Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Am I eligible for an F-4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Am I eligible for an F-4? Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been discussed before. I've been searching the threads but can't see something that states what you need to do to get an f4. I don't know if I'm eligible either. My parents were born in Korea and are now Canadian citizens. I was born and raised in Canada.

I've been speaking with the consulate but they keep telling me different things. Now I'm confused.

Any help is appreciated.
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaargh, don't get me started with diplomats. Useless wankerz.

To answer your question, yes, you are eligible for the F-4. I highly recommend coming to Korea on a tourist visa, then going to the Seoul Immigration Office to report yourself as an "Overseas Korean." They're used to it (the F4 is one of the only visas that can be processed in-country) and its generally hassle free. Try to bring copies of your parents' passports, ex-passports, birth certs (and the same set for you), etc - basically anything that'll help establish your Korean "roots."

Armed with that info, you'll be able to go the dong-office and get original copies of the family register, etc. (there's one right next to the immigration office where I got all the stuff I needed).

I walked out with visa in hand after 2 hours.
Seoul Skye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:33 pm    Post subject: F-4 Application Required Docs Reply with quote

The following is a guide as to what is required to apply for an F-4 visa

You will be required to leave their passport with Immigration for 10-14 days. Upon approval you will receive your F-4 visa card.

The following is a list of the necessary documents/items:

- application for Visa
- passport
- two copies of passport
- a copy of your family register (published within 3 months)
- two passport size photos (3cm X 4cm)
- two copies of certificate of citizenship
- fee: KW 60,000 won
- If name on passport & register differ, substantiating documents identifying applicant as the same person
- If the applicant is a male between the ages of 18 - 35, he must provide proof that he has given up his Korean citizenship.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Now I've been speaking with the school and they're telling me it'll be easier to do once I'm in Korea.

I've been told that I"ll be unable to denounce my citizenship now because I am over 18. Well, not citizenship exactly but the fact that my name is on the registry.

Ouch, my head still hurts. I will sort this out!

Thanks for the help Seoultrader and Seoul Skye, I appreciate it!

Cheers
JackSarang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you Male? That part about them not allowing you to denouce citizenship could be a problem.

Because if they view you as Korean national and you return to Korea, they could force you into the Military to serve your term.
l'il kim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criteria for processing the F4 seem to be as capricious as any diva's, but there are a couple things that are constant. Number one: it's faster to get the visa processed in Canada. Once you've gathered all the necessary documents (including the all-important long-form birth certificate), you get the F4 stamp in your passport the very next day. Number two: just having your name on the hojok dongboon does not confer upon you Korean citizenship. Finally: your parents must have renounced their Korean nationality by the time of your birth. I know of a Korean-American who initially got the F4, but then had it revoked because the immigration office in Seoul, upon closer inspection, noticed the discrepancy between his father's date of naturalization and the son's birth. If your father was a naturalized Canadian by the time you were born, then you should be OK.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Naturalization Reply with quote

I'm female so the military service thing doesn't apply to me. I guess my brother will have problems if he wants to do this one day.

I believe that my father and mother were both naturalized at the time of my birth. They'd already been living in Canada for about 3-4 years at this time. I'm pretty sure they had citizenship by then.

Thanks again for the help. It's confusing isn't it?

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: