Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien Registration Application Info. Sheet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoul Skye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Alien Registration Application Info. Sheet Reply with quote

Alien Registration Information

The following is information for completing the work permit process. The third and final stage involves applying for an alien registration card (ARC). An alien registration card is required for such matters as opening a bank account, signing a lease, and applying for a driver�s license. Also, you should carry your ARC with you at all times as your form of ID in Korea.

Application for Alien Registration: http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/01_introduction/immi_f.html
Multiple-entry Status Application: http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/01_introduction/immi_f.html

At the Immigration Office:
1 � Upon arrival, take a queue number from the dispenser.
2 � When your number shows up on the display, present your signed application with the revenue stamp/s, your passport, and 3 passport photos to the Immigration officer. First time applicants will be finger-printed.

a. Revenue stamps, which cost 10,000 KRW per stamp, can sometimes be purchased in the immigration office. However, for offices outside of Seoul, often the revenue stamp vendor is located in a separate building a short walk from the immigration office. An official will give you directions.

b. For E-2 visa holders, a 10,000 KRW stamp is required for the alien registration application and 50,000 KRW to obtain multiple-entry visa status. An E-2 visa is issued as a single-entry visa. If you would like to take a trip outside Korea during the employment period, it�s a good idea to apply for multiple entry status.

c. You must have your school�s business registration ID number. That includes public schools as well.

3 � The immigration official will give you a receipt with the date that you can return and pick up your passport and alien registration card. It usually takes 10-14 days to process an alien registration card.

Immigration Office Tel. Number Address
Jeju 064-757-3696, 746-0044 # 673-8 Geonip-dong Jeju
Yeosu 061-665-2442 # 332-3 Sujeong-dong Yeosu-si Jeonranam-do
Gwangju 062-381-0016 # 366-1 Hwajeong 3-dong Seo-gu Gwangju-si
Masan 055-222-9272∼4 # 2-6 Wolpo-dong Masan-si Gyungsangnam-do
Busan 051-461-3041 #17-26 Jungang-dong 4-ga Jung-gu Busan
Ulsan 052-261-7545/0515 #139-16 Maeam-dong Nam-gu Ulsan
Daegu 053-981-6851 #1012 Geomsa-dong Daegu
Jeonju 063-245-6163 San #27 Hoseong-dong 1-ga Deokjin-gu Jeonju
Daejeon 042-254-8813 #16-8 Jungchon-dong Jung-gu Daejeon
Cheonju 043-283-0595∼8 # 77-2 Sugok 1-dong Heungdeok-gu Cheongju-si Chungbuk
Pyoungtaek Branch Office 031-683-6937∼8 Manho-ri 570 Poseung-myoun, Pyoung taek-si, Kyoung gi-do 570
Hwaseong 031-355-2011∼3 # 238-7 Seokgyo-ri Mado-myun Hwaseong-gun Gyunggi-do
Chungcheon 033-244-7352 #709-10 Hwanam Bld 5F Hyoja 2-dong Chuncheon-si Gangwon-do
Uijeongbu 031-876-5561∼2 Seoyoung Building Seogwan 7th floor # 493-4 Uijongbu 2-dong
Incheon 032-889-9912 #1-17 Hang-dong 7-ga Jung-gu Incheon
Seoul 02-2650-6335 #319-2, Shinjeong 6-dong, Yangcheon-gu, Seoul

URL for maps of district immigration offices throughout Korea
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/01_introduction/map_f.html
toomuchtime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all know that they now deliver?
I just renewed my visa and filled out a delivery form at the same time and within three days it was at my work. I paid 6,000 for it, but better than spending 2-3 hours travelling and waiting.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alien Registration Application Info. Sheet Reply with quote

Seoul Skye wrote:

c. You must have your school뭩 business registration ID number. That includes public schools as well.

please note that the number may not be sufficent. I got turned away from the seoul office as I didn't have the certifcate of registration.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also you don't need 3 photos. I did it with 2, one attached to the application and one for the alien reg card

btw my last E2 visa was multiple entry, I've also had single entry E2s depends on the immigration office that issues your visa confirmation letter
ohfamous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my gyopo brothers and sisters out there: a short story about my trip to get my ARC.

I went to the immigration office in Seoul. Their number is 02-2650-6223, but the Korean prompts didn't prove useful to me. So I just went there with information I gathered from Dave's as well as their own immigration website. I armed myself with my passport, (3) 3cmx4cm photos, and 10,000 won. I took the subway, Line 5 Purple, and got off at Omokgyo #521. I exited at Exit 7 and walked straight for 10 min. I followed any curve in the street and finally approached the tall 7-story gray building that said Immigration on it.

I entered through the front doors and decided I should go left. Pulled a number from the machine immediately, since it looked like there was a long wait ahead of me. Didn't find any relevant forms so I went to the right and found "Alien Registration Application". I filled it out and waited my turn. When I got in, the guy said I was supposed to go to the right side. Darn, I thought this was the right one. I went over there and pulled a number from the "Other Nationalities" machine, ignoring the Chinese and Japanese ones. I thought it was kind of weird that there was no "Korean" machine, but the said to come here. I waited for an hour there and finally got my number called. The lady took a look at my visa and said that since I'm a gyopo on an F-4, I needed to go to the second floor. OK, great. Thanks to the dumbass from the left, it's now 5:30pm, but I still got a little time left.

So I went upstairs and pulled yet another number from a machine. When I got called and gave the guy my stuff, he frowned and said that I needed my hojuk deung bon (i.e. family registry) from both my mom and my dad's side. Now this got to me. I remember jumping through several hoops at the Korean Embassy back in the US, going back multiple times with more and more documents that they requested, including the hojuk. I had given them all the documents for the visa and didn't bring any copies, and, I have never seen or heard of anyone needing this to get their alien registration card.

I needed to argue. However, unlike the downstairs clerk, this guy could only speak about 10 words in english. So I did my best impression of korean negotiation as I could, which included complaining and whining and saying the same thing over and over again. Since my korean is just slightly below a preschool level, I basically said, why do I need a hojuk again, I already gave the hojuk to get my visa, why do I need it again. He read the korean instructions written on my visa, explaining that they require the hojuk. I ignored that and said, I already provided my hojuk when I applied for the visa, why do I need it again. He frowned and flipped through my passport and then said again, that I needed my hojuk. I said, why do I need it, the visa proves I provided it already, I don't need it. He frowns again and flips through my passport again as if this stalling tactic was going to work on me. Unfortunately for him, I was not going to take no for an answer. So I just sat there staring at him, visibly showing my annoyance as well as my countenance.

After doing this little a dance a couple more times, he finally went over to the computer, looked at something, then looked at some binder. He came back and gave me a residence application to fill out and told me to make copies of my passport and visa downstairs in the basement and get a revenue stamp. I asked him if he would process my application if I did that and he said yes. So, with a little disbelief, I went downstairs, had the copies made and filled out the form. I bought the revenue stamp for 10,000 won at the little office back on the first floor.

I went back upstairs, pulled yet another number and waited. When my turn came, I gave him all the stuff. I was worried that he was going to tell me that my passport photos were too small. The website was wrong about the size - the forms clearly ask for 35mmx45mm photos. Amazingly, he took all of it and starting stamping everything. Then he gave me a pick-up slip and told me that it would be ready in 2 weeks. I confirmed this multiple times before leaving. Yay, I'm going to get my ARC!

So...everything I needed to apply for my ARC:
- passport
- copy of passport front page
- copy of visa in passport
- 2 passport photos 35mmx45mm (website says 3 and 30mmx40mm)
- 10,000 won for revenue stamp
- pissed-off attitude

Good luck to you on getting your ARC. Obviously, it would be much easier if you went with a korean friend or family member. I didn't have that luxury. Anyways, we'll see if I actually get mine...
karoly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Suwon Immigration Location Reply with quote

From Suwon Station take bus # 92. It's across from the station on the North-East corner; that's the one where you see all the buses gathering on the left side(across the street) as you come out of Suwon Station.

The fare is 850 Won.

It takes about six or seven stops to get there. The stop is Kyonggi Regional Office SMBA. The office is on the NE corner; you can't miss it.

Go to the second floor. Take a ticket for #4 on the right side, get your 10 000 Won stamp on the left side. Relax.

Good luck.
prairieboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update something.

The immigration website address has changed.

You have to try http://www.immigration.go.kr and go from there.

Cheers
David76

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is new to me. How many people actually have to go to the immigration office themselves? I thought directors usually brought the documents to the immigration office.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you apply for your ARC, you now need to bring your original degree (or presumably the notarized copy) and contact information for your university. Also if you secured the job via a recruiter, you need to supply his contact information.
peppero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... I'm applying in a couple of days, but was never told to bring my original diploma. When did this become a regulation?
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My director told us we only had to take them if we hadn't verified them in person last winter through that little "blitz" they had.

Don't know if it's true or not, going later this week so I guess I will find out then.
Hater Depot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually don't even need to go yourself. An employee of your school can go in your stead. And if it turns out that she is cute then you have a perfect excuse to treat her to coffee the next day.

ohfamous wrote:
So I did my best impression of korean negotiation as I could, which included complaining and whining and saying the same thing over and over again

In my experience that is a pretty good impression of Korean negotiation. Laughing
shetan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: ARC and Multiple Entry Visa Application and Information Reply with quote

I went to Immigration near Omokgyo station Line 5 next to Mok-dong
Alien Registration Card Application and Multiple Entry Visa

You can download the form here and use it to apply for both.

http://www.immigration.go.kr/indeximmeng.html

1. Click �Forms� on top right.
2. Select (22 Integrated Application Form)
3. Choose either :
total application.pdf
total application.hwp

Don�t forget

Passport
2x photos
50,000 won for Multiple Entry Visa
10,000 won Alien Card
Your company registration certificate.

When you enter the building turn right, go through the doors and take a ticket.

You need to go down one flight of stairs to the little shop to get the revenue stamps.

I asked them to send my the Alien Card via courier its only 5000 won� much better then going back there� It turned up 2 days later and you pay on reciept of goods... great!

Good luck.

Last edited by shetan on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you forget your companies registration certificate when you go, they'll accept faxed copies. Just as them for the number.
princess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyflyer wrote:
also you don't need 3 photos. I did it with 2, one attached to the application and one for the alien reg card

btw my last E2 visa was multiple entry, I've also had single entry E2s depends on the immigration office that issues your visa confirmation letter
My immi officer today only took 1 photo from me. I guess I'll be hearing about it if she screwed up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: