Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you find that after 2 years....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Do you find that after 2 years.... Reply with quote

Do you find that after 2 years you don't really feel like "discovering Korea" anymore? I don't know if I'm in a bit of a slump or something, but nothing really seems all that interesting. The cities all seem the same, with an LG 25, a Loterria, and a Kim-Bap-Na-Ra.

I've been to Seoul, Suwon, Pusan, Ulsan, Gwang-Ju, and several other smaller places, and I used to travel 2 or 3 weekends a month (first year). I've done all the museums, the folk village, the temples, etc. Now I find that I want to hibernate in my apartment on the weekends.

I know the excitement of living here has gone away, but I'm not unhappy to be here. I like my job, my friends (both Korean and Western), and my neighborhood is awesome. It's just that something seems to be lacking a bit--I do want some excitement, something to anticipate.

Can anyone think of something new or interesting that would be fun to do? Any new Broadway shows/International performances in Seoul this fall? (how would I find out about them?) Any really neat places on the East coast that have rocky coast-lines and some solitude?

I feel like I'm not stretching or growing anymore. My brain doesn't get a lot of stimulating conversation in English (like in college) and I'm not being challenged at my job (except for my patience--ha!). Anyway. Just looking for an idea or two and how others feel that have stayed for more than 2 years in Korea. (By the way, I'm here with my husband, who has also been here 2 years. Both of us are wae-gooks, so we don't have family ties in Korea.) Thanks.

justagirl
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. I used to try every new/different snack or drink that I could find in the store and travel around a lot more.

Try this: join a hagwon. There are magic hagwons (at least there's a magic hagwon here in Seoul), cooking hagwons and others which could be interesting/ The big department stores (like Hyundai) run classes for things like pottery and Hanja.
makushi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit running around in a mad attempt to discover Korea...slow down and discover yourself...what would you be doing at home? You can most likely do it here...sports, music, art, books or whatever...find something YOU like and pursue it...I'm mean this is a place where you can easily start a new hobby like playing the piano, learning a martial art etc. and have private/group lessons for a fraction of the cost of other countries...just get busy...and forget about "discovering" this place....it's a long torturious track that even most of the locals can't fully handle...
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sameness city to city, yep so. Trouble with weekend trips to other cities is you end up going where everyone goes, which gets bland really fast.

My suggestion: explore your own immediate environs a bit more thoroughly. Weekend mystery tours. You need a car or friend with one,
get yourself a detailed map of your area & just go. The vaguer the ultimate destination the better -- doesnt matter what -- some remote temple or prehistoric site or scenic valley. Its the getting there thats fun. The obscurer the backroad the better.

I've been in the same small city 4 years & make stunning new discoveries relatively near-at-hand on a regular basis. Once you get off the beaten path you'll meet some fascinating & individualistic Koreans (yes, they exist!). Artists, mountain people, hippies. Spot a minbak in some remote pristine spot & spend the night -- backcountry folk here are genuine & fun. Few Koreans frequent these spots because, well, few Koreans frequent these spots. Its not hard to escape the mobs & discover another side of this country.

Some good advice from above posters too. Cultivate new hobbies & interests. Vegging at home all weekend -- no blame in that either. Its your life -- no 'shoulds.' Its all about enjoying.
weatherman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you find that after 2 years.... Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:

Can anyone think of something new or interesting that would be fun to do?
justagirl

Hey, that is all cool what you said, but why not try dealing with Koreans on a Korean level, in the Korean language and not as an English teacher or visitor, traveler basis. Then get back to all of us.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, justagirl, I'm definitely getting bummed about during my second year. But my personal reason is that all of my old friends in town went to other cities, and I came back(like a dummy).

You ever been to Kagwonsa? Hiking up Taejosan? Ever seen that market that's on the main taxi route that runs by the river, going downtown? I keep meaning to check that out, and see if it's a real flea market or something.

How's Mocha? I can't seem to forget her, seeing as there's STILL hair everywhere...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: