Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Verbal promise equals what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Verbal promise equals what? Reply with quote

I saw the department head and dean today. We talked briefly. They said they hoped I will stay on next year. They are satisfied with my work. They plan to renew my contract.

Does this mean I should not worry about looking for another university position? Would you relax or try to find a new position?
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Means nothing. Come on, Koreans are famous for saying one thing with a pleasant smile then doing the exact opposite.

Its not final until you've re-signed and even then they could change their mind on a whim.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Yeah.Jack is Right Reply with quote

He is correct.I would not relax too much,if I were you.That does not mean you have to panic.But I suggest you have at least one option in mind,just in case.He is absolutely right about them saying one thing and maybe doing another.Oftentimes,they will try to explain this discrepancy away as a "misunderstanding"...or "cultural difference".SOMETIMES it may be that...but oftimes it is just a lie,pure and simple.They have many fine attributes, in my opinion.However,they can lie just like any other people can lie.
Real Reality

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no misunderstanding.
The dean said,
"If you decide to stay, then we will renew your contract. You are an excellent teacher. The students like your teaching."
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much. prepare somewhat, but you will most likely be fine.
rachel phillips

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A verbal promise depends on the honesty of the person who makes it. You know your department head and dean better than I do; what do *you* think of their honesty up until now?
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you decide to stay, then we will renew your contract. You are an excellent teacher. The students like your teaching."

Depends entirely on who holds the reins of power, I found out recently. This is precisely what I was told, but I was told it by people who (I didn't actually realize at the time) did not have final decision-making power at the university. I was unceremoniously dumped for someone cheaper and more Christian, apparently at the behest of the president, who's best pals with someone in whose best budgetary interests it was to get rid of me.

If the person who told you this has final say, you're golden, probably. Otherwise, who knows.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Korean bosses and their promises.

My favorite was, "I'll get you the rest of your pay next week." Followed by, "Your pay will be one week late." And, "I'll get you the money I owe you before you leave Korea." And I didnt realize how funny, "I'll send you to Japan to get your work visa as soon as possible." was until my rage died down and I had time to think about it.

Yeah, Korean boss promises. As valuable as the wind they float on.
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A verbal promise is worth the paper it's printed on.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Korea, it amounts to the same as toilet paper.
SeoulShaun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see the contract offer then you can almost say its as good as there, but as the warnings have gone................oral is a good start but if you don't protect yourself then who knows what may happen.
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulShaun wrote:
oral is a good start but if you don't protect yourself then who knows what may happen.

As is the case in other situations.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes it works out well. My boss (without promting) tells me I'm working a lot of hours (I'm only teaching 22 but have splits from hell) and says she will give 100,000won extra a month totally unprompted. Next payday I'm up 100,000won.

CLG
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Never a Sure Thing Reply with quote

The other posters gave good advice and made good comments.The original poster has the best chance of really knowing whether the boss can be trusted.Well,at least,the original poster has more of an idea than the rest of us.Generally speaking,though,the other posters have very good points.Just because a supervisor here tells you that you "are excellent,blah,blah" one day may not mean diddly by tomorrow.They have been known to spread the old BS on pretty thick...also known as LYING.
I hope this is not the case here,and the boss was sincere and the original poster gets re-signed. I would suggest the original poster have at least one option in mind,though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: