Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Alien Registration card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: No Alien Registration card Reply with quote

I didn't get an alien registration card, so what will happen when I leave Korea? Is it a fine for 100,000 won or is it more serious? I asked my director before the 90 day period was up and she knew nothing about it so I just kind of forgot about it. Embarassed Yikes, what's going to happen to me?
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, do you have a valid E-2 visa? (stamped in your passport?)

If so, you're (relatively) okay.
If not... then I'm guessing you came into Korea on a tourist visa which is usually good for 3 months. If you've been working for a year at the school then technically you've overstayed your visa by 9 months (and broken the terms by working on a tourist visa) - not good. I've heard that immigration fines by the day so you might get a nasty surprise.

If you have the E-2 visa but no alien card when you leave, then you'll have a 100,000 won fine but that's it.

I could be wrong about this though, so hopefully someone else can clarify/confirm.
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: When? Reply with quote

Jordan; when do you leave Korea? Do you agree to pay the fine, or do you hold the director responsible for your lateness?

I am/was in a similar situation. Asked repeatedly for the necessary documents, and I received them about 120 days after my E-2 visa issuance. Director and manager weren't really too concerned about it. I refused to pay the fine. I am in my 10th month, and I just received my card last week. The director did pay for the fine this month, but deducted that amount from my final salary! And is wanting to cancel my visa. Sorting it out now, and many other problems, with a lawyer. The lawyer agreed that the director is responsible for providing you/me/employees with the necessary documents; with or without out us verbally requesting said documents. Wonjangnim knows the rules.

If you are here for a few more months I would suggest you hold the director responsible for the amount - your choice. I didn't have physical access to my director's business license and so on...doubt you did either. If I did there wouldn't be any fine.
If you have one more week here you are probably out of luck, but it's only $100.00. I really hope you have an E-2.

Post again if you want to hold the director responsible for the amount. It's a bit of a run-around at Immigration. I think it is room #202 you go to. Don't waste any time downstairs. Cash is no good. You have to go to a designated bank (a few blocks from Immigration), and deposit the 100,000. Take the reciept back, and Bob's your uncle.
It's possible you can simply pay at the airport Immigration, but go early if you intend to take that route. Never know how long it could take.

Good luck.
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten a new passport since I came (two contracts at the same place ago), and have nothing - nothing! - stamped in it. It's all on my foreigner card.

My Korean wife asked about this last time I renewed my visa. It's kosher.

But that would lead me to believe that if you don't have a card, you're getting the runaround...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: