Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Watch TV just like back home (or die trying)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Watch TV just like back home (or die trying) Reply with quote

removed by OP

Last edited by mindmetoo on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
plattwaz

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Bundang lost AFN we decided to get SKYLife put in, but according to the school secretary who called for us, they will not give it to foreigners -- you need to have it put under a Korean registration number. ie/ your (foreigner) ARC number is not good enough.

The box costs about 100,000 and then your monthly fees on top of that.

Perhaps others have had a different experience, I wouldn't be surprised. It could even be that it is a new thing.

But regardless, this is what we were told. And the secretary had no reason whatsoever to lie to us....
mishlert

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Skylife and never had any problems.
I was asked for my ARC, and my installation and dish fees were added to my first 3 bills

Form the Skylife site:

Download and fill in the order form below and send with other required documents via e-mail or fax.
- Required Documents : Copy of foreigner�s registration card and passport.
- FAX : 82-31-264-8666
- e-mail : [email protected]
Antrugha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys tried TVUPlayer? I just tried it and was watching baseball and WC in English on ESPN and ESPN2 or Wheel of Fortune on ABC or CNN for some crappy biased news. This network works like bittorrent so the more people the better. Definitely download it, it's awesome... AND FREE! Very Happy
bluelake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great program! I was just watching HBO http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/index.htm
DCJames

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVU Player is wonderful... I can't wait to watch Monday Night Football and College Football games on ABC and ESPN... Laughing

Last edited by DCJames on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
mmstyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Macintosh pros ut there? Reply with quote

For any mac savvy people out there, can you please help?

Ok, so last night I downloaded bittorrent and the player from videolan. Sometimes bittorrent seems to work. First, it took 4 hours to download something that then seemed not to exist. I tried again. It seemed to be there, but I could not open it in the VLC player (it tried once, but no sound, the picture was less than spectacular-is it based on the file?). My mac tries to open it with Quickplayer, but I just have the preinstalled one that seems to do nothing but sit there and tell you that if you spend more money, it will download an ACTUAL application. It doesn't seem to do anything but look pretty. Anything else I tried just would open, period, end of story.

So, I tried another show. Nothing would open. If I pay for Quicktime pro, will it work? It said that it can't read the codec (this is unfamiliar territory to me. I am more of a PC person, bought mac for to learn art programs, and I knew PCs inside and out about, oh 10 years ago....doesn't mean jack now. Before you bash me for buying an unfamiliar computer, I just want to say I need to learn this system if I want to go back for a masters or a PhD. in dxarts).

Quicktime pointed me to some of their 3rd party components, but the only one that mentioned tv viewing and codecs only mentioned Quicktime 5 and the program (according to the site notes) is about 2 years old. I tried it, and it gave install directions that don't make sense. Probably pre-macbook, and it mentioned file directories that aren't there when I follow the recommended path.

Anyway, the long and short of it is, I am confused as hell, and my very helpful neighbor is a pc guy and can't help me despite his best efforts.

So, any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I just arrived in Korea and would really like to watch my tv shows...a little English goes a long way. Thanks in advance.

mmStyle

ps, I tried DivX from the isohunt site, but it doesn't actually download anything, despite what I do. It doesn't seem to think it is a real application and tries to open it with Qtime.(?)
wormholes101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which bit torrent client are you using? The official one? I would try this one: http://transmission.m0k.org/

It's free and good for downloading.

To watch the stuff you download, you are on the right track. VLC is the one for you. Make sure you have the latest version. You should be able to right click the download and "open with VLC" or something like that.

If you're still having trouble, sign up here www.demonoid.com and join the forums. Plenty of mac people there who are into torrents.

Forget about quicktime~ That won't help you at all.
mmstyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using bit torrent from bitorrent.com. When I try to open w/ VLC I get the error: an error has occurred which probably prevented the execution of the program. it mentions the download then syas report it if you think it is a bug. Do you think that this is the bittorrent or VLC?
wormholes101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like VLC is having some trouble. Have you got the right version for your OS?

Try playing some mp3s to see if VLC is functioning.

Or it could be that your download is just a format which VLC doesn't support like .rmvb

Please give me the link to the torrent and i'll check it out...
mmstyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html
is the bit torrent I used. I just went to the right hand side where is says OSX, then
http://www.videolan.org/
where it says download now for Mac OS X.

Thanks for your help wormholes!

I have been making sure that the files I download say .avi
I'm just going to isohunt.com and typing the show (in my csse, the 4400) and pulling up what I am looking for. I download, click on the icon created desktop to do the actual download. Then, because it keeps trying to use QT, I click on the file and use file:open wiuth:VLC. That's when I get the error. Or I go to VLC and open fila and then browse to where I have put the download. I know therre is a way to get it to do it automatically, but I will figure that out when I know it is working properly.
mmstyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps, regarding demonoid, can I get an invite?
wormholes101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, invites are down at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow and see if they are up again.

It's very strange.. not sure what the problem is.

Please try playing an mp3 to see if that works.

If it doesn't work, then surely VLC is busted. Need to download it again and be absolutely sure you got the right one for the right version of MAC OS.

Look at this page. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html There are three different versions. One for Mac OS X package for 10.3.9 up to 10.4, another for Mac OS X package for 10.2, 10.3 up to 10.3.8 and finally one for Mac OS X package for 10.1

It's possible but unlikely that you've got a codec like h264 which sometimes has problems with VLC, again please give me a link to the particular torrent and I'll take a look.
mmstyle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wormholes. I will try a different ersion of vlc when I get home from school. I tried at least 4 torrents, all of which had the problem, so it seems more likely that I am using the wrong program.
EdInstead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Watch TV just like back home (or die trying) Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:

Slingbox is the new kid on the block and it will destroy cable TV and the Internet as we know it. What it is is an ugly hunk of plastic that shoots out a person's incoming cable signal over his outgoing broadband connection. You, the remote user, uses some special software to tap into that broadband broadcast. As long as your friend back at home has his cable TV box and Slingbox powered on, you can watch any channel coming over his cable wire. Naturally, you need someone back at home to set up a Slingbox and give you access to it.

See a discussions here:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=54344&sid=b32a636ec9208bd85c9cdd73bb0ca5cf
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=53266

Why do you encourage people to buy one of these things? Maybe you're just discussing it. Caught up in the excitement. Sure, they're great, but they'll be outlawed very soon.

Think they'll bring about the death of cable TV? They will never get the chance, as a free item. At best, they'll be embraced by cable TV companies, who will charge you extra for the service (a lot extra).

I have family members working for one of the largest cable companies in the USA. This was part of dinner-table discussion recently. Free-use Slingbox will be dead in under a year. The major cable guys are dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the lawsuit as we speak. Then, they'll probably have their own versions online soon afterward; at a price.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060427-6691.html

You think Korea will not follow suit? They're already outlawing use of internet phones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: