Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquasces1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: What are my chances? Reply with quote

Hello members,

I am a Vietnamese Canadian who would like to obtain an ESL teaching position in Korea. I do meet all the requirements except that I am not a native English speaker. I do speak English very well, and if it weren't for the color of my skin, you would think that English is my native Language. However, I heard that it's very difficult for Asian to get teaching jobs in Korea? Is this true? Should I give up now? Any recommendations?

Aquasces1
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have a bit of a tough time in this game- appearance is as important as actual ability (if not more so). Unfortunately many (but thankfully not all) Koreans still equate 'English teacher' with 'caucasian', so you'll have to do extra legwork finding a position. I don't want to discourage you but that's the way it is- not impossible, but it's harder if you're not white.

Give up now? I can't advise you on that- it depends on how much patience you have and how badly you want to find a job.

If you do proceed, keep the "I'm not a native speaker" to yourself- as long as you've got a Canadian passport and a degree from a university in an English speaking country, that's all they need to know.
Tancred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately though, with the passport the picture is included and it can quickly be deduced from there whether you are caucasion or not. It's a sick industry is what it is...and sometimes is not even the directors of the school, but rather the attitude of the parents. And they simply acquiesce to their demands rather than losing the business. But if you're a native english speaker then you might be able to get something. I've seen a few non-whites here who didn't look like they were in the army, so i can only assume that they're teachers...in fact, i think i'm going to do a poll on this...

t.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There a Korean-American teacher who has a blog - www.lostinkorea.com ... you might want to email him, maybe?

There was already a thread on here earlier, so look back into the archives.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex-roommate was also a Korean citizen, adopted by U.S. parents, who was raised in America and came back to Korea to teach.

The boss lady actually really really liked the guy.
Birnsy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I knew a Vietnamese Canadian girl in the city where I was teaching and she had no trouble finding work. Her boss loved her to bits. She was bubbly, kind, and outgoing. It's true, many hogwan owners ideally desire a blonde blue-eyed teacher, but there are a lot who aren't. It's possible for you to find work. You will.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two teachers at my uni. who have an Asian backgrounds, and I have also worked with another Asian American. I think the important thing is ability to speak English. If you are a native speaker, then make sure your potential employer is well aware of the fact. Make sure he/she realizes where you received your schooling (hopefully in an English country). It may take you a little longer to find a job, but not impossible.

Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: