Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving from Phuket to ROK - am I nuts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Moving from Phuket to ROK - am I nuts? Reply with quote

I have been living and working in Phuket for about a year and a half. I work 6 days a week in an office and have decided that since I am in an office most of the time life would be more interesting in a city. So barring any last minute changes I am off to Suwon to teach in a couple of weeks. I have lived in Korea before and am actually excited about exchanging my daily rides to work along the coast for a subway ride in a bustling environment.
But as my potential departure looms and I see these waxing nostalgic posts on Thailand I am starting to question my decision. I have a 2 bedroom house with a buffalo paddy behind my house amd am a 2 minute drive to the beach. Sure I only make about 1.2 KRW a month but it's relative.
Please tell me there are those who are happy living in an exciting urban environment rather than a toursity beach atmosphere. I am afraid I might be suffering from boredom and having a grass is greener episode.
makushi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you nuts?
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll trade you jobs in a heartbeat.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you nuts to leave Thailand for korea?!?! If you need advice on that, then you are nuts! Thailand has korea beat in about 99% of everything! The only area where korea is better is in the economy. Thai's have people skills, manners, social skills, just to mention a few. Stay in Thailand!
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the change to a big-city atmosphere was what you're looking for, you're much better off moving to Seoul proper than sticking yourself out in Suwon. Also I don't know what your thoughts are reagarding weather, but remember that in about six months you'll be able to see your family jewels if you open your mouth wide enough, and the beach is going to start looking real good.

That said, the chicks are hotter in Korea. That's all that really matters, isn't it?
makushi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FierceInvalid wrote:

That said, the chicks are hotter in Korea. That's all that really matters, isn't it?

Pretty much...
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've lived here before, so you know what to expect. I think maybe the fcat that you're posting the question in itself reveals some serious doubt you have about returning.

Follow your instincts.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doubts only started as I made a tentative flight booking. Now I am thinking I might just be remembering the good in Korea. But I am bored in Thailand. I can look outside and see the palm tress and sunshine, but I am inside. Being in a beach town but working in an office all the time is like going camping in the rain. If you work all day in Korea at least you can go wander around neighbourhoods, stores, whatever a big city can offer.
Of course maybe Suwon is a dump, I really don't know, but figured it was close enough to Seoul.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
My doubts only started as I made a tentative flight booking. Now I am thinking I might just be remembering the good in Korea. But I am bored in Thailand. I can look outside and see the palm tress and sunshine, but I am inside. Being in a beach town but working in an office all the time is like going camping in the rain. If you work all day in Korea at least you can go wander around neighbourhoods, stores, whatever a big city can offer.
Of course maybe Suwon is a dump, I really don't know, but figured it was close enough to Seoul.

You'll regret it, especially if you move to Suwon. Suwon is not "close enough" to Seoul. Suwon is a soulless toilet. You'd be alright if you found a nice position actually in Seoul... but moving from Phuket to Suwon is insanity.

Also, you make 45,000 baht a month? Thats riches on Phuket...

Sounds like you need a simple vacation to get it out of your system.. not a drastic move.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45 000 TB is good in Phuket. But I pay 10 000TB for rent and 3000TB for motorbike. My girlfriend works roping in tourists to come on a time share presentation - can be good $ but this low season has been beyond bad so I'm paying for 2. So money is a consideration.

As for Suwon I knew it wouldn't be Seoul, but souless toilet is a little less than I had hoped for. Funny, the school director described it somewhat differently, what gives?

Well, I lived in JeonJu before, it's gotta be more happening than that!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my agreement with you being nuts, Suwon isn't quite a soul-less toilet, though it isn't nearly as foreigner-friendly as happy little Seoul-land. If you're close to Aju University, it has a mellow college atmosphere. It's nothing like Hongdae at all, but it does have its fair share of secret little cubbyholes and shops. There's also a couple of available Western restaurants(Bennigan's and Outback), if you know where to go.
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, phuket, go if you wanna go, stay if you wanna stay.
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a job offer going in the opposite direction - from Suwon (or close to it) to Thailand (near Samui) - but it's for heaps less than 45K baht. I'm having second thoughts as well, which is equally as nuts as you coming back here, maybe.

I'd love an office job in Phuket - your company looking for someone with skills and experience to replace you?

Seriously.

Also, Suwon really is pretty cruddy. If I stay in Korea, I'm moving to Gangnam or someplace like that. Two years in Gunpo city is two years too long.

Last edited by BTM on Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't belive that anyone would have negative things to say about Thai women anyway. Someone said that they are not as pretty as Korean women. Absolute crap. Thai women are friendly, warm, and beautiful. (Of course you get your rotten apples everywhere.) Korean women are generally unfriendly, arrogant, rude, and bloody annoying. Korean women can take their stupid puppies, fake laughs
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Thai women Reply with quote

I lived in rural Hawaii for three months once, and actually got a little bored. The weather was perfect every day, and there were no problems... but it was still a small town, and there was nothing to do on Saturday night.

I would try Suwon for a change for the better wage, but I certainly wouldn't burn bridges with my employer in Phuket. I might (just might) want to go back later on.

Ken:>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: