Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If Korean Comedy Ruled the World
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_daniels

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: More Korean TV Antics Reply with quote

Here's what I noticed about Korean TV:

1. When a talk show gets boring and there's nothing to talk about (every 5 minutes or so) they suddenly grab someone and push them in front and go, "Dance! Dance!" Ten minutes is then wasted with everyone jumping in and out of the center doing stupid poses. You see this on every damn show, but they can't get enough of it! Annoying!

2. On Korean dramas, which also lack real scripts, they will waste about 10 minutes a show with a norae bang scene. A bunch of people scream into a microphone and act drunk or sad. What creativity!

3. During talk shows the audience, comprised of middle school girls, will go "OOOOOOO!" and "OOOOOOOHHHH!" every 20 seconds or so for no reason at all.
billbile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get about the soaps is why they don't try and drag 'em out forever, like 'Coronation Street' or 'Days of Our Lives'.

They run for one year or maybe two, and then end because everyone is suddenly bored with the characters and it's just 'too old'.

Like, they can't renew an established franchise by introducing new characters and perhaps save money on building new sets for a totally new show or whatever.

My point is that they don't try and make a formula which is successful more flexible, they don't seem to experiment with it in order to either give it a second chance (if it is dying) or try and prolong its life (if it is popular). Not that I'm complaining, of course, it just seems odd to me.

It's like everything (comedy, drama, whatever) on Korean TV has to be EXACTLY THE SAME and UTTERLY PREDICTABLE from episode to episode, in order to be interesting and enjoyable. But somehow, at some point, suddenly SNAP! it's SOOOO boring and we hate it. Take it off!
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I don't get about the soaps is why they don't try and drag 'em out forever, like 'Coronation Street' or 'Days of Our Lives'.

Actually, I find that a point in their favor. Although I find many dramas in Korea to be insipid and sometimes incomprehensible (the plots, not the language) I do like the sense of closure in them. I think some of those daytime soaps back home should be put to bed. And think of all the shows that ended without any closure simply because the studios didn't renew them for a new season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: