Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did they fight for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mongrel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: What did they fight for? Reply with quote

Ironic how on Saturday, the 50th anniversary of the armistace, myself and my Korean girlfriend were abused by a Korean man, simply for being together. Today I looked at newspapers from home and see our PM comforting a crying veteran.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did they fight for? Reply with quote

mongrel wrote:
Ironic how on Saturday, the 50th anniversary of the armistace, myself and my Korean girlfriend were abused by a Korean man, simply for being together. Today I looked at newspapers from home and see our PM comforting a crying veteran.

Do you hold the entire nation accountable for the actions of one individual? What is your point exactly?
bignate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just wanted everyone to know that he had a
Quote:
Korean girlfriend

That's all.

I really don't see the irony though Confused

Last edited by bignate on Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They fought to end armed agression, and they succeeded.
OverLeft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:

Kinda like that "War on Terror" thing... I mean "War on War", or "Terror on Terror", maybe, I mean "Terror on War", was it, ugggh I don't know.. I can never keep these things straight. No wait... that's right, it was the "War on Drugs" yeah that one worked out really well, I remember when I could find just about any kind of illegal substance I wanted within a few blocks of my home, now I can't anymore... Wink They sure did a great job erradicating that problem.... Razz
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify that for you:
They fought to end the armed agression by the Chinese and the Russians on the Korean peninsula, and they succeeded.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Ingratitude Reply with quote

Similar comparisons might be made everywhere. The French have no thanks to Americans for liberating them in '45 (although they still like Canadians in Holland for doing the same). Russians don't thank Gorbachev for dismantling communism. Canadians don't thank Americans for protecting them from superior armies, such as Monaco's (sorry, cheap dig). Israel doesn't thank anybody.

I'm hard pressed to think of a nation grateful to a liberating army in the long term. It's not reasonable, but human beings aren't reasonable, and I think societies unconsciously project their shame at not being able to do it themselves onto the people who defended them. Just a theory. Cool

This doesn't excuse the old xenophobic gentleman. Confused
Ken:>
denz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OverLeft wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

Kinda like that "War on Terror" thing... I mean "War on War", or "Terror on Terror", maybe, I mean "Terror on War", was it, ugggh I don't know.. I can never keep these things straight. No wait... that's right, it was the "War on Drugs" yeah that one worked out really well, I remember when I could find just about any kind of illegal substance I wanted within a few blocks of my home, now I can't anymore... :wink: They sure did a great job erradicating that problem.... :P

nonono. don't count out the white house think tank too quickly. they have now tied the anti-drug campaign to terrorism.

one of the ads even goes so far as to say "if you buy drugs, you are funding terrorism". as far as i can tell, when i used to buy a baggy from my local dealer, the only terror that resulted was on the screen of his playstation one. but buying oil from africa/the middle east would never fund terrorism? word.

denz
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, U.N. and ROK forces didn't exactly fight for mongrel's right to date Korean women. I'm sympathetic, but things are getting much better in this area.

However, the final result of the Korean War isn't exactly what anyone had in mind either. Sure, South Korea is a prosperous democratic nation now, but things were pretty nasty under the Rhee and Park regimes before that. Plus two million Koreans died on both sides of what is now the DMZ. Should South Koreans be thanking the U.S. for that? Or for the continued division between the North and the South?

I get sick of the anti-American/foreigner hysterics, too. Nevertheless, the 50th anniversary of the armistice isn't exactly cause for anyone to be celebrating or giving joyful thanks to the U.S. military.
mongrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: what did they fight for. Reply with quote

i'll admit now that my original post was lame. if i'm totally honest, it was a pathetic attempt to insite some bitter comments about korea and koreans. i'm in one of those "i hate korea phases", and it's my problem, not korea's. i'll say one thing in my defence, it was not to make people aware that i have a kgf. one person's actions don't sum up a nation butterfly, but it's clearly a popular sentiment amongst a lot of them all the same. we could all argue this forever, but it wouldn't make any difference in reality. there are good and bad people in all countries, and i've been foolishly focusing on too much of the bad recently. i'm sure it's no picnic for koreans settling in other countries either.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israel doens't thank anybody?

Truman is revered in Israel-do you have unresolved Attention Span Issues?
Alias

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find that Israel is very grateful towards the US either. Especially Likud. The US is its biggest supplier of arms and its best friend by far. How many times has the US used its veto on the Security Council for Israel?
camel96

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet!!!!!
Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chilsung

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ingratitude Reply with quote

Russians don't thank Gorbachev for dismantling communism.

Why would the Russians be thankful for the dismantling of their economy?I guess you have not lived there since the fall of communism. It is 10 times worse than it ever was. That is why in 96 there was a large populace movement to resume a comunist government. The election was so close that they had to have 2 seperate ballot counts.
Though Gorbachev won the peace prize, the only thing that the Russian populace praises Gorbachev on is the end of the War in Afghanastan.
As to the original post. It is ironic sometimes that one countries ally and savior becomes quickly their enemy.
I do believe that most older Koreans I have met are thankful and grateful. I have never had anything but good experiences with older Koreans I must say that I am not a flag waver, but my grandfather did die in this country. He was a marine and gave his life to do what he thought was right to protect South Korea. So, I really tend to get sick of students as well as posters on this web who want to piss on the memory of soldiers that died for protecting someone elses freedom.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of people wanting foreign armed forces out of their country is not unusual no matter what the circumstance and the reasons why they want them out are not always going to be clear.

Most likely it is easier, and I can understand this , for Koreans to blame America than to blame themselves. I think I would probably do the same thing.

What ticks me off is that the Korean Women's Liberation Movement has gone one step further than the obvious and rather than attack their own society for allowing the oppression of women to continue, they have allowed the ROK government to portray the American military forces as prostitute hungry maniacs.
Women in Korea are allowing Korean men to use USA military forces as a scapegoat for women's oppression in Korea by not having massive protests that demand laws which guarantee women's equal rights in Korea.
Most of the protests in Korea are centered around the idea that Korean women must remain subservient to Korean men.
The world cup/anti-american events were directly related to not allowing women to speak out for themselves.
Anti-Americanism in Korea is a subconscious effort by Korean males to keep their women subservient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: