ask when I will eat them or make them into soup! Imagine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: