Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Living in Korea Reply with quote

Mother Commits Suicide After Killing Children

A 37-year-old woman committed suicide Thursday and her two children were also found dead at the family home in Ulsan, police said.

The woman, identified by her surname Oh, was discovered in a flowerbed at the ground level of her apartment building at around 10 p.m., police said.

The bodies of her 14-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter were found in separate rooms of the 13th-floor apartment. The police will conduct autopsies to determine their cause of death.

Oh is thought to have taken her life as she recently found out that her husband, identified by the surname Chang, lost 170 million won ($140,000) in stock trading.

"After she found out that I lost 170 million won and have a lot of debts, she often said, 'Let�s just die together.' I just went out to have a drink with my friends after having a fight with my wife the other night, and such a thing happened," Chang was quoted as saying.

This is just the latest domestic tragedy to erupt due to financial difficulties, where children have suffer the greatest consequence at their parents� hands.

On Tuesday, a couple from Chonju, North Cholla Province, committed suicide on Tuesday after killing their two daughters, aged five and six.

"I am taking my daughters because I can't leave them by themselves,�" the 33-year-old father, identified by his surname Lee, wrote in a suicide note.

Lee was known to have embezzled 30 million won from a previous job and had been under pressure to repay the money by the former employer, according to police.

On July 17, a financially-stricken 34-year-old woman, identified by her surname Son, jumped to her death with her three children from a high-rise apartment building in Inchon.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200308/kt2003080118514412020.htm
JackSarang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a far more common occurence than is reported in english media.

A housewife in the same apartment building as my girlfriend's parents through herself off their balcony because she couldn't handle the stresses of her husband and kids any longer.

Apparently stories like this occur frequently in the Korean press.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visited Hong Kong the thing that struck me most was that the average apartment tower was over 60 stories high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: