Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

make up and clothes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

I find it strange that korean men do these things and the korean women enjoy it. But then this is one of those cultural differences. Personally I feel that buying your girlfriend make up and constantly wanting her to look pretty is a bit superficial. Yes, I like to have a pretty girlfriend but I want more than good looks. I could never imagine telling my girlfriend, "hey why don't you put on some more make up and try to hide the way you naturally look. I'm not here for your wonderful personality. I just want to be seen with a pretty girl so I can brag to my friends and make them jealous of me." Maybe I am being a little over critical here.
wendysue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be offended if a boyfriend bought me make up, I would just think it was a bit odd as I'm not a big make up kind of gal. I would second the idea of whoever suggested perfume--that's a nice gift.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a Korean guy bought me makeup I wouldn't be offended. Toiletries in general are a common gift. Please, i always wore makeup at work so I wouldn't take it as a hint. But it would probably be a useless, because of the whole personal nature of what we choose to put on our faces. If a western guy gave me makeup I might take it as a nasty hint.. It's cultural. If a western guy gave me perfume, though, because it's considered nice in the west, it wouldn't mean he thinks I stink.. (here's hoping)

A Korean guy I liked gave me a shirt and I was thrilled.

Anyway, just cause a girl wants something doesn't mean she's using you or materialistic. Try token gifts. If a girl sulks becuse the gift didn't cost enough then that's a different story. Flowers are nice.. I think and they don't have to be expensive.

I'm a western girl but the gifts that always made me the happiest were the ones that displayed effort. I love it when I mention wanting something and then a while later, like on my birthday, I get it. It just shows the giver is paying attention and I think that's important.
Cedar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for if anyone bought me make-up, oooohhh yeah, I'd be offended. They'd be lucky to escape the tongue lashing in one piece.

As for what my Korean boyfriends have done... yes, they buy me as much as they can afford to buy me, and sometimes more. They bring fish for my cats. They give me flowers, underwear, perfume (ugh, so flowery!), simple slip on shirts, a watch, hair pins, vases for flowers, etc. They try hard to find the kind of thing I really like. I mean, most of the underwear I've gotten? Sports Bras! My watch? Sporty with timer, laps, two time zones, etc! Sweet treats? Always chocolate, never with "saeng creem-uh".
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really like her, then buy her clothes at least. I believe make-up is a bit personal to the tastes of the user, (and so isn't clothing Shocked ), but hey, you can get her into the that mini that you always wanted to see her in.
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothes, make-up, perfume....regardless of what it is, the whole fact that she thinks you dont' love her because you don't buy her "things" is the part that I find strange.

Sure, my boyfriend and I exchange gifts at special times, and now and again one of us pops out with the "this made me think of you" no-reason-gift, but even with out that, I know he loves me. Material things aren't the only way to prove your feelings for someone, are they?!?!

I dunno, but I would give up the birthday flowers, the Christmas perfume, and the "I knew this would look perfect on you" dress, and keep the touches, hugs, little quick kisses, and the "just to say goodnight" phone calls -- they show a lot more affection and emotion than anything that can be bought in a store.

Am I the only one who thinks that??
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds great to me Hamu, except for the "called just to say goodnight" phonecalls. When they become "mandatory" ie happen nearly every day, they get tiresome.

As for buying the g/friend make-up or clothes, I've bought the latter twice and once bought the former, but only when I was with her. I can't imagine buying make-up for her on my own.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not big on the whole unecessary gift giving thing. I don't understand why people need to buy junk for their significant others in order to show that they love them.

So no I don't get it but, when in Rome...

CLG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: