Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday in the Axis of Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Holiday in the Axis of Evil Reply with quote

BBC world will show a footage of its correspondent's holiday in North Korea 10:30pm on eastern standard time.

What would you like to do if you had an opportunity to take a summer vacation in the hermit kingdom?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go camping.

So the show is set in North Korea, huh?
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fun to get an Axis of Evil Tour Package. First, you could go to North Korea and have the most exploited people in the world tell you that they aren't exploited because they have the privlage and honor to be ruled by a short, fat man who drinks Henesey for breakfast and has a different BMW for every day of the month. Then you could go to Iran to check on the progress of their nuclear weapons project. You could then go to Iraq and get shoot at by angry citizens. To cap it all off, you could go to Cuba to see the result of a forty year trade embargo. Sounds fun.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I have a deal that when/if people can travel to NK (independantly), we are going !

The capital would obviously be on the list, but so would a lot of other things. There are a lot of beautiful mountains to see. Villages that are 50-100 years behind the times. The coast. The Korean war names, etc.

I'm thinking two months at least. Should be cheap and I'll have a translator Cool

AXIS of Evil Tour sounds great, if I was like 65. Laughing

No way would I give Hyundai money to go on one of their tours (of course, different strokes for different folks) Cool
chomsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liked the axis of evil, Twisted Evil evil, Twisted Evil evil. Twisted Evil sound bite, but the interviewer was a bit of a dickhead for baiting the north korean tour guide so much. what did he expect, that the guide would slag Dear Leader to get an all expenses one way trip to the gulag? c'mon.

next stop cuba - you can be sure those cigar chompin commies will surely be schemin to launch a nukleeur holocaust on the good ol US of A.

how they can lump Cuba in with North Korea is beyond me. why not go all the way and include those red-lovin canucks and swedes? (they trade with cuba and obviously don't give a rat's ass about the stupid american embargo). ice hockey is evil Twisted Evil evil Twisted Evil evil Twisted Evil
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chomsky wrote:

next stop cuba - you can be sure those cigar chompin commies will surely be schemin to launch a nukleeur holocaust on the good ol US of A.

how they can lump Cuba in with North Korea is beyond me. why not go all the way and include those red-lovin canucks and swedes? (they trade with cuba and obviously don't give a rat's ass about the stupid american embargo). ice hockey is evil Twisted Evil evil Twisted Evil evil Twisted Evil

Thats my point. Cuba is relatively harmless, but yet the United States continues to treat it as a member of the axis of evil. And yes, we should also include the canadians..don't trust those guys at all.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the show on next???

I keep seeing commercials for it.. really want to see it.. but missed it saturday. Also, is it like a weekly show to each different 'axis of evil' country? or is a one-episode kind of thing?
Bubbliee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right Whatthefunk, Be afraid, be VERY afraid!!!!!!!!!!
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really strange thing about North Korea is that I have a hard time imagining daily life there. I have dreams about it all the time and I don't think I'll be able to stop until I actually go there in person. It's hard to imagine the morning commute, the guy down the street who owns the convenience store, a family sitting down together to eat etc. because all I hear about it is the government but nevertheless people still live there and most likely think (are made to think?) it's the best country in the world.
That's why when I save up enough money to go there I want to talk to people more than anything else. The way things are now I would need a guide on my heels all the time but hopefully I would be able to just speak to the locals in Korean, keep my political views to myself and see what they have to say. That's what I want to do there.

Here's an idea: let's have a lotto to send one person here to North Korea. We each chip in a certain amount of cash which puts one in the raffle, then when it reaches the required amount we draw the name and send the said person up North through China... might be me, might be you...
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

I keep seeing commercials for it.. really want to see it.. but missed it saturday. Also, is it like a weekly show to each different 'axis of evil' country? or is a one-episode kind of thing?

I think it is just one episode. But, I am not sure. Oddly enough, US media is getting abuzz about North Korea, now that they get past the "war on Iraq" phase. I got the feeling that they started beating up the "war" drums, like they did with Iraq.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
The really strange thing about North Korea is that I have a hard time imagining daily life there. I have dreams about it all the time and I don't think I'll be able to stop until I actually go there in person..

I can't imagine it either. I was thinking a different thought recently though. That is that Vietnam was very closely tied up.. as well as China..

Wouldn't it be interesting if someday North Korea became the next Vietnam or China for backpack traveling and just hanging out?

Pretty hard to imagine.. but just a random thought.. how cool would that be someday if that were to occur though!! Wink
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinny wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

I think it is just one episode. But, I am not sure. Oddly enough, US media is getting abuzz about North Korea, now that they get past the "war on Iraq" phase. I got the feeling that they started beating up the "war" drums, like they did with Iraq.

Scarey.. all those soldiers still in Iraq and Afghanistan.. well we'd certainly all forget about what a mess things are in those two places if suddenly all the attention was moved to the next "axis of evil" country, wouldn't we? Scarey thought
chomsky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatthefunk wrote:
chomsky wrote:

Thats my point. Cuba is relatively harmless, but yet the United States continues to treat it as a member of the axis of evil. And yes, we should also include the canadians..don't trust those guys at all.

agree with you funk - the embargo has done a whole lot more harm than good. the states actually threatened canadian businessmen who have investments in cuba with jail if they ever set foot in the US. damn commie ice hockey playin white house trashin non surrender monkeys. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: