Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American with ethnic name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: American with ethnic name? Reply with quote

I am an American who has lived in the U.S. essentially my whole life as well as being educated in the U.S. I have a B.A. degree. I however, have a very ethnic or "nonamerican" name. I am for the lack of a better term "white" and thus look like the stereotypical westerner. Will the fact that I have a non anglo name present difficulties in finding work teaching english in korea.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They don't care about your name. If in the photo you (must) send to all prospective employers you look caucasian and hold an American/Canadian/Australian/New Zealand passport you'll be fine.

The white face is primary, everything else such as credentials is secondary.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all mfh - simply as you need to add a pic on your resume to even get an offer in SoKo. Good luck.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: It's the LOOK Reply with quote

The other posters are right...it's how you look.They could give "diddly squat" about your name.For instance,if your name happens to be Polish or whatever(but you are blonde and look like what they think a "typical"American looks like)...well,they could care less what your name is.Well,you do not HAVE to be blonde,but it is certainly no disadvantage if you are...
Lots of people refer to this as the Ken and Barbie Syndrome.That is not a personal knock against you. But don't worry about your name..You may very well have other things to worry about....especially if you go to work for a hakwon...
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a blond haired blue eyed Enriquebert Pappadopalametrieiu actually has an advantage over a dark haired brown eyed John Smith.
I don't have any idea what a Non-Korean name is for Korean people. So I don't necessarily know how much Koreans would know what standard American names are. Maybe I'm wrong. Of course if your name's Osama Bin Laden.... Smile
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="camel96"]Yeah a blond haired blue eyed Enriquebert Pappadopalametrieiu actually has an advantage over a dark haired brown eyed John Smith.quote]

It's not quite THAT bad. Okay, a white person rather than a black person is going to be a hakwon director's probable choice but merely having blond over dark hair...no.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I had to hire another teacher and the director actually weeded out people's photographs based on whether or not they had blue eyes.
Seriously!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Yeah,I DO Not Doubt That,Camel Reply with quote

Yeah.Seriously.What you said is completely believable.Of course,it is always possible to bleach one's hair(I actually know people who have done that...they have had good "results") and you could probably wear blue contacts or something.It is all very superficial...at least at the hakwon level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: