Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Snack food (the return of...?)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khyber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Best Snack food (the return of...?)! Reply with quote

Hey...
I have a feeling that this threat may be a repeat...if so..let it slide down slowly.

I wish i knew the names of the snacks:

those ones with the crushed up peanuts and that "look like peanuts"

the "rice crispy balls" with half a peanut in them

the "digestive" cookies with half chocolate

The chocolate stuffed "shredded wheat squares"

Curry flavoured pringles (they fill you UP!)

i'm a pig

you?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojingo-po, the only kind of squid I really like; Hoduk- kind of like a 'beavertail'; Hot chestnuts and sweet potatos; those custard-filled, chestnut-shaped 'donuts'...

[A la Homer] "Mmmmm, hot chesty beaversquidnuts, argghhllff!" {drools uncontrollably}
sillywilly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poossa poossa...poosha poosha. Im not sure what the right pronunciation is. I was once at a picnic and there was an assortment of treats.. cansy, chocolate, the whole works but alll the kids were going for this snack.. So was I actually. It's just dried crushed raman with spice on it.. Very addictive though.
thinker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Street foods> > > Reply with quote

There are definitely a lot of snacks, my neighbours store was 3 shelves of snacks out of only 6> > >

My fav in store snacks are the roll cakes and those corn pops made by Crown> > >

Fav street foods being those previously mentioned Ho-tuk, also Ho-dang they come in different shapes, peanuts, walnuts and plain cake shape:filled with a paste, i prefer minimal paste> > >I ate those everyday for the last couple weeks from this guy who made em just like i like em

also the fish shaped bean and pizza filled cakes> > >then there's those traditional korean treats, DUK: bean paste filled rice, plain white or coloured, shaped like perogees

they certainly love there snacks and treats> > >
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sillywilly wrote:
poossa poossa...poosha poosha. Im not sure what the right pronunciation is. I was once at a picnic and there was an assortment of treats.. cansy, chocolate, the whole works but alll the kids were going for this snack.. So was I actually. It's just dried crushed raman with spice on it.. Very addictive though.

Er, you can make that yourself. Just buy a pack of ramyun, break it up, and pour the spice packet all over it. That's what some old students of mine did.

Didn't terribly like it, though.

I'd have to say my favorite snack is the ddouk(?)-coated ice cream.
elmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of snack foods....yeah I know nobody was, but....

I really like the curry Pringles. Anyone know if they are in Canada? I'm on my way home pretty soon and am starting to make lists...
Marathe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidenote to the general topic

has anyone found barbeque flavoured anything in this country (pringles, etc?) I've been jonesing for some since i got here.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really like the curry Pringles. Anyone know if they are in Canada? I'm on my way home pretty soon and am starting to make lists...

Nope, have not seen them anywhere- bring a case, I'll be coming over to visit!
On a positive note I have been able find Whiner's choko song-ee mushroom cookies here (at a Korean grocery store), and Loblaws carries Korean Ramyun and some Korean snacks (Honey twists, shrimp chips, ring-os etc.).
My wife was happy to discover that Jolly-Pong and Sugar Crisp are identical.

Quote:
has anyone found barbeque flavoured anything in this country (pringles, etc?)

I could have sworn I bought BBQ flavoured chips at either the Carrefour or Costco... good luck
sillywilly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know.. that's also good but not as good as actual poosa poosa.. maybe it's the power of suggestion or the type of spice they use.. thanks for the suggestion, even though Ive tried it. MASHISTAYO
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic Korean ice cream snack called "Ba-bam bar" is quite tasty (the name is easy to remember: Think of La Bamba).
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmer wrote:

Asia gets all the cool flavors of Pringles. When I was in Japan they had a "Mexican Tacos" flavor that was damned tasty. Anybody seen those in Korea?
scarneck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig on the peanut-squid balls and spicy shrimp chips. Oh, and the sugary-cinnamon cakes they sell on the street, like in Insa-dong..
masuro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marathe wrote:
sidenote to the general topic

has anyone found barbeque flavoured anything in this country (pringles, etc?) I've been jonesing for some since i got here.

You can find them in many places in a red bag. I can't remember the ame of them off-hand. There's a picture of the potato chips on the front and they're crinkles, not the flat kind (I've really been in Korea for a long time because I can't remember the proper word). They are really delicious -- certainly as good as anything I ate in Canada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: