Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living/working in Gunsan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theredfrog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Living/working in Gunsan Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is my first contribution to this board, and although I'm solliciting advice this time, I hope to be able to share some knowledge in return in the next few months. I'd be grateful for any feedback you guys (and girls) might have for my little question.

I'm looking into a job in a port city called Gunsan. The school is called Hanmi FLI (I'm guessing no one's heard of it), but I'd really like to know what people think of living/working in Gunsan. i.e. just to give y'all an idea of where I'm coming from, i'm a montrealer so i'm used to good dance clubbing, and cozy pubs, nice parks and friendly frenchmen (and frenchwomen -- although i'm guessing there are fewer of these in Korea...)

All this to say that I welcome anyone's feedback, both positive or negative.

Cheers!
anae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is from Gunsan. It is a little country town that has an airbase which just makes parts of it seedy. The rest is dull and a little dirty. We couldn't even find a few meters of green to have our wedding. Some one from Montreal would be in shock. If you want clubbing go to Seoul. If you want parks, don't pick a port town.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:41 am; edited 2 times in total
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BORING, BORING, BORING!!! K/Gunsan is THE most boring city I've ever lived in (Korea or elsewhere!). I taught there for 6 months and they seemed interminable. I did a class activity with my students and had them come up with the most exciting or interesting things to do in Gunsan. The overwhelming response? GO TO E-MART!!! And this from the natives!

Gunsan has more churches per person than anywhere else in Korea. Why? Nothin' else to do!
andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajuma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a lot of them in Gunsan do. In one class, more than 75% were Christians. Makes for a boring "What did you do last weekend?" discussion!
peppermint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how often do Korean people really tell you they did anything interesting on the weekend during those conversations, anyway.

I think the number of complaints about hearing "so-so" and "nothing special" speak for themselves. Until I asked students to tell me a good lie if they did nothing, I would hear either church, slept or mountain climbing (hiking) from the brave few that didn't say "so-so"

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that these are easy answers that they hope will get the teacher off their back. ( Based on my own experiences as a student in French class Laughing )
ajuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with you in theory, this class was very high level (nearly native speaker level) and we had great discussions about everything from plastic surgery to politics in America and Korea. So, when they said that the best thing to do was go to E-Mart, I believed them!!! And when they said that they went to church on Sunday, I believed THAT, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: