Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning the Korean Lanuage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I was able to call the appartment warden, get him to get me a direct line to the flat upstairs, and complain to them about the noise, ask them to keep it down,and they stopped. It was a rush, even better than learning how to order a pizza.The sense of achievement in learning a language is awesome- even if it is only Korean.
Learning korean- best tip is to make korean friends. You'll learn what you need to know, the day-to-day stuff- and bypass the irrelevant stuff.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Learning to read hangul in a day? Do you include all the alterations that occur with different consonant combinations? If so, I take my hat off to you ...

Take your hat off son, it took me a few hours. At first I was slow but by the end of the week my reading speed was pretty good or so I was told. Anyhow learning to read and write is easy, comprehension is a totally different story.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
Take your hat off son, it took me a few hours.

i call BS

the basics I can believe, but all of the patchim transformations? naaaaah
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call BS, too. It took me about a week, with a Korean person indirectly assisting me, and I'm a fast learner. I also only had the Lonely Planet as a guide...
cletus awreetus-awrightus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... a few hours sounds about right to me. An hour a day for five days or five hours one day, or something like that, and I think you could do it
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletus awreetus-awrightus wrote:
I don't know... a few hours sounds about right to me. An hour a day for five days or five hours one day, or something like that, and I think you could do it

basic shapes + sounds + syllable formation = 5 hours? Possible. At a stretch even throw in the compound vowels. I'll agree to that.

but I have difficulty believing someone could memorise the entire phoenemic system within a day - things like (romanisation-wise)

k+r=ngn
k+m=ngm
ng+r=ngn
n+r=ll
h+d=t
tt+n=nn
n+b=mb
b+n=mn
etc...

If you and kimcheeking managed to start from scratch and have a handle on this within a day i'll take my hat off too. Not only that, I'll eat it. Without salt OR pepper.

But you'd be absolute rarities. For people who've never had any exposure to Korean before the deal is 'learn to convert to romanisation' in a day.
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here for about 17 months now, and have only aquired very basic reading skills. "Oh, that's a "p", there's an "m"" etc. I don't know why I haven't learned; it's not that it's too difficult for me (no jokes about cunning linguists please!). It's just...I don't know - interest maybe? I like Sanskrit. I feel that learning Korean exstensively, while fun, has no real end-purpose for me. Sanskrit, on the other hand, is a life-long flirtation.

Wombat
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned all the basic sounds on a rainy afternoon. It took me forever to sound out even a few syllables, but my speed kept building up.

I think most people can learn the sound system very quickly, but increasing your reading speed takes time.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:
For people who've never had any exposure to Korean before the deal is 'learn to convert to romanisation' in a day.

I didn't learn to convert to romanization. I learned the sounds as they sound in Korean. When I studied Japanese I did the same thing. Romanization of a language that uses a different script is useful for travellers but not for a serious student. It is just a crutch that will ultimately slow you down.

I don't claim to have perfect pronunciation, but I do stand by what I said earlier, it is easy to learn how to read and write Korean, including all the patchim transformations, within one day. Reading quickly or fluently is not what I claim to have been able to do.

KK
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! I don't even have a hat. suckers
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
When I studied Japanese I did the same thing.

If you learned Japanese before you learned Korean, you CHEATED!!!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
If you learned Japanese before you learned Korean, you CHEATED!!!

Why is that cheating? Anyhow that was back in University and I don't know much Japanese anymore... just a few stock phrases and counting to ten.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheating because you were already familiar with hiragana/katakana, which is really just more complex hangul(numberwise). Since you already had an idea of what to expect walking into it, you knew what to look for.

Likewise, if I sit down and start studying Japanese now, I'll be at an advantage with learning the hiragana/katakana, and I also have a slight advantage with the kanji, since I studied a bit of Chinese when I was younger. I could also learn one of the other romance languages besides French(like Spanish), because I'm more familiar with what to expect.
Trinny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Zyzyfers,

hirakana and katakana all look the same and are difficult to decipher, when all jumbled together.

What is a killer about Kanji is that one character has at least 2 or 3 different pronunciations and you have to choose a right pronunciation for a specific context. Japanese is easy enough at the beginning level, but cannot be mastered in a short term.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinny wrote:
No Zyzyfers,

hirakana and katakana all look the same and are difficult to decipher, when all jumbled together.

What is a killer about Kanji is that one character has at least 2 or 3 different pronunciations and you have to choose a right pronunciation for a specific context. Japanese is easy enough at the beginning level, but cannot be mastered in a short term.

Mm hmmm....and hangul is similarly a beginner's field day. The only perplexing thing about hiragana/katakana to me is the sheer number of bits to learn. Aren't there like 60+?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: