Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUSTED on 2nd day at Hagwon -- how much is the fine???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do I get the feeling this thread is missing something...............
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

were the schools you guys were busted at were they famous francise schools? or small schools?
which location was it in?
give us some details about it!!
thanks
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: I would post but Reply with quote

I am sort of afraid to post the name of the school at this point. I'm sure you understand. Besides, I hope to continue working here. Sure, it's not a perfect situation, but all things aside, the kids are really great, and I hope things work out.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok no names.. was it a famous Franchise?
and which city was it in?
thanks..
IM sure you can answer those Q's..
thanks
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek,

Well, I'm glad I haven't been the only one with bad luck at the start of their Korean Odyssey. Now that I am about to hit the seven year mark I can tell you Derrek that luck can change. Stick it out--with the job situation and with relationships.

To answer your question...you will probably get hit with a fine and that can vary. Could be anywhere from 500,000 won to 3 million won from what I've heard, although I would expect it to be closer to the low end. Make sure your director pays it. Hopefully you will not be deported and banned from Korea for two years, but it is a possibility.

To everyone else contemplating a teaching job in Korea or about to start a new job, let this be a lesson--do not start teaching until you have a valid teaching visa. At a minimum wait until the paperwork is filed with immigration (although I'm not sure this will protect you) and do not take your director's word for it--go with him/her and verify that he/she does it. Contrary to popular belief, immigration does check from time-to-time. Just ask the Big D.

edited to correct typo....
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Discovery Reply with quote

Ok, I had the meeting with immigration....

I am now more confused, and feel like I've been totally screwed over. The immigration guy spoke NO English, which left me totally at the mercy of what my boss was saying. I was happy that the fine was only 500,000 won, BUT I am pissed because I cannot work at that school any more! At least not for 6 months. After what has happened, it would be crazy to anyway.

The thing which is really in question is that the immigration guy said that I have to leave the country by August 8th. My boss said it's not a deportation order, because I can come back in again on a tourist visa, but the paper stamped in my passport it is entitled, "Exit Order".

Worse yet, he babbled something about me not being able to work for six months. What is that all about??? According to my boss, I can try to get another job at a different school, but that whether or not my E-2 is approved is totally up to the immigration person doing approvals at the time. They may not approve it. He had no more information for us about that.

I really got pissed and sort of blew up at my boss. She said she wasn't going to pay the 500,000 won fine, which just made me more angry. I told her that she'd never be able to hire any teacher who did their research again, because of how badly I got screwed over by this whole thing (I'd post about it all over every web site possible). Then after some silence, she said she would pay it, and she did. I got my passport back, at least. She said she would hire a gyopo next time, so she doesn't have to mess around with all of this visa crap again.

So where does this leave me now? Well, I have to vacate my apartment, because key money is paid for by the school. Nevermind that I was never reimbursed for the 200,000 won "finders fee" to the realtor. My boss told me I would have to be out by next Tuesday, but one of the managers said she thinks the boss will change her mind on that. I hope so! I just spent about 3 million won on furniture, a scooter, and home theater system in the last month.

And to think --- even if I do find a place for my stuff, I MAY NOT know if I can even work at a new job. What am I supposed to do? Get interviews, then tell perspective employers that I "may not" get an approved E-2?? That would be job suicide.

A friend said I should seek the advice of the labor board. I'm so sick of getting screwed by Korea!!!!! Twice now, it's happened in two months. And I still haven't been paid for a full day of work. I'm about to say the hell with it and just leave this place.

What is that labor board phone number again? HELP!!!!!!!

Last edited by Derrek on Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! Sorry Derrek.

Check out this link and you'll find a list of all the Immigration and Labor Offices in Korea. Find the one closest to you.

Also, get in touch with EFL-Law ... administration @efl-law.com and get a third or fourth opinion on where you legally stand.

It can't get any worse, can it?
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
It can't get any worse, can it?

I bet someone's about to sue him

good luck derrek
OiGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: You missed Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
If it's any consolation, I didn't have my passport so immigration took me back to my home in a van (complete with bars and red light on top). My new home is on the steepest hill in Korea, and the van slid down the wet pavement and hit a parked car!

Derrek, I hope you were able to laugh at least a fraction of the amount I laughed at this story.
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Does anyone Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 6 month thing I posted about means you can't get a job here? Or is it just something I was told as a scare tactic?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
Does anyone know if the 6 month thing I posted about means you can't get a job here? Or is it just something I was told as a scare tactic?

Not exactly the same situation, but several years ago immigration wouldn't issue me a visa because I had too many entry/exit stamps in my passport. I went back home, got a new passport, and no problem. You might try relaxing in another country and doing the same thing.
Mankind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Go to the emabassy and say you lost your PP. You'll get a new one pretty kwik. If you need to.

2. As for the immigration thing. Each agent basically does as they see fit. Some guys might have done nothing to you, and some are pricks just because they want to be.

3. The next immigration guy you deal with, might completely ignore everything the first guy said.

4. Don't tell any new, employer about your problem. One, it might not come up. Two, they won't hire you. Three, they may take care of it for you without saying a word.

5. And lastly. Never trust immigration! Only deal with them if you must. The less you say the better. Don't talk about your old job that F'ed up, cause they'll drag that in and fine you more somehow. Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but shut-up, pay your fine and keep your head down.

6. If you really feel you got the shaft from Imm. Ignore 5 and try to talk to your agents boss. Complain about the English skills and the no work thing and stuff. He might over-turn it, especially if you threaten to contact
his boss. I was desperate like you when I first got here, due to a very similar situation, and thats what I did. It worked, but I think I got a little lucky.

HAND Smile

The other choice is to go to Japan/Taiwan with all your stuff and work there. Might be a better idea for you.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Pay Reply with quote

Well, turns out my school didn't pay my fine... they did, but they aren't paying me for my 2 days of work, because they paid the fine.

Also, they want me to pay another 100,000 won to live in the apartment until Aug. 8th.

Urgh.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: