Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Absinthe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demophobe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an aquaintance who swears by a pound of ether and a bottle of nutmeg for a 'lost weekend'.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Swiss company kicking around that still makes the real stuff. Expensive and in limited supply though.
peemil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grog and absinthe.

*DARKNESS*

Last time I was in Prague, I pulled down my pants in the street and danced upon a statue.

*DARKNESS*

Club and more grog.

*DARKNESS*

Wandering home- Burping loudly.

*DARKNESS*

Screwing in alley.

*DARKNESS*

Wake up. Exactly- What was that all about?

Go downstairs.

Grog and absinthe

*DARKNESS*
seoulkitchen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some absinthe in Barcelona, it was pretty cool. Slightly hallucenagenic. Wandering around Barrio Gothica late at night after drinking a few..... oh yeah.

Brought some back here from Canadia. I like to drink it with the flaming sugar cube. I think I will be sad when it's all gone...

I made some fake absinth with 'suk' and soju. You need to use the stems of the suk (sook?) to get it to work. Made me really sleepy tho. (Suk is usually used as a sleep aid) But it seemed to do the trick.

Good stuff, that absinth....
SirFink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
The majority of the stuff sold online has no hallucinogenic properties ...

Meaning the "real" stuff contains hallucinatory substances? I'm afraid not. That's a myth right up there with the worm in tequila makes you trip out on peyote. Wormwood merely flavors the stuff. Any hallucinations you experience come from the alcohol.
shoeboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For best effects get Mata Hari as it has the most thujone in it. The effects aren't hallucinogenic though, thats a myth. Its more like speed. You get woken up and talkative. Tend to think alot while on it. I think thats why people get so hammered on it, they get the speed buzz and dont realize how drunk they are, then the effects wear off and the booze hits them hard. Its really to expensive to drink all the time. Imagine drinking a few shots then doing some speed.
Its really not all that bad for you. Modern testing hasn't really been done and old tests are crap. I think it was made illegal for the effects it was having on French society, which is why its thought by many to be a French drink. I think its actually Swiss though.
rumdiary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to my question, is it legal to order online? It sounds like it's legal to have, I'm just wondering if Korea has any laws about recieving alcohol in the mail.
seoulkitchen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn good question, is it legal to have in korea? Everyone I've talked to (Koreans) have no idea about it. From what I saw on an Absinth website, it is no prob to import into Korea.
I think the USA is the only place where you can't have fun with it.

As far as the 'myths' go, man I've hallucenated after a good round of absinth, and I know a thing or two about hallucenogenics. It was mild, but much better than any other alcohol.
So you people who think it doesn't have that extra special kick, 'bite me'.

BTW, I think absinth was banned (in the states) because of Lizzy Borden, or some other axe murder....
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absinthe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A reservoir glass filled with a naturally colored vert next to an absinthe spoon.

Absinthe is a distilled, highly alcoholic, anise-flavored spirit derived from herbs including the flowers and leaves of the medicinal plant Artemisia absinthium, also called wormwood.

Although it is sometimes incorrectly called a liqueur, absinthe does not contain added sugar and is therefore classified as a liquor or spirit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe
nater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i brought back a couple bottles from the philippines and i've got 2 different types and their both french actually.. one's called Absente and the other is Pere Kermann's.. anyone tried them?

i dunno i've always wanted to try it ever since i saw trent rezner (NIN) try it in his "the perfect drug" video.. i remember it looked pretty crazy and was like yeah, giddy up...

it's definitely a different high and it felt really warm in my stomach and all the way down.. i was proper fuc$ked for sure... i recommend it...
Hope

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get in Japan (Osaka). Get someone to pick it up for you when they do a visa run. There was no problem bringing it back into Korea.
Callipear

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried many different kinds of absynthe (since I lived in Paris for several years). Actually, it only recently became legal again. There is the fake absynthe (producing no effects other than those from alchohol) and there are pricier, good bottles of the stuff. However, the best I've had was a gift. My friend ordered it from a website in Spain and had it sent to the US, so I see no reason why there'd be trouble having it sent to Korea.

re:cursive and mack the knife:

As for the milky color of absynthe when water is added to it...it's definitely not caused by the wormwood! Pastis does exactly the same thing. In fact, traditionally made pastis and absynthe taste very similar, because both have many of the same herbs - especially anisette.

So if you like the taste of absynthe and don't really care about it's "other" properties, buy some pastis. I bought a great bottle of it at Jell in Itaewon (near the Hyatt), for 40,000W; and they sell run-of-the-mill pastis (Ricard) at Carrefour too, for 35,000W.
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere to buy absinthe in Seoul with the "other" properties?
HapKi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to answer your qustion- no no where in Seoul.
I have a bottle sitting in the place it should be. my house.
5 year ago question, but still a good qustion to ask..
The part about "other", I think I know, but can you explain yourself better.
IamBabo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Absinthe Reply with quote

Hi,

I was at a Homeplus in Ansan and they had it right there on the shelf...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: