Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't watch Peninsula Scope, or whatever it's called.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz...........
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really expect them to address issues with any kind of logic, and instead we have self delusion on how great Korea is and only Koreans can see how great it is because foreigners must have soft minds because they don't see how great Korea is. That is how I see koren opinion leaders, as they like to call themselves, and I still don't really, honestly get how they can come up with such a self serving name for themselves.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloth, you distorted some of which they said.

Point number one is true- I was pretty horrified myself.

Point #2- It is true to a certain extent- Korea is certainly one of the safest countries in the world. On the other hand, many Koreans haven't accepted the fact that North Korea is indeed an evil country run by a despot.

Point #3- They all agreed that Korea needs to deregulate and make it easier for foreigners to set up restaurants and whatnot here in Korea (most notably in Seoul). They DO think that foreigners should be allowed to do so. What they were saying is many Koreans think foreigners shouldn't because it might provide competition for korean restaurants.

Point #4- You should add: deregulate. They said the only thing that will bring foreign business' here to Korea is a market for them to sell goods. Other than that, Korea has nothing special to offer them. Pretty bleak for them eh?

Point #5- Yeah, that made me roll my eyes. The white guy did an excellent job pointing out how one-sided the Korean media is and how it only gives one perspective. The koreans seemed to gloss over his point and ignored it.

I thought the foreign dude on the panel did a pretty decent job. He managed to say some critical stuff without the Koreans jumping on him and becoming very defensive. He had a fairly diplomatic touch. As for the others, one spoke English rather poorly while the other two were ok.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that same show yesterday and think bucheon bum's observations are a fair reflection of what was said.

I'm a pretty regular watcher of In Focus even though I find it kind of frustrating. I don't think I have ever seen a true discussion or exchange of opinions between the guests. The moderator (there are two who alternate) asks someone a question then the guest makes a little speech. There is never an objection or disagreement; at least I've never witnessed one. I get the feeling that each guest is there to deliver an 'official' line.

I sat thru the whole show yesterday hoping someone would explain just what they mean by making SK a 'hub' in NE Asia. Doesn't that just sort of naturally happen when geography, the business environment, laws and regulations, etc. all come together in one place?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: