Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let the protesting begin!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kim jong il

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uckles, as has already been noted several times, the SOFA between the US and south korea is almost identical to the the SOFAs that exist between the US, germany and japan. south korea does not give jurisdiction over its on-duty troops to the host countries (i.e. kryzgzstan). and i believe you are implying that the american court martial was somehow "unfair", but do you believe that a korean court could have given a "fairer" trial? does "fair", in the korean mind, mean that the two GIs had to be convicted? i don't think that the GIs should have ever been court martialed in the first place. it was a symbolic attempt to show sympathy towards koreans that badly backfired.

Last edited by kim jong il on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: ATTN: Uckles..... Reply with quote

Let me share something with you; korea has its military in other countries also and for your information AND THIS IS FACT: the korean government has the SAME SOFA with these other countries that the U.S. has with korea!!!!!! If a korean soldier kills another non korea while on active duty in another country, the korean military has first crack at it! Do you get it? SAME SOFA status! In Germany, Italy, France, etc. where the U.S. is, when something happens, these people DO NOT violently demonstrate! It is resolved through peaceful means. That's a FACT! The korean minister of defense stated a few months ago that "it is not right that the korean people protest violently when we, koreans have the same SOFA with other countries where our troops are stationed as the U.S. has with korea." Many koreans are just two faced and you can BET that hundreds of thousands of foreigners agree with that.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uckles, I hate state what has already been said here, but the Status of Forces Agreements in Germany and Japan clearly state that US soldiers, depedents and civilian workers are covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. It simply has to be that way. Places like Korea would love to have a show trial of a GI to show they are boss.

Korea wants to treat USFK like a junkyard dog; it is a love-hate relationship. While they want USFK to protect them, they want to be able to beat that old dog when they feel like it. The USA, rightly or wrongly, is not going to allow that.

The driver of the truck will be dealt with my UCMJ. According to the Times he ran a red light. It is then clearly a case of Criminal Negligence. I doubt, however, anybody will try the guy. I Canada, he certainly would. In my hometown of Victoria a similar case recenlty led to the charge and conviction of a truck driver in a similar incident.

Canadian Teacher
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: well Reply with quote

uckles wrote:
I'm Korean-American, so this is a tough issue. But here's the difference. Yes, the Korean driver will likely be acquitted and yes, the accident is not going to register on the radar of 99% of Koreans. But the Korean driver will be acquitted by the KOREAN Justice system. The reason Koreans are angry with the American soldiers is because they were acquitted by a United States Military Court. In Germany and Japan, where there is or has been U.S. military presence, each nation has been given full jurisdiction over the American soldiers. And that's what the Koreans want as well. The accident happened on Korean land, to Korean girls, and just because the drivers happen to be soldiers from America, the Koreans aren't even allowed to take them to trial? It feels to many Koreans like the U.S. government is tucking their own under their wing, and so I can understand the resentment. The protests are not only for the lost girls--they are also calling for a change in jurisdiction laws.

So don't assume that there is a double standard. The situations, while similar on the surface, are drastically different.

Korean-American, I have a word for you. What is your judicial system like, in terms of overall competency rating, compared to those you mentioned? Try 50%! That means, it is still a long way from what other 'developed countries' consider a sound judicial system. Sorry.

That's why SOFA will not allow their men to be tried under Korean law. First Korea has to get their legal system together. Then they'll talk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: