Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British 3 year degree enough for e2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg1973

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: British 3 year degree enough for e2? Reply with quote

Hi, I am a British national. I have been told by a reqruiter that I can't get the work E2 visa without a 4 year degree, or a trascript which at least says I studied for 4 years. Is this the case? My transcript and degree only have the dates I finished my degree. Are there any Brits out there who have had this problem? Or indeed who have not had this problem?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Greg
greg1973

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Answer to my own question Reply with quote

Well, heres my answer to my own question, from EFL law. Those guys are pretty helpful!

July 29th

Dear Greg,

Thank you for your email.

Recently there was a lot of confusion over this issue - it seems that
whilst the UK and Australia and New Zealand have 3-year degrees, the USA
and Canada have 4. For a brief period the three-year degree was rejected
until the embassies told the Korean ministry of Justice that the 3 years
course was identical to the 4.

This now you will find the 3-year university course accepted. But if you
are coming from the UK I imagine you will apply for a contract before you
get here and then apply for the Visa at the Korean Embassy in the UK
nearest to you. Thus before you even leave the UK you wil have received
your work visa.

Hope this helps.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one! That's going "straight to the pool room" (aka Waterbaby's FAQ)
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: British 3 year degree Reply with quote

I'm British and my 3 year degree was good enough for immigration when I went to Korea. So long as you got a degree with honours you will PROBABLY be ok. Also my degree does not state how long my degree course was for, so unless they are being really vigilant they will never know anyway.
greg1973

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: transcripts Reply with quote

hi lost seoul. When you got there, did the imigration also need to look at your transcripts, becasue mine look very dodgy to say the least, even though they are the ones my uni issued me with.

Cheers

Greg
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg - no worries OK - I have a British 3 yr degree - my first 2 years transcripts are crappy - but I flew the final year and got a first.

Anyway - a 3 yr degree is fine for an E2 - and your transcripts of each yrs grades are just proof, not an examination of how good you are.

Best of luck.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: transcripts Reply with quote

greg1973 wrote:
hi lost seoul. When you got there, did the imigration also need to look at your transcripts

Hi Greg,

No, all immigration required from me was my degree certificate. However immigration are allowed to ask for more documentation if they feel it necessary but your degree certificate will probably be good enough for them. If you are planning to get a job and visa organised before going out to Korea you will be required to send your degree to Korea before setting off (your employer will tell you when and what to do). When you do send it, send it via a reliable courier like DHL (link below), do not send it by regular post.

http://www.dhl.co.uk
chocolatechipcharlie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Clarification of UK E2 visa with 3 year degree please? Reply with quote

I have a three year BA degree from the UK, and my recruiter has said they need evidence that this was a four year course. I have replied that the normal length of a degree in England is 3 years, as opposed to 4 years in North America. However, despite researching it I cannot find any formal clarification of this. I have checked on the Korean Embassy (UK) website but see nothing here. Does naybody know of a link which officially states the Korean government's position on this? Thanks for your help.

Korean Embassy UK visa page:

http://www.mofat.go.kr/ee/ee_a003/ee_ukuk/ee_a04/ee_b08/visas.jsp
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clarification of UK E2 visa with 3 year degree please? Reply with quote

chocolatechipcharlie wrote:
I have a three year BA degree from the UK, and my recruiter has said they need evidence that this was a four year course. I have replied that the normal length of a degree in England is 3 years, as opposed to 4 years in North America. However, despite researching it I cannot find any formal clarification of this. I have checked on the Korean Embassy (UK) website but see nothing here. Does naybody know of a link which officially states the Korean government's position on this? Thanks for your help.

Korean Embassy UK visa page:

http://www.mofat.go.kr/ee/ee_a003/ee_ukuk/ee_a04/ee_b08/visas.jsp

Recruiters are id10ts and usually don't know their head from their axx.

Simply tell them that you have a bachelors degree (BA / B.Sc) from a UK university and you will be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: