Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

236,810 won
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: 236,810 won Reply with quote

236,810 won! that is how much money I saved by putting my coins in a jar. It took me 4 months or so to fill a 1.8 litre pickle jar and now I have some extra cash to spend.

I used to do this in canada but could never seem to acquire much money, nor fill the jar as I was always short of cash.

Any ideas on what I should spend it on... not beer
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur. Just shy of 400,000 won is what I usually manage. . .

I taught you the trick, but you still can't beat the champ.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either a new camera for yourself or something nice for your daughter
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Beat 'ya Reply with quote

KC,

Well, I'd say but some space in a Korean newspaper and explain what a child car-seat does....

Or

Buy my beer at the next meeting, and I'll bring flasks of spirits (I've over 2 million won's worth at my flat) for you to swig...

Actually, I'd put that money into savings...why spend it? Better yet, your child's education fund.

Shoosh,

Ryst
makushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get the cash...IE do you have to count it and roll it, or does the bank have a counting machine or what?
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of beer!
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the bank once to have my coins counted and walk away with about 250,000 won, but that was over a two year period. Wow, you really don't like using coins. I think I spent it on beer. It was around three years ago, now I try to use up my coins lying around the house, but I bet I still have enough for a nice Kalbi dinner somewhere.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I come home I dump my change in the jar on top of the refridgerator. During the day I don't spend my coins, if something costs 2,100 won even if I have 100 won I pay 3,000 won and get the change...

most days I only get a few hundred won, but occasionally its upward of 3,00-4,000 won. The key is to never spend any change for any reason. discipline....

I think I might take the wife out for dinner and put the rest in the bank...
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 236,810 won Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:

Any ideas on what I should spend it on... not beer

soju?
sparkx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out my sticky on the new book store in Itaewon (Off Topic Forum)
Nothing better than getting your learn on while helping out a new entrepreneur.
katydid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I save my change too. 40,000 won and counting.
I want to eventually bank this, but I have to consider the high transfer fee both banks slap me with. It makes no sense to send it over now the two banks collectively eat away $20 of my transfer.
What is so great about here is you don't have too much of a hassle with getting it counted. Back home, I remember banks at one point said "we can roll these for you, but we can't count them," something like that. Anyways, it was really inconvenient.
Coinstar back home was good, but liked to take a 7% cut out of your total...
Here, the bank teller might tell you to separate your coins next time you come in, but everytime I have gone in to change my coins to bills, they've always taken their time to help me sort through the coins.
makushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
I save my change too. 40,000 won and counting.
I want to eventually bank this, but I have to consider the high transfer fee both banks slap me with. It makes no sense to send it over now the two banks collectively eat away $20 of my transfer.
What is so great about here is you don't have too much of a hassle with getting it counted. Back home, I remember banks at one point said "we can roll these for you, but we can't count them," something like that. Anyways, it was really inconvenient.
Coinstar back home was good, but liked to take a 7% cut out of your total...
Here, the bank teller might tell you to separate your coins next time you come in, but everytime I have gone in to change my coins to bills, they've always taken their time to help me sort through the coins.

So you are saying that if I just seperate them, the bank staff will count them?

If so, that's totally cool! Cool
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. They'll count them for you!

Kimcheeking! We save our change for a vacation. Right now we're saving for Thailand for December 2004...I know, long time from now, but just think of how much can be collected in 18 months!

I've been saving my change in Korea for 2 years. The first year I used it for buying Christmas gifts. Second year it was for our honeymoon (over 700,000 in 6 months). This time it's for a kick-butt trip to Thailand all for "free." It does kinda feel like free money, doesn't it?

How about going with the wife to Cheju-do on one of those package deals? Or, you could save for a couple more months and go over Christmas. Let us know what you end up doing

justagirl
katydid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justagirl beat me to it, but yeah, that is all you have to do. And like I said earlier, they will not pitch a fit if you don't separate them, but it's what they like to see. Smile
makushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
Justagirl beat me to it, but yeah, that is all you have to do. And like I said earlier, they will not pitch a fit if you don't separate them, but it's what they like to see. Smile

Thanks! I am so psyched now...tonight I am gonna drink soju and seperate my coins. Then I'm going to cash them in on Monday and buy me a super sleek digital camera.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: