Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Elisabethjane
What did you end up doing?
Please tell us.
SO often we get the beginning of these stories, sometimes the middle but rarely the end.
Good luck
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still in Newfoundland.
I don't know what to do.
My recruiter says he is working on getting a cheaper ticket and he'll let me know very soon.
I don't know what time period very soon is...
My bags are packed. I'm pretty much just sitting around waiting for a call. It's hard to eat, sleep, or even leave my house....
I've got my heart set on Korea because I've already worked there for a year....and now it feels like my life is there.....you know what I mean?
The only thing that is bothering me is am I tied to this school because my passport is already stamped with the E2? I can't seem to find any decent info on it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Did you try phoning hte korean consulate nearest you. Somebody put up a link to korean immigration did you try looking at that.
Most of the advice here seemed to agree that you should just forget about this school and try for one that is better organised.
Good luck
I found that link for you.
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/index.php
mishlert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you signed the bottom line and have your visa forget about the school.
Look for another school that will come through on all its promises.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my visa....I think....that's the E-2 stamp right? And I sent a signed contract...
So am I legally bound to them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ticket was not sent.
And there have been other "signs"
I have multiple piercings in my ears. At first this was not a problem. Then I get an email telling me that the director decided not to hire me because of them.
So I agree to take them out and everything is ok again....or so I think.
I know that piercings are a big deal in Korea...I was lucky that my old school didn't have a problem with them...and I have no problem taking them out.
It's just the little things adding up.....you know what I mean?
I was supposed to start on the 16th, then the 24th, then the 4th....now, I don't know when......
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. The ticket 'll come eventually and you'll get here and life will be grand. And even if it isn't grand it's not hard to change it. Enjoy your short time on the rock. It's lobster season, isn't it? Damn! I haven't been there for years, and before that for years and years. Anyway, relax.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! Thanks for all the encouragement....I hope everything will be fine.
I'll go eat a lobster and think of you!
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say. . . if you're not one of them townies it's possible that your nan has a bottle of mussels or seal meat tucked away somewhere. . . y'know. . . I haven't had either for a very long time. . .

Enjoy your lobster.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: UPDATE!!! Reply with quote

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Here's an update

My recruiter just wrote and said they are working on getting the ticket and I should be there shortly.
I'll keep you all posted.

And thanks everyone for all your help.
It's great to know that I'm not alone in this.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do about the mussels and seal meat!
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you've already served a year in korea, you at least know what to expect.
As far as i can see, you are indeed bonded to that school now because of the visa. Give it time and all will be Ok. If ultimately they don't come through, they should give you a letter of release, to enable you to take up a different contract...Hang in, it will all iron itself out in time..
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone considered the fact that maybe that plane ticket WAS sent and it got lost or misdirected?

Surely though if the ticket was sent then the school/recruiter would have informed her, and she could go to the airport or contact the company and get a replacement?
I believe airlines are not legally required to offer replacements for lost tickets but they can do it at their discretion.

If there is/was a place booked on a plane for her, and if she had told her recruiter the ticket hadn't arrived, then it would have been up to the recruiter to chase up the school over what happened and then up to the school to pass on confirmation details etc.

It's a strange case...
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
The ticket was NOT sent because they wanted to send it by courier and it would have arrived too late. So they cancelled that booking and are looking for a new one.
Needless to say, I am not starting on Monday...I don't think.
I don't really know when I will be there.....all I can do is wait.
elizabethjane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Now, the director only wants to pay a portion of my ticket and he wants the recruiter and myself to split the rest of the cost....$442.50 each. I refused to do so.

What can happen next?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: