Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerbook needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smwood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Powerbook needed Reply with quote

OK here's the sad story; my Powerbook died. I need a replacement; either a PB or an iBook. Later model preferred. Anybody selling?

Or, does anyone know where I can take my PB to get fixed? I think it's just the power button; it was iffy for a while. I took it to a local PC repair place and the guy took out the battery and asked "is this the hard drive?" Scary.

PM me if you have anything. Cheers.

~ smw
zappadelta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Apples are dying all over the place.
cheem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for stating the obvious, but have you tried taking the pb to an Apple service center?

What are the symptoms? What are the specs? Also, if you can't get it fixed would you consider selling it?
smwood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have considered the obvious but don't know where an Apple service center is - that's one of the reasons I asked the question in the first place. I don't speak Korean, so I don't know if the Seoul Apple store is the only place I can take it (or if they even do repairs there) and local PC stores just look at me in wonder and fear when I pull out the PB to show them. It's also next to impossible for me to get to Seoul in the week; I'd mail it but then we hit snag i.e. me not being able to speak Korean.

My Korean colleagues have tried to help but they barely speak English; we just end up in this mad dance of miscommunication. That's why I posted here...

It's not for sale; I just want a replacement until I can get it fixed and/or get a new one. I'm pretty sure it's the power button; as I said in the OP it was iffy for a long time.

So. Anyone?

~ smw
Masterjazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My powerbook died a while ago, the hard drive went, i hjad been travelling with it for about 8mths and the different voltages apparently got to it... didnt die as such but needed a new hard drive

I went tyo the service centre which is just beside sinsa station (orange line near Seoul nat.univ education). theyre were very very good and patient, and did everything they could for me. I did however go with a korean friend as their english was pretty minimal. HOwever the engineer there seemed ver knowledgeable and i was sure that it would ahve to be sent to the US for repir so was quite impressed when they did it. It wasnt cheap but ive no intention of buying one of those dual chip ones yet...

I had the number of the place but im afraid ive lost it.. or wait i still ahve the service receipt;

tel: 511-6511 the rest is in Korean so no good to ya.

Any other questions u can pm me if u want.

Btw the centre is oopen on Saturdays until 4 aswell
smwood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's very useful. Is that the Apple Service station? I have a new HD in the PB so it's not that (I mean, it's brand new!) and the switch has been bad for a while.

What's "expensive?"

~ smw
Masterjazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem..

yes its the apple centre.. it also has www.applecentre.co.kr on the receipt although havent checked that

My advice is just go there, they seem very knowledgeable there and if you can even just show it to the technician, he might know what the problem is.

They asked me to leave it in for a few days then they called me(well my K friend actually ) and went through the options... they were:

reformat: 35,000
or
extract all the data:120,000
or new hard drive
60gig :180,000
80gig:220,000
or thereabouts

Seeing as i had already backed up everything and could do the reformat myslkef but knew that wouldnt be a permenaant solution i just bought the new hard drive.

Thought it was good that they called and gave me the options before they actually did anything.. It was not cheao but it was what i needed

I think you should at least bring it in and check YOUR options before you start looking for another one!

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: