Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BISF: Butts in seats factor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: BISF: Butts in seats factor Reply with quote

I came up with this economic theory a few years ago and I will stick by it.
I based the original theory on 4 years of experience and the last 2 have not proved me wrong yet.

I am currently at the BISF of Level 4.

Quote:
Panthermodern (think it was him) has a good formula: if the tuitionx# of students you teach is double your salary, the hogwon is doing ok. Less than that, it is in trouble.

not quite;

Is was meant as a guage of personal "success".

S: Students
T: Tuition
$: Salary

The theory is as follows:
Level 1
S x T < $ = Update your resume
Level 2
S x T >= $ but <2$ = You will hear "there have been complaints"
Level 3
S x T >= 2$ but <3$ = You are doing "OK"
Level 4
S x T >= 3$ but <4$ = You will hear nothing and management and staff will avoid or humor you.
Level 5
S x T >= 4$ but <5$ = You might get some respect.
Level 6
S x T >= 5$ = They will give you anything so long as S x T >3$
but your back a 3$ status.

Remeber:

That this is a month by month by month and day by day theory.
BUT: if you ever are at the S x T >=2$ but <3$ level you will always be one level under your actual level for the rest of your contract.

Overtime: They assign it BUT if you are assigned overtime classes and the Hakwon loses money. ie you get 15 K / hour overtime, 20 classes of one hour = 300 000 won and tuition is 100 000 won, you are losing the Hakwon 200 000 won per month.

Everything is your fault.

Example:

The Hakwon bus driver is drunk, crashes and kills all of your students, thus S x T <$, this is your fault.

CYA

Have fun kids.

panthermodern
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at level 6. Personally I think our hogwon charges too much (150,000/month). Our attendence has stalled the past couple months and I think it would go up some if tution was 25-50,000 won cheaper. But i'm not the boss and he is making a decent income anyway.
Anda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

I go with the theory that it is better to work for the crowd that has it's own money printing press and forces parents to send their kids to school. I've even gone a step futher and got a school where most live in so as to get around bus death of students. Also students are warned not to sleep with fans going in the dorm so as to avoid the you know what death. Considering that my school has 1,500 students I consider my position fairly safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: