Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weekend 'Cruise' to China...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raytownloc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Weekend 'Cruise' to China... Reply with quote

I was invited by a relative of mine to go on a weekend cruise to some port city in China. I think its a group of around 100 passengers. My question is, will I need a reentry visa? Its going to be my first weekend in Korea. Anyone been on one of these, and if so did you get your passport checked?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread Coming & Going

Simple answer is yes, you need a re-entry permit if you wish to re-enter Korea on your E2 visa (do you have one yet?). Otherwise, your E2 visa will be cancelled and you will re-enter as a tourist. I ran into some trouble when I tried to get a re-entry permit when I hadn't applied for my Alien Card yet... Check out the thread.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think I could enter as a tourist when I hit seoul, and then when I come back from China use my E-2 visa?
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who just came back from a package tour to Beijing. He said the chinese didn't bump into him in the street and formed orderly queues for everything. And that their kids sat quietlt with the parents, while the korean kids on the tour ran around screaming.
He said Chinese people don't know what on earth kimchi is and never eat it. The Koreans all brought their own lunchboxes of kimchi on the trip.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking on the web a lot regarding getting a multiple entry visa and have seen this a few times, anyone know if it is true?

Quote:
When you get your visa processed most likely your passport will be stamped with a single entry visa. This visa allows the teacher to enter Korea once on the E-2 teaching visa.

Teachers who plan to go abroad during their contract period must purchase either a multiple entry or a single entry visa at the immigration office (Note: Americans are usually issued multiple entry visas automatically when the E-2 visa is stamped into their passports, but please check to make sure).

Do Americans automatically get multiple entry stamps?
gmat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said the chinese didn't bump into him in the street and formed orderly queues for everything.

Laughing Formed orderly queues! Your friend must have found the exception that proves (the opposite) rule. Believe me, that is not typical in China.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will definetely need a re-entry multiple visit visa.. and Americans aren't always given it.. you have to check your visa.. sometimes I've been given one-time entry and other times multiple entry E-2 visa.

You can't come in a tourist visa if you have an E-2 visa already.. you'd have to cancel the E-2 visa to get a tourist visa.. and the tourist visa for Americans costs about $40 i think.. then you'd have to get another E-2 visa and your school would have to go through all of the paperwork again.

The only solution if you have an E-2 visa already is to try to get a mulitiple entry visa added to your single entry visa already stamped in your passport.. then you can do it..

Also, since you asked the questions if Americans automatically get multiple entry visas.. you'd have to check on your passport.. if you have one already.. then you are fine.. if you don't.. you'd need to change it to a multiple.. it'll say it right on it..

I've had 4 e-2 visa stamps in my passport.. three were multiple and one was single entry.

The last e-2 visa i got i was given a multiple entry and the guy i went to japan with got a single entry.. so it seems totally random as to who gets what.. if its any consolation my friend is Kiwi and I'm American.. don't know if that had anything to do with it or not though.
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: AND Chinese visa! Reply with quote

Except for Hong Kong & Macau, you MUST get a visa for entry to China at the PRC embassy in Seoul. Unless you pay an extra fee, it takes 3-4 days.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will be getting my E2 visa on Tuesday and will ask for a multiple entry stamp. This board is priceless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: