Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUSTED on 2nd day at Hagwon -- how much is the fine???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: BUSTED on 2nd day at Hagwon -- how much is the fine??? Reply with quote

I am at my 2nd day of teaching at a hagwon which got raided today.

I had turned in all of my paperwork to get the E-2 visa, but the school had not done the paperwork yet. I had to start working before they finished it because I needed the money. They showed immigration all of this paperwork, but of course, that still doesn't make it "legal".

The flight to Japan was set for next week. They told me it depends on the meeting, but I might be able to stay in Korea and teach still (not deported, they said).

How much is the fine? Is it 1 million? 2 million? 3? The school says they might pay the fine. If I don't want to pay the fine, can I just get my passport back and leave the country (not planning this, because I like Korea -- just curious)?

I've heard many things.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a signed contract with them and documents pending and awaiting for your visa run, then this is fine (or, is fine with Daegu Immigration, at least) and you nor the school will be subject to any fines.

If they do want to be a harda$$ about it, then the school should be liable for your end, me thinks. Given that they have your docs pending. Regardless, I believe your end is 2 million Won or thereabouts, but the fine can be subject to review depending on your situation.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek i've come to the conclusion you are the most accident prone teacher in Korea. Whats going to happen next??
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds more like they didnt get their bribe recently... ifyahknowwhatImean?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to pay the fine; your school does. That's their responsibility. They know that and they knew the risks. Sure, your are fined. Maybe a half a million Won. Still, you tell the school to pay it. Why should you. If you do pay it, they will stick you with something else in the future.
Sucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Dongducheon was it?
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I mistaken in thinking you had this cushy translating job a long time ago? What happened with that? And I agree with rapier...if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. Wink
richinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Derrek i've come to the conclusion you are the most accident prone teacher in Korea. Whats going to happen next??

Something from a past life maybe ???

Man you got some bad luck dude, sorry.

Make the school pay, or go somewhere else!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
Am I mistaken in thinking you had this cushy translating job a long time ago? What happened with that? And I agree with rapier...if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. Wink

Yeah, I think your name is going to get turned into a verb-

"Boy, did he ever get Derreked..."
"They Derreked him real good..."
"Man, that was one hell of a Derreking they gave him!"

Well, I hope you get a chuckle out of that and forget your troubles, if only for a split-second.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where was this??
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: You missed Reply with quote

katydid wrote:

You didn't hear about that, I guess....

Well, the reason I was here teaching illegally (although it was only supposed to be illegal for 5 days until I took my flight to japan next week) is because the "cushy translating job" was cancelled by the owner -- AFTER we signed contracts and I already had my E2 paperwork.

I had everything ready to go, and was flying back to Korea, and he ended up pulling out of the deal. My flight was coming back, and I needed to find a new job to make some cash, so I came back on the flight and lived in a hotel for 1 1/2 weeks until I found this new job.

Actually, I didn't want to work illegally, but they assured me it was only for 5 days and not a big deal (we get vacation next week while I'm gone). Well, day 2 of work, I was busted.

If it's any consolation, I didn't have my passport so immigration took me back to my home in a van (complete with bars and red light on top). My new home is on the steepest hill in Korea, and the van slid down the wet pavement and hit a parked car! They guys looked at the damage and acted like they they were going to leave, but a neighbor was watching us. They saw the neighbor (who gave them a dirty look) and slowly walked back out to the car they hit to call the number on the window.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: You missed Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
You didn't hear about that, I guess....

Well, the reason I was here teaching illegally (although it was only supposed to be illegal for 5 days until I took my flight to japan next week) is because the "cushy translating job" was cancelled by the owner -- AFTER we signed contracts and I already had my E2 paperwork.

If it's any consolation, I didn't have my passport so immigration took me back to my home in a van (complete with bars and red light on top). My new home is on the steepest hill in Korea, and the van slid down the wet pavement and hit a parked car! They guys looked at the damage and acted like they they were going to leave, but a neighbor was watching us. They saw the neighbor (who gave them a dirty look) and slowly walked back out to the car they hit to call the number on the window.

LOL (and I'm sorry for doing that) but like I said earlier....
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me recently, the fine was 500,000 won for me and 1,000,000 for my school. Actually I had a valid E-2 visa but my school had me working at a second school which wasn't legal. Both schools had the 1,000,000 fine.
I should mention that my school paid the fine, and so should yours

This should be my thread here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=5352&highlight=
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's a real (n)derrek, that guy. Always getting (v)derreked. Don't be a Derek all your life!!!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Derrek i've come to the conclusion you are the most accident prone teacher in Korea.

Maybe, but Beckerson gives him a run for his money. That fellow's seen more closing doors than the Mormon missionaries in my neighbourhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: