Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Big problem Reply with quote

I'm running into a huge problem here. Maybe someone can offer advice or assistance. I am supposed to fly to Korea tomorrow. I have no ticket.
All along, the school said they would find the ticket for me and courier it. Last night, still no ticket.....but I get a phone call telling me I must find the ticket. And they give me a price range of $1250-$1300 Canadian. To leave the next day. From Newfoundland.
Maybe this would be possible, given a month in advance...but not 24 hours. I was able to find a ticket for $2800.....and got it lowered to $2000 but my travel agent has been contacted by someone in Korea telling her it is too much, and they will not pay it.
It is in my contract that they will pay for my flight. And I start work on Monday....supposedly.
What can I do? Are they breaking contract?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont look for a direct flight!!
you will have to have stop overs, that way you will get SEAT and it will be much much cheaper!

try singapore airlines or cathy pacific. stop overs in singapore or hong kong but cheaper, longer yes, but you will get here!!
for around 1000 dollars..
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the school cancel my contract? I already have my E-2 stamped on my passport and the contract has been signed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school can cancel your Visa, yes.

The fact that they said they sent you a ticket when it fact they didn't... is a big warning sign.

I would simply tell them you can't find an appropriate flight at the cost they mentioned. They are responsible for your ticket and they didn't come through. Not to mention the fact they are perfectly capable of purchasing a ticket that you can pickup at the airport, no need to courier it to you.

They're trying to screw you, don't let them.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you suggest that I do? I'm really stressing out....
Can I work in Korea again if this job falls through?
justagirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they wanted a cheaper ticket, they should have bought it sooner. If they don't want to pay for the ticket you found, then ask them to cancel your visa. You'd have to wait to find another job and go through the whole visa process again if you do this, though.

I do agree that this is a bad sign. If it falls through, don't feel too bad, because any school should have gotten the ticket to you sooner. Also, they were supposed to pay for the ticket, not you.

You are not breaking the contract by not going to Korea tomorrow. Don't worry about that.

I know you must feel really stressed and upset right now, but I hope you can sit back and let things happen as they come. You are supposed to work next Monday, but they may have to wait. After all, they NEED you. They can't just hire someone else and get them to Korea before you. They would have to go through the entire visa process. YOU are the teacher they want, and it would be a huge hassle for them to find someone else at this exact moment.

I think you could tell them that they will have to find you a ticket and let you know when you will be leaving Canada. Let them know that if it isn't done within the next week, it might be better for you to work for a school that is a bit more organized about their teachers.

I don't know the whole story on the visa part...does anyone know if there is a chance she'd have to wait a whole year for this current visa to expire if she ended up not going? She wouldn't be registered with immigration yet...no Alien ID card, etc.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: just demand the ticket. Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for all your help!
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take this job and shove it. Common sense SHOULd be telling you that. They are screwing you around on the airfare and you're not even working at the school! You can expect to have lots of problems if you work for them. In your contract, it should have mentioned airfare!? The school is responsible for airfare.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, common sense is telling me there is a problem...
My recruiter says that the school will provide airfare, but the price is too high. They will try to find a cheaper ticket......which is no help to me because I do not know when......if...I will be coming to Korea.
My problem is that my passport is already stamped for my E-2. Does anyone know what I can do about that?
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

My gut instinct tells me that you should ditch this job. They can't handle the simple afair of getting you a ticket. Things would likely get worse once you get here. I would phone the korean embassy nearest you and ask them about cancelling your E2 visa. If it looks like you can do it with no problem then tell your school that you are not coming.
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez...it's a pretty big warning sign.
I think PT's right. Tell them for whatever reason you're not buying the ticket yourself. Tell them you don't have that type of money or that it's impossible for you to buy that ticket at the price they want at this time of year in Canada and they'll have to sort it out or you can't come.
Or can't come for another 6 weeks until the prices go down.
Most likely they'll end up buying a ticket in this case. Assuming they do still want you to come....?
It's funny how often schools in Korea are willing to give their new teachers an absolutely horrendous first impression of their hagwon just so they can save themselves 50 bucks or something.
It's a bad situation for you. Do you have your heart set on Korea...?
Taiwan also is nice.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given their urgency, it sounds like you'd better be prepared to be thrown into a classroom within hours of your arrival at Incheon airport- NOT a good start to a year in Korea.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did something like this in 1995. I simply said "get me a ticket or I can't come." It was amazing how quickly the ticket showed up.

Ditto in '96, for me. But I'd have to agree that this school sounds like they may be a little dodgy. That said, you're in a position of power, so if you can leverage that without making them lose face, go for it.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elizabethjane wrote:
Can the school cancel my contract? I already have my E-2 stamped on my passport and the contract has been signed

I understand that your E-2 Visa isn't validated until you visit the immigration department in Korea together with a representative from your school. They have no hold over you, you can seek another contract in Korea. I wouldn't go even if you do find a ticket, they sound as though they are utterly incompetent and argue over pennies. Go with more reputable firm.

As Jacksarang said, it can all be done through the travel agents so that you can pick up the ticket at the airport, that's what they did when I came here. It's so easy, there is no need for an expensive courier service, leading me to suspect they are lying to you.

It may be that they have decided not to hire you and are too gutless to tell you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: