Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do the Korean teachers make at your hagwon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Den

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: How much do the Korean teachers make at your hagwon? Reply with quote

Hey just a quick question. My Korean wife who has no teaching experience but who speaks English well and has just spent the last 5 years in Canada has been offered a job at an institute starting at 950 000 per month working including Saturdays. She turned down the job. How much do the Korean teachers you know make. Any details on starting wages, experience, qualifications etc, would be appreciated.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at an adult hogwan they should take 40-45% of the tuition of each student in thier classes. Really popular teachers make big bucks.

I worked at 2 adult hogwans and this was how they worked it. Childrens hogwans notoriously pay low.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korean co-worker makes 1.5mil and she's very happy with that. She's not long out of uni, works mon~fri with one free morning (same schedule as me) while her friends are slaving away, long hours, mon~sat at big companies for around 1.3mil.

However, the regular Korean teachers (not Korean English teachers) at the kindergarten make only 700,000~1million.

Last edited by waterbaby on Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Trinny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am telling ya.
Unionized production workers make a way more than that. This is how much a university degree is worth these days.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting...when I worked at a hagwan last year, I was making 1.8 million won for about 30 hours a week work. My Korean counterparts were making about 800,000 won, and had to go to meetings, clean, call the parents. I felt bad for them.
Fast forward to this year. I am working less hours then the Korean professors, but also hav less vacation time. I am still making 1.8 million won, and I hear these guys are making like 3 or 4 million a month. Of course, I also hear they have to work with the braindead freshmen for the rest of their lives, and I can skip outta here anytime I want (after I finish my contract, of course!)
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korean teachers at my last school made a lot more than the foreign teachers, but they also worked longer hours, had a lot of staff meetings to attend, report cards to write, parent-teacher interviews etc. and of course they weren't provided with housing.
koreatattoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Do not Get Sucked in! Reply with quote

I would never let my wife work at a hogwon. Saying that, it would be her choice, not mine!

Because you are married, I would suggest that you find a small hogwon outside of Seoul. You make a contract for two workers.If the can not meet your demands, than find another school !

I have one wife, one daughter, a three bedroom apartment, 2.2 won a month and a schedule that is fantastic. My wife does not work for my school and teaches privates at 30,000 an hour on average.

Do not get suck in; listenning to recruitiers preaching what a boss wants to pay. Your value and your wifes value is high in this country.It is your life, do the research, place adds all over the place and you will find work that is worth your qualifications.
Corvid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinny wrote:
I am telling ya.
Unionized production workers make a way more than that. This is how much a university degree is worth these days.
Not to get too far off topic, but maybe this is because production work is hard work. Plus they're intelligent enough to form or join a union to protect them from owners who would try to squeeze the life out of them for chicken-feed, kinda like hagwon owners do. I've read about why unionization wouldn't work for ESL teachers, but a trade association might not be a very bad idea for us fish-out-of-water.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw my boss give my coworkers a bag of rice last pay day...
NearlyKorean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Apples and Oranges Reply with quote

In my neck of the hogwan woods, the Korean teachers made less than the foreigners but also taught less hours...

We both have to do phone teaching and attend meeting, etc.

In most Hogwans, I think Korean Teachers make less and teach fewer classes, but have more non-teaching duties.

Really, I don't feel you can compare the two and get a good sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mongrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: how much do korean teachers make Reply with quote

the two at my school make 1m per month.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Beckerson wrote:
I think I saw my boss give my coworkers a bag of rice last pay day...

You crack me up, man. To bad you don't drink anymore, I'd be glad to have a pint with ye
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that Korean teachers make 30 million a month. Come on people! Very Happy
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose my school is a bit of a different story. Last week on payday, one of my partner teachers was grumbling about her paycheck - had some classes cut and lost some pay as a result (which I can sympathize with). Showed me her paystub to complain to me about hte low pay that she gets....then I stopped sympathizing with her.

For my 35 classes a week I earn 1.6 million a month (gross pay)....a pittance compared to other foreigners here, but that's the joy of YBM. She teaches 21 classes a week, and when you add in her per student bonus, and per class bonus, she earned 1.8 million for the month (again, gross pay).

So, 2/3 of the classes, and an extra 200,000 won per month.

Yes, they have to phone all of the mothers every month, but foreigners have to do written report cards, I realize not as much work involved in that, but I would rather be in the position where I could phone the parents and have my coments understood instead of wasting my time writing what they can't read. And, the Korean teachers have full say in level-changes for the kids, what new book we will teach, etc etc - foreigners have NO input at all.

So, all the talk of Koreans making less than we do for more work isn't exactly across-the-board here.
indiercj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamu : Do you pay for your own house? If so i would agree with you but considering that even a tiny one room studio in Seoul costs 700,000-1M per month and assuming the korean teacher is not provided with housing i think you're wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: