Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the "Red Door" Market in Itaewon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Where is the "Red Door" Market in Itaewon? Reply with quote

Just wondering...want to pick up some stuff next time I'm in the neighborhood...
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

| |
| |BK <-5 min walk-> red door
| -*------------------------------*-----------------
| ---------------------------------------------------
| |
| |

As you come up from the subway, go to the corner with Burger King and head down that street (opposite Hamilton Hotel). Don't expect any signs, just a tiny hole-in-the-wall place with a red door. Stroll a little further on the same street and you'll find another competing place. Go even further, and on the other side of the street you'll come to a large grocery store with all kinds of foreign food, including several different kinds of cheese (cheddar among them).

Good luck-
The Lemon
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have corn tortillas?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I'm there. Cheese!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hannam supermarket in the basement of the Volvo building can also be a good place to shop for foreign groceries- about a block and a half up from the Harley dealership, on the east side of the street coming off the Hannam bridge (e.g. just south east of the Japanese section of Itaewon).
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re; the red door in itaewon. in previous posts i've heard that kraft dinner, that vital foreign teacher comfort food, goes for 4,500 won a box in itaewon. however, if you go to namdemun market's import goods section it can be had for the thrifty amount of a mere 2000 won. along with myriod other 'foreign' delectable belly stuffins'. that includes cheddar cheese, cheeze whiz, dill pickles, real hotdogs, bacon, protein and bodybuilding supplements for the gym, boozes of all varieties, western drug store goods like deodorant, etc. Namdemun market is at the hoeyon stop on the light blue line. the foreign import goods market there is marked by a gate with 'foreign import goods' written on it. that gate heads down a cement ramp into an underground catacomb of stalls lit by electric bulbs hanging on cords. on locale and stumped for directions, there is a tourist information kiosk speaking english. methinks itaewon is more expensive for these goods since itaewon is more strictly for foreign
folks. the import goods at namdemun are scooped up by koreans, mostly, so the prices are more competitive.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: So is it... Reply with quote

So is it along the same street that both Hamilton and BK are on? According to your map, it would put it somewhere across the street from the International Clinic?

Or do I take that little street perpendicular to Hamilton that passes the bottom of hooker hill, bus stop, and antique stores? I took the perpendicular route today. Not sure i went the right way.

I ask because I walked that way today, and found a real hole-in-the-wall with a little red door inset about 5 feet from the front door of some place, but it was locked. Didn't seem opened for business.

Is this the same place?
jaderedux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

Me too Derek! I was there this morning some recessed hole in the wall with a red door. It was locked. I walked down what I call the antique street pass a couple of pharmacies and a money exchange place. But didn't see much in the way of markets.......?? Confused

Is this the place or am I just stupid....the latter is entirely possible...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
riley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem finding Red Door yesterday, except I didn't even find a small red door. I found nothing.
Says something about our craving for western food that three of us went looking. I wonder how many more have been searching for it?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemon's map requires one more point of reference, namely, where the Hamilton Hotel is. Though, I do think the map is saying go down the road perpendicular to the main drag of Itaewon.

I haven't been looking for the shop yet, but I do suspect I might be looking very soon.
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys, it isn't that hard to find. I found it my first try about a year ago. You will be taking the street that is between Burger King's and Gecko's. Take that street down and keep on the left side. Look hard. The shop should be open...I've been there many,many times and it has never been closed. Now, if you're searching for it after 7 pm...I don't know...maybe they close up shop by then. I just went last week...got some Doritos, Pop Tarts, Lucky Charms. Small and pricy...but if you want the good stuff, you're going to have to pay a price for it. It is really convenient for those of us who are tired of Korean food and looking for some western stuff in Korea.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Doritos in Buy the Way!
Wishmaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's groovy that you can get Doritos there. I live in the sticks and when I go to Seoul, I don't have time to search for separate stores that sell certain items. Where I live...there is one small market and it sells zero western foods. I live about 20 miles from the closest large city. Therefore, my options are limited. I'll take it where I can readily and easily obtain it. Twisted Evil
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red door that is locked is not "the red door." Keep going. The "red door" is actually a door outlined in red. Just keep looking for a small store with food on 2 shelves. It is on the same street with all the furniture stores. I couldn't find tortillas though. Where can I get corn tortillas?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing tortillas in the frozen section of Hannam Super (see above in this thread), but I can't remember if they were corn or flour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: