Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for divers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Any of you know if there are any spots halfway worth while around Ulsan or between Ulsan and Busan or if any of the guys at the scuba stores around town can speak english. I would like to go scuba diving but dont' think i will be making it to Cheju-do anytime soon.
thanks
diver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Try these links for a dive shop in your area. You'll have to phone the shops that are listed to find ones that offer service in English.

PADI
http://www.padi.com/english/common/search/dcnr/search.asp?Country=SKOR&City=&Name=&Submit2=Submit

NAUI
http://www.naui.org/index-side.html

*** Find "Shop Locator" on left side menu.***

Diver
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you divers make it to Jeju, there is a PADI dive shop near the boat harbor, about a 5 minute walk from the immigration office. It is the only native english speaking shop on Jeju. I can't remember the owners name, but he's an American from Hawaii and a retired U.S. Military Officer. Most of his customers are foreigners meaning Japanese, Americans and Canadians. The shop is called "Dive Station." His rates were the best we have found in Korea and good service. And on the other side of the Island is another shop owned by a German man; Big Blue 33. His English is not that great which is why most of the English speaking divers I know of, don't use him. But, if you want a German speaking instructor.... We went to his shop, friendly, etc. but we wanted no problems in communicating especially when diving which is why we didn't dive with him. But, two foreign owned shops is a start.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want a bunch of divers, just put a game of soccer on the telly.

HTH
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

lol I agree with the man.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
If you divers make it to Jeju, there is a PADI dive shop near the boat harbor, about a 5 minute walk from the immigration office. It is the only native english speaking shop on Jeju. Most of his customers are foreigners.

I agree with that statement.

Anyone with knowledge of a Busan shop should say so - I'm back in SoKo in 3 weeks - PM me if you know anything.
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sqauffy. A lot of garbage has been said on this post about diving. Edited by Mr. Kalgukshi 08-11-03 A thoroughly amateurish outfit. Next time I will do it alone.
diver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Diving in Korea Reply with quote

Diving on Jeju...

"Hellofaniceguy" mentioned "Dive Station" on Jeju. It is co-owned by an American named Ben Mailinski. I haven't had a chance to dive with them yet, but I have spoken to Ben several times and he seems pretty switched on. I wouldn't be nervous about sending people there.

I don't agree with "Hellofaniceguy"'s assessment of Big Blue and Ralf. Ralf is German, but his English is better than some of the teachers I have met here...probably even mine...I'm going with Big Blue again in August I was so happy with his service.

"Gwangjuboy"...I don't remember taking anyone from the Gwangju area on our shark dives, but tht doesn't mean I can't be mistaken. Feel free to PM me and tell me your concerns/complaints re: the dive you did and maybe we can correct them, and/or try to get you in again in the future to make up for it.

As far as our dives being "amateurish"...Well, you're right. It's not my job. I am an English teacher. I am also a dive instructor and I am on-hand for the people that aren't certified divers. My role is to put non-divers through a dive-intro so that they can do the dive. I don't work for the aquarium. I do it for free dives and because I like it. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but many others have had a great time (they have posted words to that effect on this site) and more than a few have come back for repeat dives. So, I guess we are doing something right. Sorry you didn't like it, but as I said, feel free to PM me, or e-mail my through our site and tell me what you didn't like and we'll try to fix it.

As far as "garbage" about diving on this site. I don't think there has been a lot of garbage. I think that I and a few others have contributed quite a bit of info for divers in Korea. I disagree with some, and agree with others. I try to be fair and honest in my assessment of diving here in Korea, and I haven't tried to personally attack anyone, nor threaten to "ruin" anyone's business.

I have refrained from mentionimg the name of my site in most of my recent posts in order to avoid accusations of "advertising" on this site. Anyway, to each his own. Hope this helps some of you out there, and doesn't infuriate the others.

Diver
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Hellofaniceguy" mentioned "Dive Station" on Jeju. It is co-owned by an American named Ben Mailinski. I haven't had a chance to dive with them yet, but I have spoken to Ben several times and he seems pretty switched on. I wouldn't be nervous about sending people there.

I dove with Ben- a very nice guy. He used to be a regular on the old-format board. Thought he had posted a while back that he had left Cheju....
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you are going to talk about diving then you should do it in the context of great scenery. The more experienced amoungst us have probably been to some stunning places already. My best dive was in the Scilly isles (UK). There was a plethora of shipwrecks to examine. A world class diving venue. Edited by Mr. Kalgukshi 08-11-03 Good luck with your enterprise but I don't think that it is viable. If I knew that there were many really good English speaking divers in Korea then I would organise a get together myself. Just to sum up, if you are going to do a job do it right! I am afraid that your lot just don't.
diver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy,

It's too bad you feel that way. I am beginning to feel that you have never dove with us, and are trolling here. We (Scuba In Korea) have not yet arranged any ocean diving trips in Korea (I am on holidays in Canada and don't have the time). So, I don't know who you went diving with, but it wasn't us. The only trips we offer are the shark diving trips right now. They are indeed geared for beginners, but I have had several experienced divers come along and they loved it. I know that they did because they came ack for second and third trips. I don't recall anyone from Gwangju ever being on one of our shark dives, but if you were, then once again I ask you to PM me, or e-mail me at [email protected] with a specific complaint and/or suggestions how to improve our service.

I want to reiterate, that at this point we are NOT a business. Scuba In Korea is trying to provide info for divers in Korea so that they may get wet while they are here. Is the diving in Korea good? It depends what you like. You like wrecks, so you won't find much of that here. If you like soft corals and macro photography (nudibranches, sea squirts etc) you will love Jeju. If you love deep dives with interesting bottom topography (caves, canyons, swim-throughs) then the south sea would be a great place to dive. I have even had good dives in the west sea which typically has poor visibility.

I started the thread to find divers who wanted to share info on diving in Korea. I too have been to world class spots. I too am very experienced (there are probably few foreign divers here more experienced than I...not bragging, just my opninion as I have not met many of them yet).

I have the following certifications:

PADI
Divemaster
Open water scuba instructor
Enriched air (Nitrox) instructor
Oxygen provider instructor
Emergency first response instructor

DAN
Oxygen provider instructor

I have met the criteria for, and will apply soon for: Deep diving specialty instructor, night diving specialty instructor, drift diving specilaty instructor certifications

I provide the info to show that I am qualified (probably more so than you, Gwangjuboy) and experienced, and I still enjoy diving in Korea. So do the other instructors I know (most of whom are more qualified and experienced than I). The point is, it doesn't matter what your experience level is. This is not a biggest **** contest. I LOVE diving the Philippines...but you know what? I can't make it there this weekend. So I guess it will be Korea. There ARE good places to go. There are shops (we are not a shop) with English service. Some people have been great and have e-mailed me with info on where to go. I put it up on www.scubainkorea.com so that others may enjoy diving when they can't get to Sicily. You have done none of the above Gwangjuboy. You have attacked us. You have spouted off about what a great diver you are...for no other reason I guess than to make others think you are a great diver. You haven't shared any useful info with anyone. If you were such a great diver, you would be out looking for places to dive in Korea. But you are not. You make vague attacks against our web-site and/or service...I don't think I have ever met you. Korea has a lot to offer divers...Just because it isn't your favorite kind of diving doesn't mean it sucks. In fact, most experienced divers I know love diving. They will dive anywhere, and find something good to say about every dive.

Anyway, the offer stands...If anyone would like info on diving in Korea, check out our site at www.scubainkorea.com. We are not a business (though we have some trips you will have to pay for). If you have any info to share with us I would appreciate it and I will get it up on the site as soon as possible. Or e-mail me at [email protected]

Michael
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish! I can't believe that you responded with such a long winded post. Maybe I touched a nerve here. And since when have Sicily and the Scilly isles been the same place? If you were such a professional then I am sure that you would know that the former is an Italian island, while the latter are a small number of islets of the Cornish coast in England.

I might concede that I have not actually been on a dive with your lot. I went on a dive to Hong do island about 5 months ago. Could this have been with your bunch? The references to Joella Namdo made me believe that I did this with your lot. Anyway, if not then I apologise for the mistake. But I fail to understand why you attacked my diving ability and considered yourself a better diver than me especially considering that you are adamant that I haver dived with you.
diver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy,

First of all...Yes, I screwed up Scilly vs. Sicily. Sometimes the signal gets a little scrambled between my brain and fingers when I type. It is better, however, than confusing France with, say, Burkina Faso. Besides, typing skill and/or geographical knowledge have no relation to knowledge/experience/professionalism when diving.

I love the way you dismiss my whole post as rubbish. Which part struck you as the most "rubbishy"?

"Touch a nerve"? Well, yes, you did touch a nerve. Lets see...You post in a public forum that a service that my partners and I try to provide for people is "rubbish", "unprofessional" etc... So, you attack me, then you admit, in the middle of your post, that you were mistaken and have never conducted any diving business with us. I probably would have apologized, at the very top of my post, but that is just me.

I never attacked your diving skill personally. I only stated that in MY (not anyone else's) experience, that those that don't like poor vis or dark conditions are generally beginners/inexperienced/poor divers because they can't handle the more arduous conditions. This may or may not be the case with you. I couldn't say for sure because I haven't dove with you.

Finally, while Dr. Busk, Bulsajo and others have tried to add some useful info (again, I agree with some, disagree with others, but respect all constructive posts) you have made sweeping/vague accusations against "Scuba In Korea" in a public forum. You have never dove with us. You have not added anything really useful to the discussion. All you have stated (at least it seems like it to me) is that you are too good to dive in Korea, and that only beginners would enjoy diving here. That is simply not the case.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your dive trip. If you had taken me up on my invitation to PM me, or to e-mail me at [email protected] with your specific complaints re: your dive trip we could have avoided all of this. I will go even further, I DO appreciate your admitting that your bad experience WAS NOT WITH US, and would be glad to publish on my page the name of the dive outfit you did go with and had such a bad time with. I could let other divers know to avoid them. There are good dive operations here. A dive business IS viable in Korea, and the proof of that is that a lot of people do it. A dive business for foreigners is viable. The proof of that is that at least two foreigners have shops, caterring to foreigners, here. You are right when you say there are bad shops as well. So, once again, PM me, or e-mail me, with specific details, the name and location of the shop, and I will warn other divers to stay away from the shop.

The whole spirit of my original post (and the web-site www.scubainkorea.com) was to provide info for divers. The end. This thread was not to see who was the best diver, who has the most dives, or who has been where. It was to share constructive info. "Korea is not as good as the Scilly Isles, so Korean diving sucks" is not constructive. I don't think diving in Korea is as good as the Philippines, but I still enjoy diving here very much.

If you knew there were good/experienced divers in Korea you would organize something yourself.

Well, I am an instructor and very experienced. I know at least 5 other foreign divers certified as instructors, I know of at least three divemasters and quite a few more very experienced recreational divers certified as advanced or higher that want to go diving. "Squaffy" has let everyone know he is a great diver. The divers you are looking for are here Gwangjuboy. If you would like, visit the message board on our site (www.scubainkorea.com) and post a message saying that you are an experienced diver, seeking same, to set up a group dive trip to somewhere in Korea. East coast and Jeju are probably best for you, but the south coast can have some interesting diving as well. I know Ralf at Big Blue and Ben at Dive Station...maybe I could help you set it up.

Let me know,

Michael (aka Diver)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: