Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spouse Visa�with a twist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgriffon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Spouse Visa�with a twist Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a US citizen who will be applying shortly for an E2 visa to teach English in Korea. My question concerns my wife, who is Czech. Does anyone have experience obtaining a spouse visa and know whether it is legal to work in Korea with this visa?
I have read a few posts concerning this issue and it seems very possible to obtain a spouse visa, but I wonder if anybody has had experience in bringing over a spouse who was not a US citizen or at least a native English speaker?
Of course we will be contacting the Korean embassy in Prague, but I would like to hear an opinion or experience from the other side.
Thanks for your help.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if you haven't already... check out these threads...

Can my wife/husband get a visa too?

1. Bringing my Wife With me
2. Does my Wife Have to go on a Visa Run?
3. Visa for Non-Teaching American Spouse

If your wife is Czech and not a native English speaker, she will not be able to work legally in Korea as an English Teacher. If your wife has a spouse visa, she will not be able to do any legal to work in Korea unless she changes from an F3 Dependent visa to the visa appropriate for her profession.

Here is some info from the Korean Immigration Website pertinent to your wife (and then click on F3 (Dependent Families).
Quote:
F-3(Dependent Families)

::: A. The Object of Visa Issuance :::

F-3 status may be granted to individuals who meet the following requirements :
(a) A spouse of a person who applies to one of D-1 status through E-7 status ;
(b) Children underage and unmarried of the person described in the above (a).

* However, individuals who are involved in D-3 status are excluded from this visa.

::: B. Application and Required Documents :::

(1) Traditional Procedures

A foreigner shall make an application for a visa to a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad and required documents are as follows:

◎ Passport
◎ Application for VISA ( PDF )
◎ Others
- Substantiating documents for the relationship of families (e.g.: marriage certificate, birth certificate or Korean family tree register)
- Certificate of inviter's employment and tax payment

※If necessary, the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad may ask an applicant to submit more documents than required.

(2) The Procedures in which a Certificate for Recognition of Visa Issuance is involved

◎ A certificate for recognition of visa issuance is issued to a person concerned in Korea(proxy) on the grounds of his application by the chief of a district or branch office. (Uijeongbu, Ulsan, Donghae)

◎ A person concerned in Korea(proxy) sends the issued certificate by the chief of immigration office to the applicant abroad.

◎ An applicant(foreigner) applies for a visa to a Korean Embassy or Consulate with the above certificate, passport and application form.

◎ Required documents by a person concerned in Korea(proxy) are the same as those of traditional procedures. If necessary, the chief of a district or branch office may ask a proxy to submit more documents than required

◎ Application for Confirmation of VISA Issuance ( PDF )

*An applicant may ask to issue a certain visa which is not mandated to the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad. However, in this case, the chief of a Korean Embassy or Consulate abroad shall get prior approval from the Minister of Justice in advance.
mgriffon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Thanks for the quick reply Reply with quote

I waded through the Korean Immigration site last week and have read the 3 threads above.
I am hoping there might be that person out there (but on this board) who has gone through a similar situation and could offer some insight.
Otherwise, I guess the trick to the work visa for my wife is finding a job in her field and the company sponsoring her for a work visa.
Shame she can't teach English. Her grammar is better than mine! Very Happy
Thanks again for your help.
Row

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: f3 Reply with quote

hi there, my husband has an f3 visa, and he is moroccan. I don't think the spouse's nationality is a deciding factor for granting the visa, since they are not allowed to work with it anyway. Its easy enough to apply for, but i think you need your alien registration card first, then you do her stuff. Either she can come into korea on a tourist visa, if possible, or she waits until you have your documents, and you send her everything she needs to get the visa overseas.

Good luck, Rowan
mgriffon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Smile Thanks!
mary_73

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is also here on and F3 visa. We just completed the process last month. He came here on a tourist visa, but applied here for his F3. No real problem except they almost didn't let him in with a tourist visa (he's not from Canada or any other English speaking country). I had to call the immigration office at the airport and convince them that he was on the up-and-up. If you are arriving together, this will obviously not be a problem. It's illegal to work here while on an F3 visa. If I can answer any questions for you just pm me.

Hope everything works out for you,

mary_73
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: