Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job before or after arriving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey Houghton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Finding a job before or after arriving Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Girls,

I intend to go to Pusan in a months time to hopefully take up a teaching position.

I would like your advice on whether it is better to get a job before going [ive heard recruiters can be a bit dodgy] or whether it is better for me to fly over and search out a job in person.

your responses are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Im from England if that affects anything [ive also heard its a little harder to get a job if your English compared to say American or Canadian]

Cheers guys
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lifted the following from an FAQ forum I'm building ... it's in it's unfinished form on the Q&A Forum. You may find the following links useful. Also, if you're planning to go to Pusan and if you haven't already, check out Pusanweb

Should I Use a Recruiter?

There is a great divide between those who would never use a recruiter and those that do.

1. Bad and fairly good recruiters?
2. Recruiter Bashing � What�s the Big Deal?
3. Anyone Know a Decent Recruiter for the Seoul Area?
4. Do you Avoid Recruiters?
5. Recruiters Based in the UK

Should I Just Come to Korea and Then Find Work?

A lot of people think that this is the way to go if you have the funds to pay for your own airfare and to support yourself for up to 2 months. The disadvantage is that you won't have accommodation and co-workers awaiting you.

1. Landing in Korea Without a Job?
2. Case Study: Help Me Get Over to South Korea in 4 Weeks

Where can I Find the Blacklists/Graylists/Whitelists?

There are a lot of arguments about the pros and cons of the Blacklists and Whitelists. Some question the validity of them while others think they are a good place to start. Read these threads for further information.

1. Reputability of Schools
2. The Hagwon Report
3. How accurate are the blacklists?
4. Best Hagwons or Recruiters � Any Advice?
5. Korea Newfie's Ultimate Recruiter List
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some advantages to being here and checking out the place in person, on the other hand you probably won't get re-imbursed for your airfare. (I didn't)

I did better when I got my job over the internet, but I made sure that I got names and email addresses of previous teachers before I signed.

Checked out the place with all the black/greylists and also the Job information Journal for Korea.

When I came in person, I was overwelmed and frankly, I felt a bit lost. I got panicky because I couldn't find what I was looking for and I had a few places turn me down. So I signed with a bad school because I was getting desparately low on cash. Shocked

If you are going to come in person to look, make sure you have enough to live on for at least a month + enough to get you back home if you have to leave.

I hope this helps
cheers
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracting a position from home is the easy way to get here if you don't have the cash to buy your own return ticket/live here while looking for a job. Personally I wouldn't do it since you'll be signing a year of your life away. I'd want to see where I'd be living and working, especially since these days it seems to be harder to jump schools (new immigration rules) if you find yourself in a bad situation. You also have more bargaining power between schools' offers once you're here. I'd beg and borrow the money to wing it here first, it's not like you'd have a hard time paying it back. I came on an open return ticket, the first half was give to me right away, the last half upon completion of my contract. And my apt was brand new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: