Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PYONGYANG?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer :

Quote:
by the way, whatever happened to the thread 'shelf life of a topic'?

Um, the guy who started the thread complained that it had been hijacked. Mods are actually supposed to be on the lookout for that kind of thing, check the Forum Guidelines, but people seemed to be having so much fun with it and it didn't seem to be hurting anyone, I didn't see any problem with it ... hey, someone complained and one of the mods threw the switch on it, what can I say?

mithridates :
Quote:
That reminds me of the first time I tried drawing a map of Korea in one of my classes long ago. I drew a bean-shaped country with Seoul right near the top and Busan at the bottom, but my student crossed it out and drew an hourglass shaped country with a big spike through the middle instead.

Most Koreans tell me they think the two halves of the country look like a rabbit on the map.

The comparison with East and West Germany is a common one to make, and many people do. One big diff, tho: despite heavy censorship and surveilance by the respective govts, E and W Germany did have means to communicate with each other - telephones, mail, etc.

This is not true here, and we're talking about families having members separated from each other for about 50 years now, and in many cases they do not even know if the relatives are still living or dead. Kim DJs Sunshine policy included family unification actions that made headlines, but to my knowledge it is still either impossible or illegal to send email north of the DMZ from S Korea.
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story, I swear - flew into Atlanta a few years ago with a colleague and the cabbie (white dude, verrrrrry country) asks where we ("y'all") just arrived from. I say, "Seoul." He replies, "What state is that in?"

Hee haw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: