Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Waiting for the perfect job.....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stuey11



Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Waiting for the perfect job..... Reply with quote

I have taught in Korea now for almost 3 years at the same school just outside Seoul with a friend of mine.

Now we are looking to change schools and move to Seoul to a new school/job..

After returning home for a brief holiday we have arrived back in Korea anf have stared the job hunt...

So far there have been plenty of offers but we are being quite picky about location, working hours and accomodation....so we have turned them all down and are still looking...

Have many job offers have you turned down whilst waiting for the right job?.....and how long did it take?

i would also be intersted to know of any good agents/recruiters i could contact who are willing to intoduce us personally to schools so we can asses the job first hand rather than online..

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
denz



Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Location: soapland. alternatively - the school of rock!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Waiting for the perfect job..... Reply with quote

stuey11 wrote:
I have taught in Korea now for almost 3 years at the same school just outside Seoul with a friend of mine.

Now we are looking to change schools and move to Seoul to a new school/job..

After returning home for a brief holiday we have arrived back in Korea anf have stared the job hunt...

So far there have been plenty of offers but we are being quite picky about location, working hours and accomodation....so we have turned them all down and are still looking...

Have many job offers have you turned down whilst waiting for the right job?.....and how long did it take?

i would also be intersted to know of any good agents/recruiters i could contact who are willing to intoduce us personally to schools so we can asses the job first hand rather than online..

Thanks


turned down 5 or 6. took about 5 or 6 weeks (but i am Australian). my advice is to call rather than just email.

good luck

denz

ps/ i taught for 45 mins today. although i will probably get struck by lightning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eamo



Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Location: Shepherd's Bush, 1964.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stuey11. Welcome to the board!

I spent 6 solid weeks on the internet job-hunting. There just seemed to be no jobs that matched all my criteria.

Finally, I dropped one of my less-important criteria (Cental-Seoul location) and decided I'd just have to spend a bit more time on the subway during my next job.

Being picky is the right thing to do but I just got fed-up job-hunting. It takes a lot of patience.

Have you posted your resumes' on Dave's yet? That usually gets a lot of action going and gets the recruiters into a feeding frenzy!

There was a thread here recently about recruiters.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=6652&highlight=recruiters+julices


Good luck Stuey and keep me up-to-date.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mody Ba



Joined: 22 May 2003

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Perfect Job?No Such Animal. Reply with quote

If you are looking for "a perfect job" here...you will be looking forever.The other posters did give you good advice.You will have to set priorities.You may not get everything you want .That seldom happens in ANY job,and we are talking about English teaching in Korea here,so do not be "too" picky,although you are right to shop around.Beware of something that sounds too good to be true.It probably is too good to be true.people have been known to lie in this business. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
denz



Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Location: soapland. alternatively - the school of rock!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Perfect Job?No Such Animal. Reply with quote

Mody Ba wrote:
If you are looking for "a perfect job" here...you will be looking forever.The other posters did give you good advice.You will have to set priorities.You may not get everything you want .That seldom happens in ANY job,and we are talking about English teaching in Korea here,so do not be "too" picky,although you are right to shop around.Beware of something that sounds too good to be true.It probably is too good to be true.people have been known to lie in this business. :roll:


absolutely. prioritise what is essential for you. the downside of my job is that i need to commute for about 40 mins each way (although i enjoy
commuting for some reason). i live in itaewon, but teach in NE seoul. the flipside is that it is a great school with a great schedule. modyba is right, but dont drop your standards too much.

good luck again

denz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRob



Joined: 07 Jul 2003
Location: Narnia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Good recruiters? Well..... Reply with quote

I would say if you have the time and money cruise for a while get your recuiter to take you to the school and arrange for a private chat with one or more western teachers at the school...and for gods sake have a quick nosey at the apartment first!
I don't know if I'm allowed to say/do this on daves, but my wife and I are both recruiters, I'm a kiwi, she's an aussi, and we've been here for a few years so can tell the diff. 'tween a s**te school and a goodie. We can't offer you the amazing 3 mill. deal, but we do have the time to sit down over a beer and figure out what you really want, and drive you around to see the schools in person. PM us if you are keen- and if this doesn't get deleted by the moderators! Cheers, Rob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kimcheeking
Guest




PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Waiting for the perfect job..... Reply with quote

denz wrote:
my advice is to call rather than just email.


I would go in person. If you want to make a lasting impression - effort goes a long way.
Back to top
denz



Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Location: soapland. alternatively - the school of rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Waiting for the perfect job..... Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
denz wrote:
my advice is to call rather than just email.


I would go in person. If you want to make a lasting impression - effort goes a long way.


absolutely. you should call first though Wink

denz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International