Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excess Baggage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Excess Baggage Reply with quote

anyone have any idea what I'm up for if I take too much luggage home (ball park). Any tips for the best way to get all my crap back to Australia?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a lot of stuff through snail mail - boxes of up to 20kg were around 80,000 to send via boat - took about 3 months for the stuff to arrive. Also, try calling your airline and asking them if you can have more baggage allowance. I did that with Thai Airways once and they gave my husband and I an extra 10kg each. I'm not sure what the excess baggage costs are flying from Korea to Australia but I know it's hugely expensive flying Aust to Korea - I have to pay about $350 excess for 15 kilos... just ring your airline and ask them directly.
mrroboto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just use the local postal office or some special shipping company?
I'm thinking of sending a bunch of crap home.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used Korea Post... everything arrived in ship shape condition. I may have been lucky Question

If you do go this route, make sure you buy the boxes from the post office - don't use any old box. They only cost about 800 won. I read in another thread that a fellow Aussie send things in an ex-fruit box and it was disallowed by customs.
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the excess baggage fee is around 3-5% of the AIRLINE price, not the travel agent price. so you would have to fone the airline anyway to find out the airline price so like waterbaby says, maybe just give them a call.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or DON'T do what i did... put all your heavy things into a large carry on bag (like 20 kgs!!) and then pretend it's light while running all the way to your departure gate to make the flight.

i got away with double the luggage limit but would never do it again, my shoulder is still sore!!

GFM
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much stuff do you have???
Generally the airline rate is around $20US a kilogram over the baggage limit. The baggage limit to Australia is 20kg on most flights and I think 23kg on Korean Airlines. They'll usually give you 5kg over this before they start to charge.
Don't know if you have any frequent flier points on the airline you're flying on. Sometimes you can trade points for extra baggage. Check www.asiamiles.com or www.staralliance.com. These may have some info on this.
It also depends on when you're flying. If it's peak season the limits will be enforced big time so as to avoid overloaded planes dropping from the sky. If the plane is largely empty they'll probably cut you some slack. I know people who've checked 90kg on with no extra charges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: