Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you think of Asia and Korea before you came here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in Asia ever since the day I was walking down the sidewalk and saw the very first real live (not movie) Asian chick I'd ever seen turn into a fire-breathing dragon. I thought, "How cool!"
sillywilly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there would be a lot more bowing. They don't bow to me enough.. Man, I even bow to other westerners... Noone bows to me. Mad
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting topic that should probably be re-lived!!
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What did you think of Asia and Korea before you came here?

Korea? Think?

Japan? Actually I had some illusions about Japan, some true, some not. Japan really is a clean place. It also has a lot of nice and very polite people. But there's a sometimes nasty nationalist undercurrent a strong as anything in Korea--I never knew about that. Oh yeah, and it has this thing about weird sex I never knew about or expected.

China? Lots of people. But more modern than I expected (at least Beijing was). I suppse I need to learn more about China.

South-East Asia--a little fun and exciting and a little dangerous. But that's only a general impression. I definitely need to learn more.

I honestly never studied much Asian history or culture before coming here (I liked American and European history much more) so I've tried to make up for it since coming, especially Korean history. It's funny how many times I've named a famous Korean historical figure or event that my students had no clue about--especially modern Korean history. But they all know much more about the old dead kings.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew virtually nothing about korea before arriving..it was all a big, in at the deep end adventure. But i did imagine teaching a lot of quiet, respectful, bowing, well behaved kids. Fou moi!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i came here, i'd worked on a masters for 2 years on and off..went through bouts of insanity, a common thing with post-grad research...at least that's what i've noticed...all my friends left from varsity to go overseas after undergrad degree....so i was left with this masters and no life back home.
i have a student loan...i could choose..go to the UK and work a really kak job, settle myself for a long-term job in SA without the chance of much travel, or come to the east...and at least experience 'something'.
it never ceases to amaze how certain decisions can rest on thin air.

.....did i mention i'm only attracted to asian women? Very Happy Very Happy
see what i mean....
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only thought about Japan and always wanted to go. I do remember talking to a recruiter about Korea ten years ago. They wanted me to go through every medical test known to man from TB to HIV. So far I've only been to Japan on visa runs.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was terribly ignorant, but I had the idea that there was Seoul the big cosmopolitan city (ahem) and then there was nothing else. Like straight out of M*A*S*H Embarassed I was wondering if there would even be indoor plumbing LOL
Man I was disappointed to see everyone wearing jeans and talking on cell-phones, in a way. Smile But I think there are other, more subtle differences that remind me often that I am not in America.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan seemed cool but expensive. China seems a bit scary for me, just way too many people. I find SEA just too damn hot,polluted and populated to live there. So Korea, had an interesting geo political situation and place where I could live in asia but still have my creature comforts and repay my debts. Easy choice.

CLG
helly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read "professional stuffed shirts" on this thread and had to say that I take offence to the comment.

OK, not really (just a bit but nothing serious). Just bored. Sorry
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of friends were doin' it in Japan, and I was thinking of that too, then saw a tiny little add in the local paper ...

2mil won
30 hr
free accomodation

... and I was in a classroom within two weeks

What did I know? Absolutely zip ...
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really expected:

More Monkeys (not in the class room, you know running around being ... monkeys)

M*A*S*H* memoribilia everywhere

and

the good old ....

polite, respectful, and eating everything on their plates Asians I was lead to belive that all Asians were by my strict B.E. (British Empire) childhood years .......

PM at 8 years of age:

PM's Mom (Who makes Thatcher look like a .... some one who is not nearly as totalatarian as Thatcher was): Don't talk back and eat you tripe you ungreatful child! Don't you know thier are children starving in China and Korea! And they respect all adult especially their Mothers ...

PM comes to Korea and sees the madness .....

Returns to the colonies: Hit Mom in face with pie and jabs her in the ass with index fingers ......

PM (now a "man"): Learned alot in Asia Mum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sparkx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Karate Kid II for the 27th time, I decided to come to Asia. Instead of working on my teaching skills, I practiced my "Crane and Drum Tecnique" which has served me well in the classroom.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my cucumber would seem larger in Korea.

Seem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: